How complicated is it to understand.."Legal immigrants" GREAT! "illegal immigrants" NOT Good!

What's good about legal immigration when we already have an oversupply of labor in this country.
How many Americans are going to leave their suburban tract house and go pick lettuce for a couple weeks, then pick strawberries somewhere else for a couple weeks, then pick potatoes for a couple weeks, etc?

Ask a farmer how many Americans he is turning away so he can hire illegals.

Yeah, right. BWA-HA-HA-HA!

What about all the legal immigrants who are doctors or comparable professionals?

Why do we have to import that sort of labor?
We don't. you are equating their wanting to immigrate to America with an active recruitment of their profession.

Weeeellll, not exactly. I have worked for hospitals in various capacities for a number of years. One of those hospitals was a small hospital in a small town in central Kansas where I worked in radiology. As the hospital expanded along with its patient load, our one resident radiologist was unable to handle the whole load. We were unable to persuade a qualified American radiologist to join us in a small prairie town hospital that couldn't pay quite as much as a good radiologist can usually command. Dr. Raza, an Iranian, did want to come to the USA and because we sponsored his immigration, he did wind up in our department. And as I was leaving that hospital for another job, we were expecting Dr. Obando from Argentina, also recruited as an immigrant doctor and willing to guarantee our hospital a few years.
Here is the point.....Dr. Raza already wanted to come to America. It isn't like the State Department went to Iran on a random doctor hunt and looked him up and said, "We'll give you X if you come to America"....

I honestly don't know if he applied or was recruited. I do know they looked for months for an American doctor before they went after Dr. Raza. He did have impeccable credentials though and he was very good.

You really care about an administrative crime? Not the hundreds of thousands of crimes involving violence and the like?

If a legal immigrant is fine by you, but an illegal one isn't, but the only difference is some paperwork, why not express this same level of angst about other crimes? Why only the one involving foreigners?

You really care about an administrative crime? Not the hundreds of thousands of crimes involving violence and the like?

If a legal immigrant is fine by you, but an illegal one isn't, but the only difference is some paperwork, why not express this same level of angst about other crimes? Why only the one involving foreigners?

You are trivializing the importance of paperwork. Paperwork is proof of who we are and what we have done. Without paperwork, there is no distinction between a college graduate and a high-school dropout. There is no difference between a taxpayer and a tax evader or between a law abiding citizen and a career criminal. The difference between an illegal and a legal immigrant indeed involves paperwork; however, you seem to suggest that the paperwork is merely routine and thus irrelevant. Contrary to your suggestion, paperwork is an essential part of the application for citizenship, an application which can be denied. In order to qualify for citizenship immigrants must prove three things: (1) they can speak English (there are certain exceptions such as for the aged); (2) they must be of good character (no criminal record); and (3) they will not be a burden on society (they must be self-supporting or have a sponsor). Being fully documented means an immigrant has met the qualifications for citizenship. If all the border crossers had filled out the necessary paperwork and been investigated there is no doubt that many of them would have been denied citizenship.

Legal immigrants must prove their eligibility but illegal immigrants merely have to cross the border and they are welcome with open arms. It doesn't matter if they speak English; it doesn't matter if they have criminal records; and it doesn't matter if they will be totally dependent on the government for all their needs.

Legal immigration is a good thing because it brings the best and brightest into the country. Illegal immigration is bad because it brings in too many who are undesirable, are a burden to society and may even be a threat to this country.

Finally, you ask: “Why not express this same level of angst about other crimes? Why only the one involving foreigners?” I have no idea what makes you think that those who object to illegal immigration are not at least equally concerned with other crimes. The truth seems to be the very opposite: everyone is concerned with crimes such as murder, rape and robbery but not everyone cares as much about illegal immigration. Some people don't care at all and are in favor of open borders.

There is one thing I must make clear: there is nothing racial about being opposed to illegal immigration. The operative word is “illegal” which has no racial connotations whatsoever.

Conservatives want a border fence but don't want to pay for it's construction. Maybe we should force illegal immigrants and prisonors to build it? Lot's of illegal immigrants are experienced construction workers.

Or we could re-allocate funds from our overbloated military to building a fence. I keep hearing about how our southern border poses a national security risk. Why are conservatives so hard pressed to get serious about securing our borders?
Who says they don't want to pay for it? Dims are the ones who always whine about the cost. Of course, that's purely a ruse designed to justify not doing anything.

We can get the money for a fence by taking the money from Obama care that covers illegal aliens.

Forum List

Back