How come there are over 40,000 christian denominations and more invented daily

How come there are over 40,000 christian denominations and more invented daily?

Because diversity is the natural order. Just look around at nature. It is how consciousness evolves. It is no different than how technology evolves. When an idea reaches its practically complete state it, it takes off and rapidly expands. This is called the inflationary phase. Then it reaches it's equilibrium phase where the differences between the products compete until the next big breakthrough occurs thereby starting the cycle all over again. Think cell phones and computers. The key point here is that it is the differences in the products which fuels the competition until a breakthrough is achieved. Diversity of thought is the same way and it is a very good thing. So instead of disparaging something because it is diverse, one should recognize that it is entirely natural and predictable and does serve a vital role in evolving consciousness.

The Center for the Study of Global Christianity at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary estimated 34,000 denominations in 2000, rising to an estimated 43,000 in 2012. These numbers have exploded from 1,600 in the year 1900.

so which one is the one "true" church?

Catholics are very much in favor of greater unity among Christians. However, the "43,000" denominations needs to be understood in context. Catholics follow the same liturgical calendar which means I could walk into a Catholic Church anywhere on the planet on any given Sunday and the liturgy would be the same. While Catholic pastors have great leeway in running their parishes, some issues remain settled and the same for everyone practicing the Catholic faith.

Some non-Catholic denominations are a bit different, where many have total autonomy on how they run their individual church. Readings from the Bible are decided upon by the Pastor (or Pastoral Council). Thus, they are counted as "another" denomination as each church is its own Head.
The 40,000 plus are different denominations within christianity from baptists to new ones with a ling name and a short history, I found this on wiki List of Christian denominations by number of members - Wikipedia

As to my original question why all the denominations ?

How come there are over 40,000 christian denominations and more invented daily?

Because diversity is the natural order. Just look around at nature. It is how consciousness evolves. It is no different than how technology evolves. When an idea reaches its practically complete state it, it takes off and rapidly expands. This is called the inflationary phase. Then it reaches it's equilibrium phase where the differences between the products compete until the next big breakthrough occurs thereby starting the cycle all over again. Think cell phones and computers. The key point here is that it is the differences in the products which fuels the competition until a breakthrough is achieved. Diversity of thought is the same way and it is a very good thing. So instead of disparaging something because it is diverse, one should recognize that it is entirely natural and predictable and does serve a vital role in evolving consciousness.
So instead of disparaging something because it is diverse,

please show were I did that, If there is one "truth" why so many?

The EO and RC Church are the original ones, the rest are branches off the tree.
The RC is not in any way original. It was created by Emperor Constantine, and included Pagan practices. It is a perversion of the original Christian religion.

No it was created in the first century. Emp. Constantine tweaked it and decided to make it the empires main religion. No Rome , no Christianity.
Rome had nothing to do with the spread of Christianity. Where do you get this stuff?

How come you do not know this stuff. Do you really think there would be Christianity without Rome making it their empires religion.
The Roman empire persecuted early Christians. It spread to ever corner of the known world, in spite of that. How do YOU not know this? Rome created a paganized version of Christianity. That's all it did. Christianity would have spread, no matter what Rome did or didn't do. Actually, the only contribution of the Roman Empire was the fact that Rome controlled most of the known world, and had a system of roads that allowed for easy travel. This greatly aided the spread of the Gospel of Christ. Which explains why Jesus waited to be born at such a time. No. Rome had no part in the spread of Christianity, and actually tried to exterminate it's followers.

Only the zealots. Check out the Flavius name. Do you really think the Gospel would of spread if Rome didn't ok it. No. Also the first NT is Latin and from Rome, Rome is the center of Christianity.

There is also the fact that the RC church was responsible for the torture, rape, and murder of countless Christians. That, by itself, tells me it has nothing to do with true Christianity.

Where do you get this info?

Really? When did the Christian faith begin? I believe it was shortly after the death and Resurrection of Christ. So it was around centuries before the RC. Catholicism is not original. It has no authority whatsoever.

Christianity did begin with Christ. The Christian faith quickly became known as "catholic" which meant open and welcoming towards all. (As a contrasting example, there were certain criteria that needed to be followed for one to be a full-fledged member of the Jewish faith.) Fifteen hundred years later, Protestants--in an effort to differentiate their churches from the Catholic Church--simply stuck with Christian, pretty much a distinction without a difference, because these Christians churches consider themselves open/welcoming, just as the first catholic communities considered their churches--and the Catholic Church still does.

Recently, some Protestant churches hope by throwing "Constantine" at the Catholic Church, Protestants will believe that the Catholic Church was not the Church that can be traced back to the Apostles, but only to Constantine. This is wrong, of course, and it can be verified, but some Protestants are fine with deceiving themselves (or their followers) about the recent Constantine myth. Shrug. Some mud will stick, but as always, the truth will always shine forth.

There is also the fact that the RC church was responsible for the torture, rape, and murder of countless Christians. That, by itself, tells me it has nothing to do with true Christianity.

Where do you get this info?
I shouldn't dignify that with a reply. All I'll say is that you should look it up. The information is out there. Ever hear of the Inquisition? The Dark Ages?

The EO and RC Church are the original ones, the rest are branches off the tree.
The RC is not in any way original. It was created by Emperor Constantine, and included Pagan practices. It is a perversion of the original Christian religion.

No it was created in the first century. Emp. Constantine tweaked it and decided to make it the empires main religion. No Rome , no Christianity.
Rome had nothing to do with the spread of Christianity. Where do you get this stuff?

How come you do not know this stuff. Do you really think there would be Christianity without Rome making it their empires religion.
The Roman empire persecuted early Christians. It spread to ever corner of the known world, in spite of that. How do YOU not know this? Rome created a paganized version of Christianity. That's all it did. Christianity would have spread, no matter what Rome did or didn't do. Actually, the only contribution of the Roman Empire was the fact that Rome controlled most of the known world, and had a system of roads that allowed for easy travel. This greatly aided the spread of the Gospel of Christ. Which explains why Jesus waited to be born at such a time. No. Rome had no part in the spread of Christianity, and actually tried to exterminate it's followers.
The entire trinity thing and naming jesus a co god didn't come in until the council of nicea in 325 CE , as sunday worship

some history

How the Council of Nicea Changed the World

Really? When did the Christian faith begin? I believe it was shortly after the death and Resurrection of Christ. So it was around centuries before the RC. Catholicism is not original. It has no authority whatsoever.

Christianity did begin with Christ. The Christian faith quickly became known as "catholic" which meant open and welcoming towards all. (As a contrasting example, there were certain criteria that needed to be followed for one to be a full-fledged member of the Jewish faith.) Fifteen hundred years later, Protestants--in an effort to differentiate their churches from the Catholic Church--simply stuck with Christian, pretty much a distinction without a difference, because these Christians churches consider themselves open/welcoming, just as the first catholic communities considered their churches--and the Catholic Church still does.

Recently, some Protestant churches hope by throwing "Constantine" at the Catholic Church, Protestants will believe that the Catholic Church was not the Church that can be traced back to the Apostles, but only to Constantine. This is wrong, of course, and it can be verified, but some Protestants are fine with deceiving themselves (or their followers) about the recent Constantine myth. Shrug. Some mud will stick, but as always, the truth will always shine forth.
One thing you fail to understand. Organized religion is not the Church. It is composed of the body of believers in Christ. There are many traditions in the Catholic Church that are not in agreement with Scripture. If I had my way, there would be no Christian denominations. The Catholic Church is responsible for more human suffering than any other entity in human history. That tells me it is not of God. I could give countless examples, but my time is valuable. Look it up. Educate yourself.

The 40,000 plus are different denominations within christianity from baptists to new ones with a ling name and a short history, I found this on wiki List of Christian denominations by number of members - Wikipedia

As to my original question why all the denominations ?

As I explained before, in this count, the designations of how many denominations is decided upon, not be the number of different beliefs, but the number of jurisdictions. Let's use Safeway grocery stores as a comparison. There is one Safeway Corporation, but about 1300 Safeway stores--some running under the names of Vons, Randalls, or Tom Thumb. Argue all you want that this represents over a thousand businesses, but they are all under one umbrella.

A more pertinent discussion(s) would be over the actual divisions in Christianity--For example, those who believe in Scripture Alone versus those who also believe Tradition as valuable as Scripture. There are those who believe God, before time, already decided who would be with Him eternally, and who would not. This, in contrast to those who believe individual free will is very much in play.

The entire trinity thing and naming jesus a co god didn't come in until the council of nicea in 325 CE , as sunday worship

some history

One can read the prep and proof of the gospel by Eusebius to Emp. Constantine as well as to why they decided Christianity would be the best religion, because a common religion brings unity to an empire or country. The NT was wrote in the later part of the first century.

some history

Jesus forgave sins. Something only God can do. What does that tell you? Jesus said that I and My Father are one. He also said that if you have seen Me, you have seen the Father. Jesus claimed equality with God. This is the very reason the Jews wanted to stone Him. All things were made through HIM (JESUS) and without Him was not anything made that was made. There is also the simple fact that Man sinned against God. So only God would be able to take our place and accept the punishment for that sin. No created being could do this. Jesus is God. Three persons. One being. And the Trinity is not Polytheism. It is simply acknowledging the fact that God has a dual nature.

One thing you fail to understand. Organized religion is not the Church. It is composed of the body of believers in Christ. There are many traditions in the Catholic Church that are not in agreement with Scripture. If I had my way, there would be no Christian denominations. The Catholic Church is responsible for more human suffering than any other entity in human history. That tells me it is not of God. I could give countless examples, but my time is valuable. Look it up. Educate yourself.

I have many years of study and fact checking under my belt. I would suggest you do some fact checking, but have already concluded you are happy and content with factoid statements. Just keep in mind that actual history is much more fascinating.

I have many years of study and fact checking under my belt. I would suggest you do some fact checking, but have already concluded you are happy and content with factoid statements. Just keep in mind that actual history is much more fascinating.
I guess we'll just have to disagree on this. I do know my history. I know the atrocities that the Catholic Church has committed. I know how it persecuted Christians. I know how Catholic Priests have molested children, and forced women to have sex with them by threatening to hand them over to the inquisition. I could go on and on. The Catholic Church has too much innocent blood on it's hands to be anything other than a lie, perpetrated by the Devil. I don't need religion. I have Gods word. That's all I need.

please show were I did that, If there is one "truth" why so many?
Who said it was directed to you? I answered why? It is natural. We see it everywhere in nature. Diversification serves a purpose. That's how we evolve.

I guess we'll just have to disagree on this. I do know my history. I know the atrocities that the Catholic Church has committed. I know how it persecuted Christians. I know how Catholic Priests have molested children, and forced women to have sex with them by threatening to hand them over to the inquisition. I could go on and on. The Catholic Church has too much innocent blood on it's hands to be anything other than a lie, perpetrated by the Devil. I don't need religion. I have Gods word. That's all I need.

No you know what you have been told. The RCC did more good than bad. They also fought the Crusades , where were the Protestants when one needed them , not there. You have been propaganda by the Protestants haters. The pedophiles were not as plentiful as they let on, and at first Priests were allowed to be married, and no they didn't torture women in the inquisitions.

The word was given to you by Rome, like it or not.

The first obstacle to overcome is to distinguish between acts committed by individual Catholics--and those which were actions/directions by the Church. For example, according to statistics, it can be shown that for every three priests who were pedophiles, there were ninety-seven who were not. Jesus chose Twelve Apostles. One, (one-twelfth or eight percent). There have been a fewer percentage of Catholic priests found guilty of pedophilia than the percentage of the overall population.

I could also go on and on, but I'm certain my point is understood. Your particular Christian denomination would fare no better than Catholicism, Judaism, Buddhism, atheism, etc. This is unfortunate for all.

Forum List

Back