House Republicans still want to rip out the 14th amendment....

And the biggest evidence of all that this whole thing was about slavery comes from the Vice-President of the Confederacy, one Alexander Stephens, in an extemporaneous speech now known as the Cornerstone-Speech, delivered just three weeks after Lincoln was inaugurated:

Cornerstone Speech - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

Corner Stone Speech Teaching American History

"Our new government is founded upon exactly the opposite idea; its foundations are laid, its corner- stone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery subordination to the superior race is his natural and normal condition. This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth. This truth has been slow in the process of its development, like all other truths in the various departments of science. It has been so even amongst us. Many who hear me, perhaps, can recollect well, that this truth was not generally admitted, even within their day. The errors of the past generation still clung to many as late as twenty years ago. Those at the North, who still cling to these errors, with a zeal above knowledge, we justly denominate fanatics. All fanaticism springs from an aberration of the mind from a defect in reasoning. It is a species of insanity. One of the most striking characteristics of insanity, in many instances, is forming correct conclusions from fancied or erroneous premises; so with the anti-slavery fanatics. Their conclusions are right if their premises were. They assume that the negro is equal, and hence conclude that he is entitled to equal privileges and rights with the white man. If their premises were correct, their conclusions would be logical and just but their premise being wrong, their whole argument fails. I recollect once of having heard a gentleman from one of the northern States, of great power and ability, announce in the House of Representatives, with imposing effect, that we of the South would be compelled, ultimately, to yield upon this subject of slavery, that it was as impossible to war successfully against a principle in politics, as it was in physics or mechanics. That the principle would ultimately prevail. That we, in maintaining slavery as it exists with us, were warring against a principle, a principle founded in nature, the principle of the equality of men. The reply I made to him was, that upon his own grounds, we should, ultimately, succeed, and that he and his associates, in this crusade against our institutions, would ultimately fail. The truth announced, that it was as impossible to war successfully against a principle in politics as it was in physics and mechanics, I admitted; but told him that it was he, and those acting with him, who were warring against a principle. They were attempting to make things equal which the Creator had made unequal."

No shit. Those words came out of the mouth of the Vice-President of the Confederacy, a racist all the way down to his boots.

Like I said, butthurt racists can run, but they cannot hide. History is NOT on their side in this matter. It never will be.

MarcATL
Asclepias
If you think thats something take a gander at this. texas was trying to bring this back to vote a while ago.

Corwin Amendment - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

"Technically still pending before the states, it would, if ratified, shield "domestic institutions" of the states (which in 1861 included slavery) from the constitutional amendment process and from abolition or interference by Congress."

Your hero Lincoln approved of the Amendment and was trying to get Congress to pass it as a means of preventing the Civil war.

Lincoln's priority was the preservation of the Union. Not ending slavery. He's on record as saying that if he could save the union without freeing any slaves, he would. He just didn't think the nation could stand as half slave, half free.

As always the far left drones don't know what they are talking about!

He used it as a rally cry to get troops fired up!

The North burned cities to the ground. I am sure that was productive..

You far left drones need to learn the real history not the one your are programmed with..

Issues including states’ rights versus federal authority and westward expansion .

Lincoln had used the occasion of the Union victory at Antietam to issue a preliminary Emancipation Proclamation, which freed all slaves in the rebellious states after January 1, 1863. He justified his decision as a wartime measure, and did not go so far as to free the slaves in the border states loyal to the Union. Still, the Emancipation Proclamation deprived the Confederacy of the bulk of its labor forces and put international public opinion strongly on the Union side.
Lincoln freed the slaves as punishment for you losers since you hinged everything on slavery. You gambled and lost. Stop whining.

And the biggest evidence of all that this whole thing was about slavery comes from the Vice-President of the Confederacy, one Alexander Stephens, in an extemporaneous speech now known as the Cornerstone-Speech, delivered just three weeks after Lincoln was inaugurated:

"Our new government is founded upon exactly the opposite idea; its foundations are laid, its corner- stone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery subordination to the superior race is his natural and normal condition. This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth. This truth has been slow in the process of its development, like all other truths in the various departments of science. It has been so even amongst us. Many who hear me, perhaps, can recollect well, that this truth was not generally admitted, even within their day. The errors of the past generation still clung to many as late as twenty years ago. Those at the North, who still cling to these errors, with a zeal above knowledge, we justly denominate fanatics. All fanaticism springs from an aberration of the mind from a defect in reasoning. It is a species of insanity. One of the most striking characteristics of insanity, in many instances, is forming correct conclusions from fancied or erroneous premises; so with the anti-slavery fanatics. Their conclusions are right if their premises were. They assume that the negro is equal, and hence conclude that he is entitled to equal privileges and rights with the white man. If their premises were correct, their conclusions would be logical and just but their premise being wrong, their whole argument fails. I recollect once of having heard a gentleman from one of the northern States, of great power and ability, announce in the House of Representatives, with imposing effect, that we of the South would be compelled, ultimately, to yield upon this subject of slavery, that it was as impossible to war successfully against a principle in politics, as it was in physics or mechanics. That the principle would ultimately prevail. That we, in maintaining slavery as it exists with us, were warring against a principle, a principle founded in nature, the principle of the equality of men. The reply I made to him was, that upon his own grounds, we should, ultimately, succeed, and that he and his associates, in this crusade against our institutions, would ultimately fail. The truth announced, that it was as impossible to war successfully against a principle in politics as it was in physics and mechanics, I admitted; but told him that it was he, and those acting with him, who were warring against a principle. They were attempting to make things equal which the Creator had made unequal."

No shit. Those words came out of the mouth of the Vice-President of the Confederacy, a racist all the way down to his boots.

Like I said, butthurt racists can run, but they cannot hide. History is NOT on their side in this matter. It never will be.

MarcATL
Asclepias
If you think thats something take a gander at this. texas was trying to bring this back to vote a while ago.

"Technically still pending before the states, it would, if ratified, shield "domestic institutions" of the states (which in 1861 included slavery) from the constitutional amendment process and from abolition or interference by Congress."

Your hero Lincoln approved of the Amendment and was trying to get Congress to pass it as a means of preventing the Civil war.

Lincoln's priority was the preservation of the Union. Not ending slavery. He's on record as saying that if he could save the union without freeing any slaves, he would. He just didn't think the nation could stand as half slave, half free.

Yes, we know Lincoln didn't give a crap about the slaves. That was my point. Your fellow libturd is castigating Texas for the Corwin Amendment, but your hero Lincoln supported it.

Only, that's not true and your saying neenerneenerneener won't change the truth.

MarcATL
Asclepias

You far left drones need to learn the real history not the one your are programmed with..

Issues including states’ rights versus federal authority and westward expansion .

Lincoln had used the occasion of the Union victory at Antietam to issue a preliminary Emancipation Proclamation, which freed all slaves in the rebellious states after January 1, 1863. He justified his decision as a wartime measure, and did not go so far as to free the slaves in the border states loyal to the Union. Still, the Emancipation Proclamation deprived the Confederacy of the bulk of its labor forces and put international public opinion strongly on the Union side.
Lincoln freed the slaves as punishment for you losers since you hinged everything on slavery. You gambled and lost. Stop whining.

He also did it out of conviction.

MarcATL
Asclepias

Yes, we know Lincoln didn't give a crap about the slaves. That was my point. Your fellow libturd is castigating Texas for the Corwin Amendment, but your hero Lincoln supported it.

We 'know' no such thing. Lincoln found slavery deplorable, the entire practice to be antithetical to the idea of freedom. He simply valued the union more than he did the freedom of slaves.

So your point is moot. Lincoln supported it because his priority was the Union. And he was looking for a non-confrontational solution to the issue. Just like Henry Clay did with the Missouri Compromise.

MarcATL
Asclepias

Says the far left drone!

Damn, they just never learn.

Going on RIGHT NOW, in the HOR Judiciary Committee:

Hearing Birthright Citizenship Is it the Right Policy for America - Hearings - Judiciary Committee

HEARING: BIRTHRIGHT CITIZENSHIP: IS IT THE RIGHT POLICY FOR AMERICA?

Among the list of those invited is a person from the Claremont Institute, an extreme-Right-Wing think-tank.

And Rep. King just did this about 3 hours ago, at the hearing.

View attachment 40561

This HOR may just go down in history as most stupid HOR we have ever had.

Many, many important issues, and they are focused on wanting to kill the 14th amendment because of what they call "anchor babies".

Go figure.

No, that would be Maxine Waters

MarcATL
Asclepias

Only, that's not true and your saying neenerneenerneener won't change the truth.

Yes, but it does not stop you from posting!

He only believed in freedom. Here is some conviction for you. Good Ole Abe was a racist make no mistake.

Lincoln-on-race.jpg

He only believed in freedom. Here is some conviction for you. Good Ole Abe was a racist make no mistake.

Lincoln-on-race.jpg

Coming from the hate filled racist far left drones, they should know..

Lincoln-on-race.jpg

:eek:

MarcATL
Asclepias

Nah. Freeing the slaves wasn't about punishment. It was about ending an institution that Lincoln came to believe the union could not endure. And his own feelings about how antithetical slavery was to the concept of freedom. And framing the war for a nation that had grown weary of the fight, making it a fight for freedom rather than merely putting down the rebellion. Finally, by the end of his presidency Lincoln's estimation of what blacks were capable of jumped considerably. With Lincoln advocating that educated blacks and those who fought for the Union should be granted the vote.

Lincoln-on-race.jpg
Of course Lincoln was a racist. He would have handled it differently. Had he not been assassinated he would have rounded up every black person in the US and sent them all back to Africa.

Nah. Freeing the slaves wasn't about punishment. It was about ending an institution that Lincoln came to believe the union could not endure. And his own feelings about how antithetical slavery was to the concept of freedom. And framing the war for a nation that had grown weary of the fight, making it a fight for freedom rather than merely putting down the rebellion. Finally, by the end of his presidency Lincoln's estimation of what blacks were capable of jumped considerably. With Lincoln advocating that educated blacks and those who fought for the Union should be granted the vote.
Naw. If that was the case he would have freed the slaves in the non confederate states.

Lincoln-on-race.jpg

Oh definitely, especially before he became president. But two things to remember:

First, Lincoln was trying to persuade. Which in classic rhetoric is done by agreeing with most of your audience's views and then nudging them on one issue. Lincoln was appealing to a generally racist audience. So most of what he is agreeing to as part of persuasive rhetoric are the views his audience already holds. His own views in private correspondance was far less severe. Though he definitely didn't believe the black race and white were equals.

Second, his views evolved. What you're quoting are from a senate campaign. By the end of his presidency he advocated the vote for educated blacks and those that had fought for the union army. This was almost certainly to his exposure to Fredrick Douglas, an articulate and educated black man who challenged many of Lincoln's views on what the 'black race' was capable of.

once again you keep posting incorrect information, typical for a far left drone..

Then again it shows you do not know real history..

He freed the slaves in the south in order to reduce the numbers in the southern military.

Let us also not forget that he did suspend habeas corpus.

Lincoln-on-race.jpg
Of course Lincoln was a racist. He would have handled it differently. Had he not been assassinated he would have rounded up every black person in the US and sent them all back to Africa.
Naw. He changed his mind about that a year before he was assassinated. He knew your ancestors were too lazy to work like the enslaved.

Last edited:
Only the Right loves lose money on Commerce at our borders while complaining the least wealthy are eating steak and lobster on food stamps.

True. THe Left loves to lose money on Commerce at our borders while being happy that the least wealthy are eating steak and lobster on food stamps.

Forum List

Back