House Bill Would Revoke Washington NFL Team's Trademarks

You'd think native Americans would be proud to have their imagine on things within our country. ;) As a half breed native myself I am!
As a half breed Iroquois I am not at all insulted. It's an honor.

There is a high school football team composed entirely of Navajo who call themselves the Navajo Redskins. They would also have to change their name and won't be at all happy about it.

n-WASHINGTON-REDSKINS-LOGO-large570.jpg

Rep. Mike Honda (D-Calif.) introduced legislation Tuesday that would revoke trademarks for the Washington NFL team for as long as the franchise keeps its controversial name.

"It is unbelievable to me that, in the 21st century, a prominent NFL franchise is calling itself by a racial slur," Honda said in a statement. "Team names should not be offensive to anyone. Allowing trademark protection of this word is akin to the government approving its use. Removing that trademark will send a clear message that this name is not acceptable."

The bill would officially deem the word "redskins" a disparaging term, making it ineligible for trademark under the Lanham Act. The legislation would retroactively revoke the team's existing trademarks and block new ones using the term. Honda co-sponsored similar legislation in 2013.

More: House Bill Would Revoke Washington NFL Team s Trademarks

Sounds good. However, Republicans will probably vote against the bill.

Hey fuck face, you ever hear of the first amendment right to free speech?

Hey, it's the little lying maggot. Tell it to Congress.

Congress needs to be reminded that they aren't legally able to write laws that impede free speech? That's sad.
Or impair contracts.

You'd think native Americans would be proud to have their imagine on things within our country. ;) As a half breed native myself I am!
As a half breed Iroquois I am not at all insulted. It's an honor.

There is a high school football team composed entirely of Navajo who call themselves the Navajo Redskins. They would also have to change their name and won't be at all happy about it.
My kids are half breed Blackfeet!

Nobody asks average NA's like us. The media is lazy and lets leftist NA groups represent us like Al Sharpton represents black people.

And it's no wonder because the average Indian that doesn't have a political motive is the most easy going, thick skinned person. We don't get bent out of shape over being called redskin, injun, savage, whatever. We're much like white people that way, not feeling threatened by words.

This isn't coming from American Indians, it's coming from race obsessed guilty white Leftists looking to stir shit up on our behalf and make us look like assholes trying to change a football team's cherished name.

Fuck them.

Rep. Mike Honda (D-Calif.) introduced legislation Tuesday that would revoke trademarks for the Washington NFL team for as long as the franchise keeps its controversial name.

"It is unbelievable to me that, in the 21st century, a prominent NFL franchise is calling itself by a racial slur," Honda said in a statement. "Team names should not be offensive to anyone. Allowing trademark protection of this word is akin to the government approving its use. Removing that trademark will send a clear message that this name is not acceptable."

The bill would officially deem the word "redskins" a disparaging term, making it ineligible for trademark under the Lanham Act. The legislation would retroactively revoke the team's existing trademarks and block new ones using the term. Honda co-sponsored similar legislation in 2013.

You might want to look up the definition of a "Bill of Attainder", it's unconstitutional and will never see a vote.

You might want to look up the definition of a "Bill of Attainder", it's unconstitutional and will never see a vote.

Actually, you're looking for the phrase "ex post facto." A bill of attainder is a legislative action declaring a person guilty of a crime. For example, a bill which read "OKTexas is hereby guilty of murder" would be a bill of attainder. The above bill is not a bill of attainder, it is a bill dealing with trademarks. Congress has the power to legislate trademark issues. However, this particular bill would (allegedly, since I haven't actually read the link yet) violate the ex post facto clause. Congress does not have the power to pass retroactive laws.

Actually, you're looking for the phrase "ex post facto." A bill of attainder is a legislative action declaring a person guilty of a crime. For example, a bill which read "OKTexas is hereby guilty of murder" would be a bill of attainder. The above bill is not a bill of attainder, it is a bill dealing with trademarks. Congress has the power to legislate trademark issues. However, this particular bill would (allegedly, since I haven't actually read the link yet) violate the ex post facto clause. Congress does not have the power to pass retroactive laws.
Sorry, it's a bill of attainder because it is declaring one corporation guilty of some unnamed offence.

People in different parties throughout time want to change labels to something that means the same thing but new. Say a cuss word in a Conservatives face and watch them recoil with anger, then try related words such as sex, poop, female dog, darn, etc.

Word protection started long ago.

The only "Redskins" that are angry about their representation are the ones politically driven and the Left is not part of that from what I have read.

But who can blame them, we did come to their land and shoot them. Maybe they hold grudges like slaves who we kidnapped and enslaved. SO STRANGE!

People in different parties throughout time want to change labels to something that means the same thing but new. Say a cuss word in a Conservatives face and watch them recoil with anger, then try related words such as sex, poop, female dog, darn, etc.

Word protection started long ago.

The only "Redskins" that are angry about their representation are the ones politically driven and the Left is not part of that from what I have read.

But who can blame them, we did come to their land and shoot them. Maybe they hold grudges like slaves who we kidnapped and enslaved. SO STRANGE!

The left isn't behind the attack on the Redskins? You're serious?

Wonder what they would do to this?

image.jpg

They would probably wonder why you are off topic and farming to be the top poster of a forum that doesn't screen people that are off topic.

Seems basic to me.

Off topic.... they regulate a word that only recently has a negative attached to it, but not nigga which has for decades a negative connotation. What ever happened to free speech? You don't like a word, don't use it!

They would probably wonder why you are off topic and farming to be the top poster of a forum that doesn't screen people that are off topic.

Seems basic to me.

Off topic.... they regulate a word that only recently has a negative attached to it, but not nigga which has for decades a negative connotation. What ever happened to free speech? You don't like a word, don't use it!

You should know the difference between revoking a (™) and controlling a word nationally........

Or are you stating that the American people can't say "Indians" anymore?

Seems basic to me.

You should know the difference between revoking a (™) and controlling a word nationally........

Isn't INDIANS a no no? Indigenous people is the proper term used by the asshole PC people.

Seems basic to me.

Isn't INDIANS a no no? Indigenous people is the proper term used by the asshole PC people.

Actually their tribe names are the PC label.

We called them Indians when we "discovered America" and thought we landed in India..........

Forum List

Back