House Bill to Lower Insulin Costs PASSES - 193 GOPers Voted AGAINST it - Just 12 Voted FOR

Insulin is not one of the most expensive liquids on the planet. Stop believing the propaganda. The democrats just cannot stop fondling healthcare.

"Available exclusively through Walmart’s private ReliOn brand, the new offering includes analog insulin vials ($72.88) and FlexPen® ($85.88). These products will save customers between 58% to 75% off the cash price of branded analog insulin products, which translates to a savings of up to $101 per branded vial or $251 per package of branded FlexPens®." Walmart Revolutionizes Insulin Access & Affordability for Patients With Diabetes With the Launch of the First and Only Private Brand Analog Insulin

As the parent of a type-1 diabetic I live this each and every day. Do you have any real life experience with Type-1s? Have you had to purchase insulin for the past decade?

Going by your link. $72.88 for a vial of insulin, a low grade insulin which does not work as well as the better insulins.

A vial of insulin is 10ml of liquid. It takes 3785 of those to make a gallon. That comes out to 270 grand per gallon. Can you name too many other liquids that cost more than that?

As the parent of a type-1 diabetic I live this each and every day. Do you have any real life experience with Type-1s? Have you had to purchase insulin for the past decade?

Going by your link. $72.88 for a vial of insulin, a low grade insulin which does not work as well as the better insulins.

A vial of insulin is 10ml of liquid. It takes 3785 of those to make a gallon. That comes out to 270 grand per gallon. Can you name too many other liquids that cost more than that?

See now you are just lying. insulin is insulin. Their's is not "low grade insulin". and your own source contradicts your "math" People do not want to use real insulin. The only reason they have alternatives is because their is a profit motive to come up with them. Take that away, and you will have no more new insulin drugs.

The measure would cap insulin costs at $35 a month for consumers enrolled in both private health insurance plans and Medicare. Currently, based on the patient’s condition and choice of treatments, costs can range from $334 to $1,000 a month for insulin, according to a 2020 Kaiser Family Foundation report.

This is a really good bill. If you know any Diabetics - it is a very expensive and unfair lifestyle. Those poor people pay a truckload for treatment. Anything to help their burden is great.

193 GOPers voted against it of course. Thoughts?

How many times will BOTH sides name a bill after only one small part of the bill... the rest filled with pork... an dthen scream when the other side doesn't vote for it.
The oldest trick in the book that only the sheep and parrots fall for.
Which one are you?

See now you are just lying. insulin is insulin. Their's is not "low grade insulin".

Wrong again. Not all insulin is created equally. Some does not work as effectively as others. Read some reviews of the WalMart insulin on diabetic forums and you will find many people have problems with it and have to use more of it than they did a different brand.

Again, you are speaking from a position of ignorance while I have lived it daily for more than a decade

and your own source contradicts your "math"

The source was using prices from 2002-2013, things have changed. Are you saying your own linked lied about the prices they are charging?

Now, I am lucky to have really good insurance so we only pay about 2 grand a gallon, which is still more expensive than most any other liquid.

The only reason they have alternatives is because their is a profit motive to come up with them. Take that away, and you will have no more new insulin drugs.

They can still make a profit when restricted to 35 bucks a vial. Insulin cost between 2 and 6 bucks a vial to make depending on the company making it.

How many times will BOTH sides name a bill after only one small part of the bill... the rest filled with pork... an dthen scream when the other side doesn't vote for it.
The oldest trick in the book that only the sheep and parrots fall for.
Which one are you?

can you list the pork in this bill for us?

I would never say "free markets do not exist at all". Nonetheless, here you are trying to stuff that down my throat.
I never stuffed anything down your throat. I asked a simple damn question. The fact a question offends you says more about you than me.

That alone is enough to tell me you're not worth further effort.
And yet you prattle on.
Certainly not in an abstract topic such as this where lots of subtlety and nuance is clearly called for. However, I did look back to see where you started just to make sure I wasn't missing anything important. Here's an excerpt from that grand, bloviating entrance:
And getting that out of you is like pulling teeth.
Now pay attention. Notice your use of > "the" < singular > "free market" -- not "markets."
So your entire bullshit rant is because of a missing s. Really?
Notice how I'm quoting YOUR actual words, not insisting you respond to any stupid, strawman questions.
Uh, you actually WERE insisting I respond to your question. And you actually quoted my words but responded to A word. Just one. Market. Because it was not markets....

And to Boot:
However:
Way to completely ignore my question. Hypocrite much?
So you are being a hypocrite and lying about it. Get a mirror.

Finally, but not least, notice you're spouting utter bullshit, as any cursory check of the associated research findings would easily reveal. Our government has never overtly prevented local competitors from entering the insulin production market. It has been argued by many that its policies have had that effect. No shit. But again, it's never actually removed the product from any market nor placed it anywhere. You're just banging off the walls, which is typical of "free market" über alles, libertarian boneheads everywhere.

Government cannot corrupt itself. That takes people who already have way too much. Meanwhile, the majority still have basic needs to worry about and limited budgets.
It does not prevent competition in the production and sale of drugs? Really? Of course they have not removed a product from the market - it would be illegal to sell it in the first place ergo there are no products to remove. They are prevented from ever being allowed onto the market in the first place. I pointed to what was preventing competition but you of course ignored that. Because you don't like the word market rather than markets. And you call my statements 'bloviating.'

The fact is there are massive hurdles for getting a new product on the market. If you want to bring the price down there is an easy solution, allow anyone to manufacture and sell the product, a process which CANNOT be done right now because the authorization for producing and selling insulin in the US are held by 3 major companies and no one else can come in and sell it. Not even the other major players on the world stage as there are several other major manufacturers already. The drug itself faces unique hurdles for competition because it is classified differently than most other drugs and certainly different than anything else that would be in a similar situation.

Your entire rant is nothing more than outright bitching that anyone would refer to free markets or free market solutions. That is not a point, that actually IS bloviating. It is bullshit. Your one and only point is to claim that the government does not overtly prevent people from entering the market. A bullshit claim if there ever was one. They do and they do wo with massive bar to entry for competing biologic drugs. Not the least of which there simple is no way to introduce a generic of insulin in the standard sense, FDA approval would require testing and comparison against the original biologic which simply does not exist because insulin was not produced and approved as a biologic. The regulatory structure for that classification did not exist then but does now. Meaning there is no pathway for competition to even get approved.

Further, as patents run out on the drugs, the main 3 simply patent delivery methods, an asinine concept if there ever was one. No longer control the production of the drug? Simple, control every method that you can put the drug in your body and bam, you maintain control over the industry anyway. That should not even exist, there is noting new or revolutionary about a needle, it is an old invention well past the date that anyone should be able to produce them or even produce similar vials to be loaded into existing pen needles.

In short, your bullshit complaint that a cursory search shows that regulatory structures do not overtly prevent any real competition in the American insulin market is bullshit 'bloviation' on your part and nothing more than a reflection that you do not give a rats ass about the topic in question. Rather you want to use it as a hammer to bitch about what you really are against, a free market.

because one is based on free open markets and the other is fascist
That is a nice buzzword but does not say anything at all.

Again, WHY?

The one that is closer to 'fascism' would be the one passed by dictate from on high. You would need to establish why the legislative one is a fascistic move when it inherently not the case and why the one passed by an executor is not.

Wrong again. Not all insulin is created equally. Some does not work as effectively as others. Read some reviews of the WalMart insulin on diabetic forums and you will find many people have problems with it and have to use more of it than they did a different brand.

Again, you are speaking from a position of ignorance while I have lived it daily for more than a decade

The source was using prices from 2002-2013, things have changed. Are you saying your own linked lied about the prices they are charging?

Now, I am lucky to have really good insurance so we only pay about 2 grand a gallon, which is still more expensive than most any other liquid.

They can still make a profit when restricted to 35 bucks a vial. Insulin cost between 2 and 6 bucks a vial to make depending on the company making it.

Boo hoo diabetics who want a name brand have to pay twice as much for a generic.

That is a nice buzzword but does not say anything at all.

Again, WHY?

The one that is closer to 'fascism' would be the one passed by dictate from on high. You would need to establish why the legislative one is a fascistic move when it inherently not the case and why the one passed by an executor is not.
um the legislature is the “from on high”

i am not sure how you can’t grasp the difference between a Govt making a law saying they will only pay X, versus Govt acting like you and me and barging for a better deal with a vendor

The measure would cap insulin costs at $35 a month for consumers enrolled in both private health insurance plans and Medicare. Currently, based on the patient’s condition and choice of treatments, costs can range from $334 to $1,000 a month for insulin, according to a 2020 Kaiser Family Foundation report.

This is a really good bill. If you know any Diabetics - it is a very expensive and unfair lifestyle. Those poor people pay a truckload for treatment. Anything to help their burden is great.

193 GOPers voted against it of course. Thoughts?
Soon there will be price controls on toilet paper, you will then be wiping your ass with corn cobs because no one will make it, government control is one step closer to communism. :auiqs.jpg: :auiqs.jpg: :auiqs.jpg: :auiqs.jpg:

um the legislature is the “from on high”

i am not sure how you can’t grasp the difference between a Govt making a law saying they will only pay X, versus Govt acting like you and me and barging for a better deal with a vendor
And the executor is not on high? So that is obviously not the underlying principal in question.

So you cant actually point to anything other than platitudes?

Because that is going to get nowhere.

I cant get my head rfound the high cost of insulin in the states. Over here my insurance covers the whole cost and I do not get charged a penny. All the other diabetes drugs are not charged either as my national insurance covers it.
My insurance also covers eye tests and chiropody. In fact there are no charges at all relating to diabetes.
Why do you allow yourselves to be ripped off in this way ?

Idiotic Reaganite nationalism for one. Just posted more on that here.
Yes its very depressing. Its an unhealthy cabal of politicians and insurance copanies. A conspiracy against the working man.
Strangely it seems to be the only conspiracy that the right hasnt adiopted. But there it is in plain sight.

I cant get my head rfound the high cost of insulin in the states. Over here my insurance covers the whole cost and I do not get charged a penny. All the other diabetes drugs are not charged either as my national insurance covers it.
My insurance also covers eye tests and chiropody. In fact there are no charges at all relating to diabetes.
Why do you allow yourselves to be ripped off in this way ?
Let me get this straight. According to you, paying for healthcare is a ripoff? ??

What about food? Housing? Is everything you have to pay for a ripoff, or just healthcare?

Strangely it seems to be the only conspiracy that the right hasnt adiopted.
They did. Now they just conveniently forget that Obamacare was originally named Romneycare. How do we save our bourgeoning "health insurance" cabal? I know, let's force shitty, overpriced, "minimal coverage" upon the riffraff while subsidizing this farce in their names.. Then we can just keep blaming Medicare and Medicaid for the continuing high price of "health care." Perfect!

Let me get this straight. According to you, paying for healthcare is a ripoff? ??

What about food? Housing? Is everything you have to pay for a ripoff, or just healthcare?
No. Everybody pays for it. Its just that our system is fairer and more efficient than your system. It is indeed a rip off and unfair.

Forum List

Back