HOOK AND DRAW! Understanding the 21' Rule

Status
Not open for further replies.

BullKurtz

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2013
RIGHT BEHIND YOU
Don't bring a knife to a gunfight? Hmmmmm.....

Once he perceives a signal to do so, the AVERAGE officer requires 1.5 seconds to draw from a snapped Level II holster and fire one unsighted round at center mass. Add 1/4 of a second for firing a second round, and another 1/10 of a second for obtaining a flash sight picture for the average officer.

The fastest officer tested required 1.31 seconds to draw from a Level II holster and get off his first unsighted round.The slowest officer tested required 2.25 seconds.

For the average officer to draw and fire an unsighted round from a snapped Level III holster, which is becoming increasingly popular in LE because of its extra security features, takes 1.7 seconds.

Meanwhile, the AVERAGE suspect with an edged weapon raised in the traditional "ice-pick" position can go from a dead stop to level, unobstructed surface offering good traction in 1.5-1.7 seconds.

The "fastest, most skillful, most powerful" subject FSRC tested "easily" covered that distance in 1.27 seconds. Intense rage, high agitation and/or the influence of stimulants may even shorten that time, Lewinski observes.

Even the slowest subject "lumbered" through this distance in just 2.5 seconds.

Bottom line: Within a 21-foot perimeter, most officers dealing with most edged-weapon suspects are at a decided - perhaps fatal - disadvantage if the suspect launches a sudden charge intent on harming them. "Certainly it is not safe to have your gun in your holster at this distance," Lewinski says, and firing in hopes of stopping an activated attack within this range may well be justified.

Edged Weapon Defense Is or was the 21-foot rule valid Part 1

You do realize that a person can move when being charged by a guy with a knife don't you?

I have a .45 revolver (Ruger Vaquero) with a buscadero that I can draw, fire, and hit in a half second or less. I do Cowboy Action Shooting and quick draw is one of the events.
I just bought a Blackhawk in .45 LC.

I haven't shot it yet, but, it should make a good hog gun.

• Banned
Psychophysiology–This is the study of how the brain influences and affects physiological function. Science tells us that humans possess both a forebrain and a midbrain. The forebrain is where cognitive processing and decision-making take place. The midbrain plays a role in situational awareness, sleep, arousal, alertness, and trained and subconscious memories.

When an officer experiences a threat, it takes on average .58 seconds to experience the threat and determine if it is real. It then takes on average .56 to 1.0 seconds to make a response decision. Humans have five possible responses to threat: defend (fight), disengage (retreat), posture (yell, point a finger, act aggressive), become hypervigilant (panic, confusion, freezing, using force excessively), and submit (surrender).

Add in that if the attacker is screaming at you (ie martial arts trained) the reaction/freeze time and distance is shortened. Anything under 30 feet is dangerous with a holstered weapon.

Now let's factor in if the shooter has ever shot another person....don't think paper or tin cans on a fence post is anything like the real deal. Ever been stabbed? Knives are fucking scary, so again there's the potential for the total freeze. Then there's the legality of the shoot....were you really threatened by somebody with a knife over 20' from you and can you convince a jury you believed you were.

The best bet is to unholster your weapon and keep it pointed at the ground....that's perfectly legal. If you point it at a person you may as well fire it because you've already committed a felony if you aren't in real danger.

Now let's factor in if the shooter has ever shot another person....don't think paper or tin cans on a fence post is anything like the real deal. Ever been stabbed? Knives are fucking scary, so again there's the potential for the total freeze. Then there's the legality of the shoot....were you really threatened by somebody with a knife over 20' from you and can you convince a jury you believed you were.

The best bet is to unholster your weapon and keep it pointed at the ground....that's perfectly legal. If you point it at a person you may as well fire it because you've already committed a felony if you aren't in real danger.
That's what CC classes teach.

Here, it also teaches to shoot until the son of a bitch is dead, so he can't sue you.

This isn't news. FBI firearms instructors tell cops about this as part of their routine training. The drill is to make sure that there is always something between yourself and the person with the knife. Cops are trained to deal with these situations. The average CC gun owner doesn't have a clue.

I know dozens of cats who can drone on for hours about ballistics, caliber matches and mismatches....brush guns, elk guns, varmint guns.....but pulling a trigger on another human...nobody can prepare you for that and the aftermath. I'm not much for PTSD claims but there was a time or two I don't let myself think about.

Here, it also teaches to shoot until the son of a bitch is dead, so he can't sue you.

Thereby setting yourself up for a murder charge! :cuckoo:

This isn't news. FBI firearms instructors tell cops about this as part of their routine training. The drill is to make sure that there is always something between yourself and the person with the knife. Cops are trained to deal with these situations. The average CC gun owner doesn't have a clue.

I doubt you ever fired anything bigger than a Daisy Red Rider, Sally.

Thereby setting yourself up for a murder charge! :cuckoo:
Find a case of a man in Louisiana killing an armed assailant and being convicted of murder and I will worry about the opinion of an asswipe like you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back