Homan Square: Gitmo Comes to Chicago

georgephillip

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2009
Los Angeles, California
If it's true the crimes of Empire eventually afflict the Homeland, Chicago may be the first city where the disappearance of US citizens has seen the light of day.
"The Chicago police department operates an off-the-books interrogation compound, rendering Americans unable to be found by family or attorneys while locked inside what lawyers say is the domestic equivalent of a CIA black site.

"The facility, a nondescript warehouse on Chicago’s west side known as Homan Square, has long been the scene of secretive work by special police units. Interviews with local attorneys and one protester who spent the better part of a day shackled in Homan Square describe operations that deny access to basic constitutional rights.

"Alleged police practices at Homan Square, according to those familiar with the facility who spoke out to the Guardian after its investigation into Chicago police abuse, include:

• Keeping arrestees out of official booking databases.
  • Beating by police, resulting in head wounds.
    • Shackling for prolonged periods.
    • Denying attorneys access to the “secure” facility.
    • Holding people without legal counsel for between 12 and 24 hours, including people as young as 15.

"At least one man was found unresponsive in a Homan Square 'interview room' and later pronounced dead.

"Brian Jacob Church, a protester known as one of the 'Nato Three', was held and questioned at Homan Square in 2012 following a police raid. Officers restrained Church for the better part of a day, denying him access to an attorney, before sending him to a nearby police station to be booked and charged.

“'Homan Square is definitely an unusual place,' Church told the Guardian on Friday. 'It brings to mind the interrogation facilities they use in the Middle East. The CIA calls them black sites. It’s a domestic black site. When you...'"
The disappeared Chicago police detain Americans at abuse-laden black site US news The Guardian

Interesting. From the same paper that broke news on Snowden. If true, I wonder how many other such sites exist around the country?

Interesting. From the same paper that broke news on Snowden. If true, I wonder how many other such sites exist around the country?
That is exactly the same thought going through my mind.
There are theories about US Fusion Centers that are disturbing, to say the least.
Check out DemocracyNow! for a thirty minute segment on Homan Square.

"An explosive new report in The Guardian claims the Chicago police are operating a secret compound for detentions and interrogations, often with abusive methods. According to The Guardian, detainees as young as 15 years old have been taken to a nondescript warehouse known as Homan Square. Some are calling it the domestic equivalent of a CIA "black site" overseas. Prisoners were denied access to their attorneys, beaten and held for up to 24 hours without any official record of their detention. Two former senior officials in the Civil Rights Division of the Department of Justice are calling on their colleagues to launch a probe into allegations of excessive use of force, denial of right to counsel and coercive interrogations. We speak to Spencer Ackerman, national security editor at The Guardian. We are also joined by Victoria Suter, who was held at Homan Square after being arrested at the NATO protests in Chicago in 2012."
A Black Site in Chicago Police Accused of Running Secret Compound for Detentions Interrogations Democracy Now

"BRIAN JACOB CHURCH: When they first arrested us, they took us to this building. We were never booked. We were never processed. I was in Homan Square for about 17 hours, handcuffed to a bench, before I was actually finally allowed to see an attorney.

"So, essentially, the bench was about this wide, and at the back it had a bar that came across like this. They wouldn’t unhandcuff to sleep, so when I slept, I slept with like my hand cuffed to the bar, and I kind of slept like this. All of our ankles were handcuffed together, as well. I asked them to make a phone call. I asked, you know, to talk to my lawyers. And again, they pointed at the phone number and was like, 'Oh, you’re not getting any phone calls from here.' And they were like, 'Just tell us what we want to know, and you can go home.'"
A Black Site in Chicago Police Accused of Running Secret Compound for Detentions Interrogations Democracy Now

Try to imagine how you'll feel when the black sites come to your town.

I always thought that the police needed some kind of star chamber. The crime rate in Chicago is said to have dropped. This might explain it.

I always thought that the police needed some kind of star chamber. The crime rate in Chicago is said to have dropped. This might explain it.
How about the crime rate among Chicago cops?
"Jon Graham Burge (born December 20, 1947) is a convicted felon and former Chicago Police Department detective and commander who gained notoriety for torturing more than 200 criminal suspects between 1972 and 1991 in order to force confessions..."

"Allegations were made about the methods of Burge and those under his command.

"Eventually, hundreds of similar reports resulted in a decision by Illinois Governor George Ryan to declare a moratorium on death penalty executions in Illinois in 2000 and to clear the state'sdeath row in 2003."

Jon Burge - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

While there are bad cops it in no way means that there isn't the necessity for some kind of extrajudicial activity when the system fails.

Sorry....they shut down one area command and put in Homman...they hold press conferences there....so not a black site......the guy who is whining and moaning is a lefty America hater...

They have all kinds of units located there and it was during the Nato protests and they kept him there till they had time to process him....

Sorry....they shut down one area command and put in Homman...they hold press conferences there....so not a black site......the guy who is whining and moaning is a lefty America hater...

They have all kinds of units located there and it was during the Nato protests and they kept him there till they had time to process him....
What's your spin on "Hell on Homan?
"In Homan Square itself, from the raid in the Bridgeport neighborhood on the South Side of Chicago, I was put in an unmarked vehicle..."

"And not being from Chicago, I tried to keep track of what turns they were making where, at first, but after a certain point I couldn’t keep up with it. I was already asking to see a lawyer.

"And I kept asking, 'Where are you taking me? Where are you taking me?' And the only response that I got was: 'We’re going to give you a tour of hell on Homan.'"

It's not a black site........the Police Dept. has held news conferences at this site...it houses a whole bunch of different units....this guy is a NATO protestor...of course he is going to lie......

For some truth...which a lefty nato protestor is unfamiliar with........

http://abc7chicago.com/news/chicago-police-dispute-they-operate-cia-style-black-site/533138/

Chicago police admit Homan Square is "a facility owned and used by the Chicago Police Department" and spokesman Martin Maloney tells the ABC7 I-Team that it is "considered sensitive because many officers who operate there are often involved in undercover assignments, and advertising their location could put their lives at risk." But they deny the kinds of conduct that is described in the sensational Guardian report.

Police here say the Bureau of Organized Crime, SWAT Unit Evidence Technicians, and the CPD ballistics lab operate from the west side facility and because of that the building is considered a secure site. The I-Team has also reported that CPD houses SWAT vehicles, military-style armored trucks and tear gas units-a report cited by the Guardian in its coverage. "Cook County, home of Chicago, has received some 1,700 pieces of military equipment from a much-criticized Pentagon program transferring military gear to local police. It includes a Humvee, according to a local ABC News report."

It's not a black site........the Police Dept. has held news conferences at this site...it houses a whole bunch of different units....this guy is a NATO protestor...of course he is going to lie......
Back in the day he would have been introduced to the rubber hose.

http://abc7chicago.com/news/chicago-police-dispute-they-operate-cia-style-black-site/533138/

Chicago police admit Homan Square is "a facility owned and used by the Chicago Police Department" and spokesman Martin Maloney tells the ABC7 I-Team that it is "considered sensitive because many officers who operate there are often involved in undercover assignments, and advertising their location could put their lives at risk." But they deny the kinds of conduct that is described in the sensational Guardian report.

Police here say the Bureau of Organized Crime, SWAT Unit Evidence Technicians, and the CPD ballistics lab operate from the west side facility and because of that the building is considered a secure site. The I-Team has also reported that CPD houses SWAT vehicles, military-style armored trucks and tear gas units-a report cited by the Guardian in its coverage. "Cook County, home of Chicago, has received some 1,700 pieces of military equipment from a much-criticized Pentagon program transferring military gear to local police. It includes a Humvee, according to a local ABC News report."

How does this refute what the "lefty" said?

A black site usually means no one knows about it.......this place is an active police building and again....they have held press conferences there.....and if he was held for 17 hours....they can hold you for 24, and they were a little busy with his idiot friends making a mess of the city......

A black site usually means no one knows about it.......this place is an active police building and again....they have held press conferences there.....and if he was held for 17 hours....they can hold you for 24, and they were a little busy with his idiot friends making a mess of the city......

Ok, I think you're hung up on the name and not what is happening there.

Forum List

Back