Holy crap, is the LEFT now beginning to wake up?

If I may....

The Left is in deep, deep slumber.....there is no chance in this freaking world they will wake up any day soon.

Ok now carry on.

Your opinion and while I respect it, I respect the opinion of a well known attorney like Jonathan Turley more.

***snip***

When protesters rushed to the House chamber, police barricaded the chamber’s doors; Capitol Police were on both sides, with officers standing directly behind Babbitt. Babbitt and others began to force their way through, and Babbitt started to climb through a broken window. That is when Byrd killed her.

At the time, some of us familiar with the rules governing police use of force raised concerns over the shooting. Those concerns were heightened by the DOJ’s bizarre review and report, which stated the governing standards but then seemed to brush them aside to clear Byrd.

The DOJ report did not read like any post-shooting review I have read as a criminal defense attorney or law professor. The DOJ statement notably does not say that the shooting was clearly justified. Instead, it stressed that “prosecutors would have to prove not only that the officer used force that was constitutionally unreasonable, but that the officer did so ‘willfully.’” It seemed simply to shrug and say that the DOJ did not believe it could prove “a bad purpose to disregard the law” and that “evidence that an officer acted out of fear, mistake, panic, misperception, negligence, or even poor judgment cannot establish the high level of intent.”

While the Supreme Court, in cases such as Graham v. Connor, has said that courts must consider “the facts and circumstances of each particular case,” it has emphasized that lethal force must be used only against someone who is “an immediate threat to the safety of the officers or others, and … is actively resisting arrest or attempting to evade arrest by flight.” Particularly with armed assailants, the standard governing “imminent harm” recognizes that these decisions must often be made in the most chaotic and brief encounters.

Under these standards, police officers should not shoot unarmed suspects or rioters without a clear threat to themselves or fellow officers. That even applies to armed suspects who fail to obey orders. Indeed, Huntsville police officer William “Ben” Darby recently was convicted for killing a suicidal man holding a gun to his own head. Despite being cleared by a police review board, Darby was prosecuted, found guilty and sentenced to 25 years in prison, even though Darby said he feared for the safety of himself and fellow officers. Yet law professors and experts who have praised such prosecutions in the past have been conspicuously silent over the shooting of an unarmed woman who had officers in front of and behind her on Jan. 6.
Your opinion and while I respect it, I respect the opinion of a well known attorney like Jonathan Turley more.

***snip***

When protesters rushed to the House chamber, police barricaded the chamber’s doors; Capitol Police were on both sides, with officers standing directly behind Babbitt. Babbitt and others began to force their way through, and Babbitt started to climb through a broken window. That is when Byrd killed her.

At the time, some of us familiar with the rules governing police use of force raised concerns over the shooting. Those concerns were heightened by the DOJ’s bizarre review and report, which stated the governing standards but then seemed to brush them aside to clear Byrd.

The DOJ report did not read like any post-shooting review I have read as a criminal defense attorney or law professor. The DOJ statement notably does not say that the shooting was clearly justified. Instead, it stressed that “prosecutors would have to prove not only that the officer used force that was constitutionally unreasonable, but that the officer did so ‘willfully.’” It seemed simply to shrug and say that the DOJ did not believe it could prove “a bad purpose to disregard the law” and that “evidence that an officer acted out of fear, mistake, panic, misperception, negligence, or even poor judgment cannot establish the high level of intent.”

While the Supreme Court, in cases such as Graham v. Connor, has said that courts must consider “the facts and circumstances of each particular case,” it has emphasized that lethal force must be used only against someone who is “an immediate threat to the safety of the officers or others, and … is actively resisting arrest or attempting to evade arrest by flight.” Particularly with armed assailants, the standard governing “imminent harm” recognizes that these decisions must often be made in the most chaotic and brief encounters.

Under these standards, police officers should not shoot unarmed suspects or rioters without a clear threat to themselves or fellow officers. That even applies to armed suspects who fail to obey orders. Indeed, Huntsville police officer William “Ben” Darby recently was convicted for killing a suicidal man holding a gun to his own head. Despite being cleared by a police review board, Darby was prosecuted, found guilty and sentenced to 25 years in prison, even though Darby said he feared for the safety of himself and fellow officers. Yet law professors and experts who have praised such prosecutions in the past have been conspicuously silent over the shooting of an unarmed woman who had officers in front of and behind her on Jan. 6.
Case was closed. Move on. They closed the case vs Hillary and Obama wearing a tan suit too. Why you guys keep bringing up old news is hilarious. Find something new.

Irrelevant. You have way too much free time in your hands.
The Kent State Massacre was irrelevant?

You need to devote more of your time to the study of American history. The Kent State Shootings are a significant part of the history of protests involving the Vietnam War.

Case was closed. Move on. They closed the case vs Hillary and Obama wearing a tan suit too. Why you guys keep bringing up old news is hilarious. Find something new.
The fact that there is a major difference in how a riot by Antifa and BLM groups and conservative protestors is handled is obvious and indicative of a major problem in our society.

The rule of law should apply equally to all. If a white cop had shot a unarmed black BLM protestor in one of the MANY violent 2020 riots, there would have been hell to pay. That officer would likely be on trial or in prison today.

I am unable to find a single BLM or Antifa protestor that was shot by the police during the 2020 riots but 2000 officers were injured. Twelve officers were shot during the George Floyd riots. Some died as a result.

But BLM was upset at how some of the protestors were handled by the police.

Be aware that I don’t support violent riots of any kind. Peaceful riots are just fine with me. Citizens have the First Amendment right to peacefully protest

However, I want to see all protestors handled fairly by the police. If protestors throwing bricks or Molotov cocktails at officers are not shot than neither should a unarmed female attempting to crawl through a window in a door be shot dead by a cop.

The Kent State Massacre was irrelevant?

You need to devote more of your time to the study of American history. The Kent State Shootings are a significant part of the history of protests involving the Vietnam War.

The fact that there is a major difference in how a riot by Antifa and BLM groups and conservative protestors is handled is obvious and indicative of a major problem in our society.

The rule of law should apply equally to all. If a white cop had shot a unarmed black BLM protestor in one of the MANY violent 2020 riots, there would have been hell to pay. That officer would likely be on trial or in prison today.

I am unable to find a single BLM or Antifa protestor that was shot by the police during the 2020 riots but 2000 officers were injured. Twelve officers were shot during the George Floyd riots. Some died as a result.

But BLM was upset at how some of the protestors were handled by the police.

Be aware that I don’t support violent riots of any kind. Peaceful riots are just fine with me. Citizens have the First Amendment right to peacefully protest

However, I want to see all protestors handled fairly by the police. If protestors throwing bricks or Molotov cocktails at officers are not shot than neither should a unarmed female attempting to crawl through a window in a door be shot dead by a cop.

There has to be a deep state connection there in your feeble mind. One strange dude.
Wandering from one topic to another trying to get rise...wow.

No it doesn't. I will not legitimize this pathetic equivocation.

Putting it right in the party platform -- used to focus and guide policy and legislation amd to inform their voting base -- that homosexuality is an abnormal lifestyle choice is an anti gay agenda.

Passing laws to get around the gay marriage ruling is an anti gay agenda.

Again, I will not legitimize your weaselly equivocation. Either admit the true state of today's affairs, or keep lying to support your fantasies.
Exhibit B

I think that's a reasonable take. Overcompensating is a Great American pastime, and what I see is two ends of an issue going out of their way to feed into the worst impulses of the other. Both ends give the other end every fucking opportunity to say SEE? THEY DID IT AGAIN. WHAT DID WE TELL YOU?

That's what happens as our tribalism continues to get worse.
Forcing people to do things they don’t agree with or want to do should be fought against.

So go bake your own cake.

Female athletes aren't protesting trans-gender athletes - white American men are doing that work. Too bad we can't get straight white men to support abortion rights for women, or maternity leave, or universal health care - stuff we really want and NEED. Instead they support no trans people in women's washrooms - a solution looking for a problem
Exhibit C

Hey dip shit. We were too busy defending our country while you ass wipes were still in diapers getting ready to throw more shit. You’re deep State tripe is fascist, anti American and way out of touch with reality. Typical Trump munchkins.

Yours is the side that thinks that “science” supports the claim that Bruce Jenner is a woman.

You'll have to excuse us sane people for not taking your side very seriously when you try to lay any claim to “science”.

Gee, Mormon Bob, you spend an awful lot of time here fantasizing about Caitlyn Jenner... You have pinups of her, don't you?

You seem to have no understanding of history. Kent State was ONLY a big deal because white people were killed Police and National Guard had been shooting black people in various riots throughout the 1960's.
Ah, the hood ol days. When Democrats were out of the closet and told you to your face blacks were inferior and belong at the back of the bus.

Forum List

Back