Holocaust Portrait

Bloodrock44

Diamond Member
Reaction score
My aunt was an accomplished artist. All of her paintings were portraits of people, forest landscapes or ocean/harbor scenes. Except this one. I hear most artists have dark moods. She died a few years ago and my cousin inherited her paintings. Family members wanted paintings as a keepsake and cousin said sure, $10k per painting. She gave me this painting because my aunt had promised me one. I had my choice of over a hundred paintings and half the people who see it say I'm crazy for choosing it and half say it was a good choice. She called it her Holocaust portrait. What is your opinion?

Edit: Click on the portrait to enlarge.

$photo 99.jpg

Last edited:

freedombecki

Let's go swimmin'!
Reaction score
I think you should send a slide copy of it to the National Holocaust Museum in NYC, Bloodrock.

Good art evokes an emotional reaction, good or bad. that one definitely evokes several types of emotion in me. She tells a very evocative story in minimal strokes.

Just sayin'. :eusa_whistle:

pbel

Gold Member
Reaction score
My aunt was an accomplished artist. All of her paintings were portraits of people, forest landscapes or ocean/harbor scenes. Except this one. I hear most artists have dark moods. She died a few years ago and my cousin inherited her paintings. Family members wanted paintings as a keepsake and cousin said sure, $10k per painting. She gave me this painting because my aunt had promised me one. I had my choice of over a hundred paintings and half the people who see it say I'm crazy for choosing it and half say it was a good choice. She called it her Holocaust portrait. What is your opinion?

View attachment 28642
She sure caught the moment! The drawing is right on with the body language.

Coyote

Varmint
Staff member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very very talented - she caught it, on many levels.

OP
Bloodrock44

Bloodrock44

Diamond Member
Reaction score

View attachment 28642
She sure caught the moment! The drawing is right on with the body language.
Thanks. Since you are an accomplished artist I can appreciate your critique. I'll never be an art critic though. I'll look at a painting that sold for millions and think hell a 6 year old could have done it.

Book of Jeremiah

Platinum Member
Reaction score

View attachment 28642
I believe you chose the right one. It is very moving, Bloodrock. I think there is something to the dark mood theory. It is true of writing and poetry also. The best work comes out of some sort of mental suffering. I have no idea why.

Gracie

Diamond Member
Reaction score
It is an emotional and moving picture. I second what FreedomBecki said.

Most reactions - Past 7 days

Forum List