Holocaust Portrait

Bloodrock44

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2012
Buzzard Gulch, NC
My aunt was an accomplished artist. All of her paintings were portraits of people, forest landscapes or ocean/harbor scenes. Except this one. I hear most artists have dark moods. She died a few years ago and my cousin inherited her paintings. Family members wanted paintings as a keepsake and cousin said sure, $10k per painting. She gave me this painting because my aunt had promised me one. I had my choice of over a hundred paintings and half the people who see it say I'm crazy for choosing it and half say it was a good choice. She called it her Holocaust portrait. What is your opinion?

Edit: Click on the portrait to enlarge.

$photo 99.jpg

Last edited:
I think you should send a slide copy of it to the National Holocaust Museum in NYC, Bloodrock.

Good art evokes an emotional reaction, good or bad. that one definitely evokes several types of emotion in me. She tells a very evocative story in minimal strokes.

Just sayin'. :eusa_whistle:

My aunt was an accomplished artist. All of her paintings were portraits of people, forest landscapes or ocean/harbor scenes. Except this one. I hear most artists have dark moods. She died a few years ago and my cousin inherited her paintings. Family members wanted paintings as a keepsake and cousin said sure, $10k per painting. She gave me this painting because my aunt had promised me one. I had my choice of over a hundred paintings and half the people who see it say I'm crazy for choosing it and half say it was a good choice. She called it her Holocaust portrait. What is your opinion?

View attachment 28642

She sure caught the moment! The drawing is right on with the body language.

View attachment 28642

She sure caught the moment! The drawing is right on with the body language.

Thanks. Since you are an accomplished artist I can appreciate your critique. I'll never be an art critic though. I'll look at a painting that sold for millions and think hell a 6 year old could have done it.

View attachment 28642

I believe you chose the right one. It is very moving, Bloodrock. I think there is something to the dark mood theory. It is true of writing and poetry also. The best work comes out of some sort of mental suffering. I have no idea why.

It is an emotional and moving picture. I second what FreedomBecki said.

Forum List

Back