Hitlers plan for the United States

A very interesting topic

I doubt that Hitler had any intention of trying to conquer America. I agree with Pat Buchanan's analysis of this issue in his book The Unnecessary War.

Hitler was an evil mass murderer, but I think the evidence shows that he simply had no intention of trying to conquer the U.S.

Last edited:
Hitler had no capability of invading the US

I don't believe that Hitler every seriously contemplated an armed invasion of The US. I believe what he thought possible was a mutual collaboration and accomplishing his goals with the many like-minded Americans, some quite prominent as the article points out.

Several post-war incidents such as Operation Paperclip, Operation Gladio, and the US State Department's open antagonism to the nascent Jewish State in Palestine, combined with the pre-war opposition to accepting Jewish refugees from Hitler's Europe, indicates that Hitler had more than a few kindred spirits in the American halls of power, at least where his attitudes towards Jews and Communists were concerned.

I do believe that if things had gone not so much differently and if Hitler had a much better propaganda network in America (to counter Hearst) that his idea of an American vassal state to Germany in the post-war era is not so far fetched.

I don't believe that Hitler every seriously contemplated an armed invasion of The US. I believe what he thought possible was a mutual collaboration and accomplishing his goals with the many like-minded Americans, some quite prominent as the article points out.

Several post-war incidents such as Operation Paperclip, Operation Gladio, and the US State Department's open antagonism to the nascent Jewish State in Palestine, combined with the pre-war opposition to accepting Jewish refugees from Hitler's Europe, indicates that Hitler had more than a few kindred spirits in the American halls of power, at least where his attitudes towards Jews and Communists were concerned.

I do believe that if things had gone not so much differently and if Hitler had a much better propaganda network in America (to counter Hearst) that his idea of an American vassal state to Germany in the post-war era is not so far fetched.
Could the US have eventually formed an economic alliance with a victorious Nazi Germany?
Possibly

But any alliance would have been shattered by the discovery of Concentration Camps

Could the US have eventually formed an economic alliance with a victorious Nazi Germany?
Possibly

But any alliance would have been shattered by the discovery of Concentration Camps

Which explains why Hitler and his machine worked so hard to hide what was going on in the camps. Even very late in the war, the public perception of "Concentration Camps" was merely a prison for undesirables. Something with which Americans were both familiar and comfortable.

The truth of the camps didn't come out until the post war trials at Nuremberg and even then, not fully believed by all.

Had Hitler not lost the war in Europe and the full horror of those camps been so publicly revealed, I don't think he would have had much trouble explaining away the disappearance of millions of Jews and other folks to the vague story of being "sent to the East" for resettlement. I don't think anyone would disagree that humans have a profound ability to explain away or ignore any facts we find uncomfortable.

Pop history forgets that America was attacked at Pearl Harbor but America's involvement in the European war was a gift of American manpower and finances to keep European countries safe from the Nazi menace. There was no threat to the United States.

America's involvement in the European war was a gift of American manpower and finances to keep European countries safe from the Nazi menace.

If America wanted to keep Europe safe from the Nazi menace, that gift was several years to late.

Last edited:
Keep in mind the economic and manufacturing power of the US was intact and Germanys was shattered

Where was Hitler going to land in Canada?
Germany would have the entire manufacturing base of Europe in this case. No ne is saying he would invade immediately after conquering or forcing the UK into a peace favorable to Germany. With the UK under his thumb, Germany could land troops at ANY Canadian port and unless the USA wanted to start a war it couldn't do anything about it. Plus, in 1940/41 the German manufacturing base was untouched, not shattered. In fact it was still operating on a peacetime basis.

Germany would have the entire manufacturing base of Europe in this case. No ne is saying he would invade immediately after conquering or forcing the UK into a peace favorable to Germany. With the UK under his thumb, Germany could land troops at ANY Canadian port and unless the USA wanted to start a war it couldn't do anything about it. Plus, in 1940/41 the German manufacturing base was untouched, not shattered. In fact it was still operating on a peacetime basis.
But Hitler didn’t win in 1940-41
He was fully embroiled in both Russia and England
He was unable to defeat either

Any ships trying to unload Nazi troops in Canadian ports would be sunk

But Hitler didn’t win in 1940-41
He was fully embroiled in both Russia and England
He was unable to defeat either

Any ships trying to unload Nazi troops in Canadian ports would be sunk
This is from the original post/concept.
But here's the thing: Hitler wrote that analysis before the Great Depression got into full swing, and as he watched what was unfolding across the Atlantic, he eventually came to the conclusion that America was so weakened by her own problems that it didn't really matter. The third war could wait: According to University of North Carolina emeritus professor of history Gerhard L. Weinberg (via the History News Network), Hitler believed that wrapping up the war in Europe, stabilizing his Third Reich, and building up an army of long-range forces was all something he could take his time doing. America, he thought, was too weak to do anything but wait.

Read More: These Were Hitler's Plans For The U.S. If He'd Won WWII - Grunge

Any German victory could only be the result of either a total defeat of the UK and the Empire or a negotiated peace that totally emasculated the empire giving the Germans control. Either way the German could stockpile troops, weapons and munitions in Canada and unless the USA wanted to declare war on the entire continent of Europe, it couldn't do anything to stop the build-up. The USA would be the one contemplating a cross-Atlantic invasion, not the Germans.

This is from the original post/concept.
But here's the thing: Hitler wrote that analysis before the Great Depression got into full swing, and as he watched what was unfolding across the Atlantic, he eventually came to the conclusion that America was so weakened by her own problems that it didn't really matter. The third war could wait: According to University of North Carolina emeritus professor of history Gerhard L. Weinberg (via the History News Network), Hitler believed that wrapping up the war in Europe, stabilizing his Third Reich, and building up an army of long-range forces was all something he could take his time doing. America, he thought, was too weak to do anything but wait.

Read More: These Were Hitler's Plans For The U.S. If He'd Won WWII - Grunge

Any German victory could only be the result of either a total defeat of the UK and the Empire or a negotiated peace that totally emasculated the empire giving the Germans control. Either way the German could stockpile troops, weapons and munitions in Canada and unless the USA wanted to declare war on the entire continent of Europe, it couldn't do anything to stop the build-up. The USA would be the one contemplating a cross-Atlantic invasion, not the Germans.
Interesting fantasy

Reality was it was the US that sent its forces around the world to defeat Germany and Japan

Forum List

Back