Here’s the number one concern for us Americans. Homeownership rate among young Americans is considerably lower than it was during the baby boomer era

Depends on the age. Living at home at age 30 does not go along with the independence and self-support one should have at that age, and it doesn’t bode well for the future.
Why doesn't it bode well for the future? Because the person isn't in debt to our filthy God awful corporations?

Living at home at age 30 does not go along with the independence and self-support one should have at that age, and it doesn’t bode well for the future.

It is pretty common in most of the world and they do not have any problems from it

We have one of the worst economies in American history. Inflation is that a 50 year hi. The price of rent is now lower compared to the price of a mortgage for the first time in decades. Big problems.

Hopefully they can be resolved. It’s a very ugly country in many ways when it wasn’t like that just 4 years ago under trump.

It’s easy for some homeowners to say hey, everything’s fine, other homeowners recognize the problems in this country.

More jobs don’t necessarily mean a better economy. More jobs people working at places like Walmart and McDonald’s. It’s just not going to cut it.

We need to create millions of jobs in the steel and auto industry like we did in the post World War II economic boom. Those jobs paid over $30 an hour, and it worked for almost 50 years. If not in those industries, then some other industries, something needs to be figured out…. we need another(s) billionaire CEO like Henry Ford, who had a vision of not only helping themselves but bringing more Americans of all Americans in the middle class.

Despite a robust job market and an inflation rate that has dropped from over 9 percent in June 2022 to 3.7 percent last month, Americans take a dim view of the economy, with large percentages using words like “horrible,” “awful,” “bad,” and “shambles” to describe it, compared to smaller percentages that use words such as “excellent,” “good,” “growing,” or “improving.”

A stunning 84 percent of respondents say the cost of living is rising, citing the swelling price of everyday needs. Food prices are rising the most, according to nearly half (49%) of respondents, followed by housing costs (16%), utility bills (11%), and transportation, including gas (11%).

We have one of the worst economies in American history. Inflation is that a 50 year hi. The price of rent is now lower compared to the price of a mortgage for the first time in decades. Big problems.

Nope, not really. Inflation is down to 3.2%. Biden brought it down without causing a recession.

More jobs don’t necessarily mean a better economy. More jobs people working at places like Walmart and McDonald’s. It’s just not going to cut it.

Actually, more jobs do mean a better economy, because eventually, employers have to offer better wages to get employees. Even Walmart and McDonald, who can't find employees to save their lives.

We need to create millions of jobs in the steel and auto industry like we did in the post World War II economic boom. Those jobs paid over $30 an hour, and it worked for almost 50 years. If not in those industries, then some other industries, something needs to be figured out…. we need another(s) billionaire CEO like Henry Ford, who had a vision of not only helping themselves but bringing more Americans of all Americans in the middle class.

Fyodor, those jobs are never coming back because the period after WWII was an artificial economy. It only existed because the rest of the world was still in ruins. When the rest of the world rebuilt and those jobs were automated, they disappeared

The US produces as much steel today as it did after the war, but there are less people doing it because those jobs have been automated.

Baby boomers, when they were younger owned homes at a considerably higher rate compared to today’s generation of young Americans. And that should be the number one concern for politicians in this country. Fix our horrible economy.

Substantially fewer of those born between 1981 and 1996 are homeowners today than Gen X and baby boomers were at the same age. Housing affordability is taking a toll on all generations, but the lack of entry-level homes and the dearth of new builds are particularly impacting millennials.”

In fact, the median cost of a typical 20% down payment was about 85% of the average millennial household's salary last year. That's considerably higher than the 75% for Gen X and 64% for baby boomers when they were the same age.”

see the numbers don’t lie. The coronavirus lockdowns which were totally unnecessary helped to worsen this problem along with Biden inflation.

Politicians want us to give all our money away to foreign countries for their wars. There are still some politicians democrat and Republicans who care…. Few and far between it seems like though.

This country ain’t what it used to be and we have work to be done. There will be those who will claim “there’s plenty of jobs to be had”, might be true but looks like they don’t make any difference. Sure people can get a job at McDonald’s or Walmart. It ain’t nothing man. Back in the day you could get a job at a steel plant Be proud of yourself contribute to this country….. and be set for life. We’ve lost millions of those jobs and they haven’t been replaced.
I found this interesting. A lot of boomers who run our government and boomers here on USMB say we should raise the retirement age to 70 because people are living longer. But did you know when the first of the boomers started retiring, more than half of them opted to collect them at age 62, and close to 70 percent did so before age 65? So they retired early and want us to wait. Got it.

The Baby Boomers is the worst generation. The greatest generation gave birth to the worst generation. Who destroyed America. Trump is a baby boomer right?

Despite a robust job market and an inflation rate that has dropped from over 9 percent in June 2022 to 3.7 percent last month, Americans take a dim view of the economy, with large percentages using words like “horrible,” “awful,” “bad,” and “shambles” to describe it, compared to smaller percentages that use words such as “excellent,” “good,” “growing,” or “improving.”I r

A stunning 84 percent of respondents say the cost of living is rising, citing the swelling price of everyday needs. Food prices are rising the most, according to nearly half (49%) of respondents, followed by housing costs (16%), utility bills (11%), and transportation, including gas (11%).
I remember in the 2000's Bush years Republicans said 20 $50K a year jobs is better than 10 $100K jobs. I disagree.

I found this interesting. A lot of boomers who run our government and boomers here on USMB say we should raise the retirement age to 70 because people are living longer. But did you know when the first of the boomers started retiring, more than half of them opted to collect them at age 62, and close to 70 percent did so before age 65? So they retired early and want us to wait. Got it.

The Baby Boomers is the worst generation. The greatest generation gave birth to the worst generation. Who destroyed America. Trump is a baby boomer right?
Baby boomers were terrible parents that is for sure.
Their style of parenting was "shut up and move out of the way of the TV!!"
"What are you doing in the house? Go outside!!"
"Because I said so!!"
(3/4 drunk) - "If I catch you drinking!!"
(puff puff) - "You better not let me catch you smoking!!" (puff puff)
"Well your Uncle Charlie just likes hugging children that's all...don't say anything again!"
"Here's a note for Sam at the store, go get me some more cigarettes... cough...gag"

As a boomer, I can say we were by far the luckiest generation ever.

It’s almost as if the entire purpose of the human experiment here on planet Earth was to ensure that the generation known as the Baby Boomers had the best of everything .

And we did.

I’m thankful I was born when I was.

Baby boomers were terrible parents that is for sure.
Their style of parenting was "shut up and move out of the way of the TV!!"
"What are you doing in the house? Go outside!!"
"Because I said so!!"
(3/4 drunk) - "If I catch you drinking!!"
(puff puff) - "You better not let me catch you smoking!!" (puff puff)
"Well your Uncle Charlie just likes hugging children that's all...don't say anything again!"
"Here's a note for Sam at the store, go get me some more cigarettes... cough...gag"
True

Boomers were the worst until the children of Boomers grew up and lowered the standard even more

I blame the WWII generation that spoiled the Boomers rotten and set the decline into motion

Here's the thing. When Social Security was first implemented, most people didn't live to be 62 or 65. Now the average life expectancy is 78. Unless Social Security comes up with alternative forms of funding, the money just won't be there when you retire.

I don't know if raising the age to 70 is the answer. But something has to give.

I remember in the 2000's Bush years Republicans said 20 $50K a year jobs is better than 10 $100K jobs. I disagree.

Depends how bad you need the job.

I found myself out of work twice when GWB was president, I'd have been happy for a $50K job.

True

Boomers were the worst until the children of Boomers grew up and lowered the standard even more

I blame the WWII generation that spoiled the Boomers rotten and set the decline into motion
They chose to go the opposite direction.
Boomers, as parents, did their own thing and just let their kids fend for themselves with little to no guidance.
"Children are to be seen, and not heard"

My generation, the 'Me Generation" grew up saying to themselves they were not going to be like their parents. And they sure as hell weren't. We babied our children, we remembered how we got almost no toys and the TV was only for children on Sat mornings. We decided our children would get 10 times the number of toys and the TV should be available to children constantly. We hovered over their every move, if something bothered them, we were all over it.

Now they are having children. And they are bringing helicopter parenting to a whole new level of absurdity.

Forum List

Back