Here’s the answer.

Regardless the many recommendations that we might propose, in the end they are bandaids.

The United States was a viable economy all to its own before we started shipping jobs overseas and swinging the gates wide open to illegal immigration.

Immigration is fine, but a nation should monitor it so that the people who are already citizens can compete fairly for the jobs at hand and be paid their worth. That worth, in the free market, is determined by supply and demand...something every capitalist can understand.

It was when big business, government and others began playing with this formula that the playing field became unstable, and good paying jobs began to disappear.

No such thing as a free market - The market is highly manipulated.

There is no such thing as supply and demand - Again, manipulated.
By the government. You're right.
Are you still pitching that bullshit that Bush deregulated the economy and caused the crash?

-Raise minimum wage to $23.50/hr. Based on where minimum wage should be using 1970-2013 rise in food, shelter, and transportation.

-Eliminate all business subsidies (deductions/write-off’s/write-downs) except for employee expenses which are deducted dollar-for-dollar on all city, state, and Federal taxes and fees.

-Adjust Social Security and private/public retirement and pension payments using 1970-2013 price structure.

-Back down ALL costs, prices, fees, to January 1, 2009 levels and hold them for 10 years.
So you plan is to:
Raise minimum wage to $23.50 which would increase business expenses, eliminate business tax deductions which would also increase expenses, and freeze their prices.

In labor intensive businesses such as food service, agriculture, and personal services, operating costs of many if not most of these business would exceed revenues since you would be freezing prices. These businesses would disappear along with the jobs they provide, obviously not a good idea.

You forgot '-Subsidize all business with less than 200 employees the difference (if any) all taxes and fees vs total employee expenses.'

The cost of doing business wouldn't increase. Supply costs are capped, taxes are differed/subsidized for employee costs, and with added monies spent in the economy business would increase.
For businesses such as fast food, 35% of the business's cost is labor. The average fast food worker makes about $9/hr. If you increase the minimum wage to $24.50 while maintaining the prices the business can charge, how do expect the business to survive? Or do you plan for all businesses over 200 employees to fold up?

So you plan is to:
Raise minimum wage to $23.50 which would increase business expenses, eliminate business tax deductions which would also increase expenses, and freeze their prices.

In labor intensive businesses such as food service, agriculture, and personal services, operating costs of many if not most of these business would exceed revenues since you would be freezing prices. These businesses would disappear along with the jobs they provide, obviously not a good idea.

You forgot '-Subsidize all business with less than 200 employees the difference (if any) all taxes and fees vs total employee expenses.'

The cost of doing business wouldn't increase. Supply costs are capped, taxes are differed/subsidized for employee costs, and with added monies spent in the economy business would increase.
For businesses such as fast food, 35% of the business's cost is labor. The average fast food worker makes about $9/hr. If you increase the minimum wage to $24.50 while maintaining the prices the business can charge, how do expect the business to survive? Or do you plan for all businesses over 200 employees to fold up?

Incorrect.

McD trains it managers to keep labor under 20%, then they figure 10% for management, meaning labor is at 30%, just like all other restaurants strive for.

In fact, if you own a restaraunt and consult with anyone on menu pricing they teach you. Figure 30% for labor 30 for food costs 30% for other costs and 10% profit and there you have your menu prices.

McDonalds franchises are slightly under on labor costs , on average, and around the same on food costs and slightly higher on other costs becuase of fees that McD corporation charges, and in fact MANY franchise owners are getting sick of it and demanding that McD lower their fees.

McD prevents franchise owners from paying higher wages unless they wish to take it out of their 10% because they REFUSE to lower their fees

Why McDonald's franchisees are simmering- MSN Money

I don't blame the owners of these franchises feeling that anything less than 10% is not worth the trouble and thus not raising wages, I DO blame the corporation for raising rates to such an extent that they are making more off a franchise than the owner AND the employees combined.

Incorrect.

McD trains it managers to keep labor under 20%, then they figure 10% for management, meaning labor is at 30%, just like all other restaurants strive for.

In fact, if you own a restaraunt and consult with anyone on menu pricing they teach you. Figure 30% for labor 30 for food costs 30% for other costs and 10% profit and there you have your menu prices.

McDonalds franchises are slightly under on labor costs , on average, and around the same on food costs and slightly higher on other costs becuase of fees that McD corporation charges, and in fact MANY franchise owners are getting sick of it and demanding that McD lower their fees.

McD prevents franchise owners from paying higher wages unless they wish to take it out of their 10% because they REFUSE to lower their fees

I don't blame the owners of these franchises feeling that anything less than 10% is not worth the trouble and thus not raising wages, I DO blame the corporation for raising rates to such an extent that they are making more off a franchise than the owner AND the employees combined.
How do expect the businesses with over 200 employees who would not be subsides by the government to recover the increase in costs if they can not raise prices? Economist estimate that prices would have have to rise 20% in fast food restaurants just cover a $15 minimum wage and you are proposing $24.50.

Debating the effects of a $15 fast food wage

Yes. 25% to the franchise and 33% for labor. That's before the very expensive location the franchise requires, utilities, supplies, equipment, etc.

Incorrect.

I'm fairly certain the OP would also dictate that said companies operate at a loss and then offer them a government bailout.

Insanity

I concur.

And I am a "Leftie". Well, mostly.

:D

They called me insane when I owned the first marketing company to see-through wrap buildings. We all know how that worked out.

They called me insane when I called for an all-out of the markets in August, 2007. We all know how that worked out.

Please explain.

Building wrap: Poly applied to buildings with perforations so one can see out. Mine was for Motorola StarTAC for the 1996 COMDEX.

Incorrect.

How do expect the businesses with over 200 employees who would not be subsides by the government to recover the increase in costs if they can not raise prices? Economist estimate that prices would have have to rise 20% in fast food restaurants just cover a $15 minimum wage and you are proposing $24.50.

Oh come on, at least TRY to read the thread before commenting. I CLEARLY stated that even $15 was too high, but here you be saying I propose $24.50?I propose $10 an hour, I'd like to see $12, but with other factors that probably won't happen, so $10 should be where we're at.

Illegal. A company that is owned by the same entity as another cannot separate its workers for the purposes of avoiding regulation. If that were so, companies would already be doing that to avoid the mandates of Obamacare.
You're not terribly informed here.

Walmart is FIVE separate companies to avoid regulation.

Yet they have to comply with Obamacare. Seems to refute your point pretty conclusively, s0n.

As they should. Walmart remains the largest company in the US relying on taxpayers to provide healthcare to their employees.

The post was about 'avoiding regulation'. If you kept up you'd know that Walmart IS five separate companies, in that, one of those companies is Walmart Transportation, LLC which is owned by the Walmart seven. It is kept separate to avoid regulation into Walmart Stores Inc. by the US DOT. Nothing illegal.

Regardless the many recommendations that we might propose, in the end they are bandaids.

The United States was a viable economy all to its own before we started shipping jobs overseas and swinging the gates wide open to illegal immigration.

Immigration is fine, but a nation should monitor it so that the people who are already citizens can compete fairly for the jobs at hand and be paid their worth. That worth, in the free market, is determined by supply and demand...something every capitalist can understand.

It was when big business, government and others began playing with this formula that the playing field became unstable, and good paying jobs began to disappear.

No such thing as a free market - The market is highly manipulated.

There is no such thing as supply and demand - Again, manipulated.
By the government. You're right.
Are you still pitching that bullshit that Bush deregulated the economy and caused the crash?

Should the BushCo SEC allowed Bank of America to buy CountryWide?

Hi OP If we cannot even get ELECTED govt that we HIRE and PAY
to run "effectively enough to lower the costs by cutting the waste," what makes you think you can FORCE free businesses to do so?

Are you willing to pay more to businesses so they can pay more to the workers?

Have you ever run a business on this model you propose?

NOTE: the successful businesses I have seen that create jobs for people
DEPEND on the tax writeoffs for business expenses in order to operate.

If they didn't have that, they couldn't grow or would downsize and people would LOSE THEIR JOBS.

Why don't you focus on cutting down on losses for THEFT and GOVERNMENT WASTE that should be paid back to taxpayers by the wrongdoers?

Why expect businesses to pay for all this? why punish people who aren't breaking laws?

WHERE in your model are you charging the people who actually ABUSE or STEAL money and make THEM pay that back to the taxpayers?

-Raise minimum wage to $23.50/hr. Based on where minimum wage should be using 1970-2013 rise in food, shelter, and transportation.

-Eliminate all business subsidies (deductions/write-off’s/write-downs) except for employee expenses which are deducted dollar-for-dollar on all city, state, and Federal taxes and fees.

-Adjust Social Security and private/public retirement and pension payments using 1970-2013 price structure.

-Back down ALL costs, prices, fees, to January 1, 2009 levels and hold them for 10 years.

If you are backing down all costs and fees, then why not also the salaries to that same level?

OP have you ever run a business at the 2009 levels while paying salaries to workers at the 23 dollar level?

Even the good meaning founders of Ben and Jerry's tried to pay all workers more evenly from top to bottom, tried to reduce the difference percentage wise between salaries at the different levels, and couldn't operate their company that way. Found out it didn't work.

They physically tried this. Have you?

Incorrect.

Of course they glossed over the fact that a Big Mac increased in price 1200% from 1970 to 2013 which was far more than actual net costs. Could it be more profits derived from more greed?

Yes. 25% to the franchise and 33% for labor. That's before the very expensive location the franchise requires, utilities, supplies, equipment, etc.

Incorrect.

I think what a lot of people don't understand is that if you increase the cost of doing business, the business will always make adjustments to attempt to recover those costs without reducing income. If the increase in costs are minor, then business will make minor adjustments. If the increase in cost is big, then business will make big adjustments.

I'm fairly certain the OP would also dictate that said companies operate at a loss and then offer them a government bailout.

Insanity

I concur.

I'm fairly conservative, but believe SOMETHING needs to be done to address the fact that more and more Americans are sliding into financial obscurity, but damn just making up dollar amounts helps no one. If you're going to raise the minimum wage all the way to $23.50 per hour, you may as well make it $100.

Personally the more I think about it , the more I believe that a four step process is needed.

1. Set a minimum wage of $12 an hour
2. Change to a national sales tax of 10% on all retail purchases rather than an income tax
3. Mandate a balanced federal budget every year. If you don't have the money, tough shit. Now that doesn't mean the government can't carry debt, it just means that they better be able to pay their monthly obligations on that debt with their income without raising taxes. Same as you or I run our family budget, we have debt, but not more than we can afford.
4. Tell those who don' step 2 to shut up. No tax system is "fair"

1. Not enough.
2. Increasing sales tax hurts the middle-class. Reagan did this eleven times during his eight years.
3. How do you balance a budget based on expected revenue?

Incorrect.

I think what a lot of people don't understand is that if you increase the cost of doing business, the business will always make adjustments to attempt to recover those costs without reducing income. If the increase in costs are minor, then business will make minor adjustments. If the increase in cost is big, then business will make big adjustments.

Which makes my plan workable because business won't see increased costs, and it regulates to prevent increased greed.

I understand the tactic of using strong/hostile language to rally the cause and affect change. It is still incorrect. It had never been the responsibility of employers to provide health insurance, it was a perk/bonus to attract quality employees. It was cheaper to offer healthcare and salary than it was to compensate solely through payroll. The idea that we subsidize their insurance is disingenuous.

Since employers were not required to provide insurance, I really don't understand the hostility. The dog groomer down the street does not provide health insurance at all to any of her employees ever. Can we all hate on that evil greedy sob?

If we (general, none of this person specific) want to change things and discuss that change, fine. Why start off being angry and placing blame because people/companies were doing things the way they'd always been done. Why act like the new way is the correct way and everyone who came before was an idiot or an asshole?

As they should. Walmart remains the largest company in the US relying on taxpayers to provide healthcare to their employees.

Incorrect.

Of course they glossed over the fact that a Big Mac increased in price 1200% from 1970 to 2013 which was far more than actual net costs. Could it be more profits derived from more greed?
So, there're greedy bastards. Anytime you pass legislation that significantly increases the cost of doing business, you have to ask yourself how will the business react. How do you think labor intensive businesses will react to a $15 to $17/hr increase in employee pay?

I understand the tactic of using strong/hostile language to rally the cause and affect change. It is still incorrect. It had never been the responsibility of employers to provide health insurance, it was a perk/bonus to attract quality employees. It was cheaper to offer healthcare and salary than it was to compensate solely through payroll. The idea that we subsidize their insurance is disingenuous.

Since employers were not required to provide insurance, I really don't understand the hostility. The dog groomer down the street does not provide health insurance at all to any of her employees ever. Can we all hate on that evil greedy sob?

If we (general, none of this person specific) want to change things and discuss that change, fine. Why start off being angry and placing blame because people/companies were doing things the way they'd always been done. Why act like the new way is the correct way and everyone who came before was an idiot or an asshole?

Employers should not provide healthcare insurance. Compensate employees and let them buy their own insurance. The employee can then choose the plan and company that best meets his needs and he can carry the insurance with him from job to job.

If an employee has to change jobs often, say more than once a year. The employer provided insurance is often more expense than individual insurance because the employee will be subject to deductibles for multiple plans and if he is not careful he can end up with double coverage.

I agree that it should not be through employers. Actually, I kinda feel bad. What started as a new, innovative, good idea (lets offer benefits to get the cream of the crop) has turned to crap. No good deed ...

I concur.

I'm fairly conservative, but believe SOMETHING needs to be done to address the fact that more and more Americans are sliding into financial obscurity, but damn just making up dollar amounts helps no one. If you're going to raise the minimum wage all the way to $23.50 per hour, you may as well make it $100.

Personally the more I think about it , the more I believe that a four step process is needed.

1. Set a minimum wage of $12 an hour
2. Change to a national sales tax of 10% on all retail purchases rather than an income tax
3. Mandate a balanced federal budget every year. If you don't have the money, tough shit. Now that doesn't mean the government can't carry debt, it just means that they better be able to pay their monthly obligations on that debt with their income without raising taxes. Same as you or I run our family budget, we have debt, but not more than we can afford.
4. Tell those who don' step 2 to shut up. No tax system is "fair"

1. Not enough.
2. Increasing sales tax hurts the middle-class. Reagan did this eleven times during his eight years.
3. How do you balance a budget based on expected revenue?

Dear OP BZ and Stat:
Other things to consider

A. Human stress and effort in running and managing business and workers

Just because the numbers add up by percent does not account for the human factor.
My budget of time/money can cover certain projects "on paper" where the MATH adds up
But in real life, the amount of stress it takes to manage it costs me MORE time and money
I don't think you include that in those numbers
Like you don't include the costs of advertising, of lawsuits and losses from injury etc.
Those aren't just dollars and cents but time and hassle in running a business
Don't forget the human factor
if you cut the budget down where it runs on paper,
you might not have any humans who can work "that perfectly like machines"
to keep that business running. there has to be extra room in there when
you are dealing with human beings, the public. it's not just 10% here 30% there

B. BTW why are you only focusing on this factor

Why not look at the prison or military complex as a business industry?

If you look at what our tax dollars are paying for
and what is not being covered (like veterans only getting 5% of the budget to cover their needs, or 6 billion in retirement benefits to vets getting cut from the budget)

wouldn't THAT make a bigger difference both economically
and with taxes and government function and waste?

We've always subsidized employee healthcare. Employee expenses are 100% deductible.

Under my plan she will be able to provide healthcare and give her employees a BIG raise with a net cost increase of zero, with an added benefit of EVERYONE in her town also get a BIG raise so she can take 'Dirty-Dirty Dog' to the next level of growth.

Your 'doing things the way they'd always been done' statement isn't true. Before Reagan changed the HMO act effectively eliminating competition in the insurance industry, companies would regularly provide healthcare for their employees because it was cheap. I know this because I wrote the checks. Today, healthcare is expensive and generally not affordable to individuals. Companies are subsidized for providing healthcare insurance (which all should be doing) and not raising net by letting taxpayers do it.

[/QUOTE]

Forum List

Back