Here is a politician I could behind…

You're a lying piece of shit
Small government dogma is not a cafeteria plan – you can’t advocate for the small government you like and then resort to big government tyranny and overreach to prohibit that which you don’t – hence the hypocrisy of the right.

An actual conservative will pursue a consistent application of small government dogma: small government means less government regulation, no government interference – no government interference in a woman’s right to privacy, no government interference in the equal protection rights of gay and transgender Americans, no government interference in citizens’ right to vote, and no government interference in private social media, meaning opposing the use of government to regulate, restrict, or silence private social media.

The obsession on the "cultural issues" is with the left. Conservative Republicans only REACT to the Neverending onslaught of perversion you guys keep pushing. I really don't care what Republican may be acceptable to you. It has no bearing on who I will vote for
Bullshit.

…and he is a Republican. But he identifies the real issues we are facing with two broken parties controlled by their extremes, nationalization of what should be local politics, and entrenched politicians in safe districts that never have to do a damn thing for their constituents to get re-elected. He also identifies the external threats we SHOULD be addressing but can’t because we are obsessed with insignificant “culture war” issues that fire the “base”. His ideas on immigration should have something both wings can support but will it? It is both common sense and humane and protects our borders.

The Revenge of the Normal Republicans

Will Hurd thinks there are enough normal voters to deliver him the 2024 Republican presidential nomination. But is he right?

“Some of my friends, some of my former colleagues, they are desperate,” Hurd tells me. “They are so desperate to hold on to their positions, to hold on to their power, that they make really bad decisions.”

Those bad decisions are evident when it comes to big, history-forming events, such as the party’s enabling of Donald Trump’s assault on American democracy. But the bad decisions are also made subtly, in response to smaller episodes every single day, often to accommodate the party’s ugliest impulses. (The third chapter of Hurd’s book, written as an open letter to the Republican Party, is titled “Don’t Be an Asshole, Racist, Misogynist, or Homophobe.”)

The desperation—lawmakers catering to the loudest voices in the party base—is not healthy, Hurd says. It’s the by-product of safely partisan districts that provide more incentive to light fires than put them out. It’s the consequence of the public’s collapsing faith in the core institutions of civic society, which invites national politicians to weaponize disputes that should be addressed at the local level. It’s the expression of a country in decline—a country convinced that its existential concerns are not Chinese sabotage and Russian disinformation, but face masks in public and vaccines for a virus.

On what we could be facing:
Hurd’s book is notable for many reasons—his personal and professional journeys are legitimately compelling—but most of all for its rebuke of America’s proportionality problem. Drawing on his diverse experiences, from chasing down intelligence overseas to parsing classified documents in Congress to working with groundbreaking tech companies today, Hurd argues that we are woefully unprepared for what is coming our way. Quantum computing has the potential to break every form of encryption that guards our money and our secrets. Artificial intelligence could cut the service-based workforce in half—every two years. Biomedical advances will force questions about the ethics of rewiring our brains and halting the degradation of human cells. In the meantime, China will continue its siege of the American economy—swiping our intellectual property, snatching up our real estate, sabotaging our investments—while Russia will intensify its decades-old campaign to delegitimize our systems of government and turn Americans against one another.

His subtext is plain enough. To confront these challenges, Hurd’s colleagues in the Republican Party might need to rethink their fixation on transgender athletes and critical race theory.

“Everyone treats everything these days like it’s some damn emergency. And it’s got to stop,” Hurd says. “We’re going to be dealing with issues that are so complicated, and so life-altering, that they make the stuff we’re dealing with right now look like tickle fights.”

On immigration:
Why wouldn’t they want Hurd’s input? Simple. Because they knew he wasn’t going to tell them what they wanted to hear. They knew Hurd would offer a set of solutions—the mass streamlining of legal immigration for both high-skilled workers and low-skilled laborers; the construction of a cutting-edge “virtual wall” utilizing cameras and fiber-optic cables to monitor illegal crossings; the granting of citizenship to millions of “Dreamers”; the surge of funding to local agencies dealing with a mass influx of asylum seekers—that would antagonize the loudest voices in both party bases.

Your post intrigued me, so I went to his official website and took a quick look.

Here are some of my quick observations/opinions....

1) It looks like he is selling a book. It's the first thing mentioned on his page...

1648513009700.png

2) He seems to be a racist and/or sexist like so many Democrats. He thinks the DNA you were born with matters.

He is so wrong about this. A person can't change their DNA, but they can change their behavior. If this man claims to be a Republican, he needs to get the heck out of my party. We don't care what color your skin is, how big your boobs are, or what you "look like" as he says...

1648513270700.png

All that matters is the content of one's character.

Last year, he wrote an opinion piece which was published in the Washington Post...

In his poorly written opinion piece which reads more like an internet chat room post, he mentions White Supremacy and Qanon. Please.

Regards,
Jim

Small government dogma is not a cafeteria plan – you can’t advocate for the small government you like and then resort to big government tyranny and overreach to prohibit that which you don’t – hence the hypocrisy of the right.

An actual conservative will pursue a consistent application of small government dogma: small government means less government regulation, no government interference – no government interference in a woman’s right to privacy, no government interference in the equal protection rights of gay and transgender Americans, no government interference in citizens’ right to vote, and no government interference in private social media, meaning opposing the use of government to regulate, restrict, or silence private social media.
No government mandates on what is taught in school.

Your post intrigued me, so I went to his official website and took a quick look.

1) It looks like he is selling a book. It's the first thing mentioned on his page...

View attachment 622652

2) He seems to be a racist and/or sexist like so many Democrats. He thinks the DNA you were born with matters.

He is so wrong about this. A person can't change their DNA, but they can change their behavior. If this man claims to be a Republican, he needs to get the heck out of my party. We don't care what color your skin is, how big your boobs are, or what you "look like" as he says...

View attachment 622656

Last year, he wrote an opinion piece which was published in the Washington Post...

In his poorly written opinion piece which reads more like an internet chat room post, he mentions White Supremacy and Qanon. Please.

Regards,
Jim
Why do whites like you lie about the role of race?

…and he is a Republican. But he identifies the real issues we are facing with two broken parties controlled by their extremes, nationalization of what should be local politics, and entrenched politicians in safe districts that never have to do a damn thing for their constituents to get re-elected. He also identifies the external threats we SHOULD be addressing but can’t because we are obsessed with insignificant “culture war” issues that fire the “base”. His ideas on immigration should have something both wings can support but will it? It is both common sense and humane and protects our borders.

The Revenge of the Normal Republicans

Will Hurd thinks there are enough normal voters to deliver him the 2024 Republican presidential nomination. But is he right?

“Some of my friends, some of my former colleagues, they are desperate,” Hurd tells me. “They are so desperate to hold on to their positions, to hold on to their power, that they make really bad decisions.”

Those bad decisions are evident when it comes to big, history-forming events, such as the party’s enabling of Donald Trump’s assault on American democracy. But the bad decisions are also made subtly, in response to smaller episodes every single day, often to accommodate the party’s ugliest impulses. (The third chapter of Hurd’s book, written as an open letter to the Republican Party, is titled “Don’t Be an Asshole, Racist, Misogynist, or Homophobe.”)

The desperation—lawmakers catering to the loudest voices in the party base—is not healthy, Hurd says. It’s the by-product of safely partisan districts that provide more incentive to light fires than put them out. It’s the consequence of the public’s collapsing faith in the core institutions of civic society, which invites national politicians to weaponize disputes that should be addressed at the local level. It’s the expression of a country in decline—a country convinced that its existential concerns are not Chinese sabotage and Russian disinformation, but face masks in public and vaccines for a virus.

On what we could be facing:
Hurd’s book is notable for many reasons—his personal and professional journeys are legitimately compelling—but most of all for its rebuke of America’s proportionality problem. Drawing on his diverse experiences, from chasing down intelligence overseas to parsing classified documents in Congress to working with groundbreaking tech companies today, Hurd argues that we are woefully unprepared for what is coming our way. Quantum computing has the potential to break every form of encryption that guards our money and our secrets. Artificial intelligence could cut the service-based workforce in half—every two years. Biomedical advances will force questions about the ethics of rewiring our brains and halting the degradation of human cells. In the meantime, China will continue its siege of the American economy—swiping our intellectual property, snatching up our real estate, sabotaging our investments—while Russia will intensify its decades-old campaign to delegitimize our systems of government and turn Americans against one another.

His subtext is plain enough. To confront these challenges, Hurd’s colleagues in the Republican Party might need to rethink their fixation on transgender athletes and critical race theory.

“Everyone treats everything these days like it’s some damn emergency. And it’s got to stop,” Hurd says. “We’re going to be dealing with issues that are so complicated, and so life-altering, that they make the stuff we’re dealing with right now look like tickle fights.”

On immigration:
Why wouldn’t they want Hurd’s input? Simple. Because they knew he wasn’t going to tell them what they wanted to hear. They knew Hurd would offer a set of solutions—the mass streamlining of legal immigration for both high-skilled workers and low-skilled laborers; the construction of a cutting-edge “virtual wall” utilizing cameras and fiber-optic cables to monitor illegal crossings; the granting of citizenship to millions of “Dreamers”; the surge of funding to local agencies dealing with a mass influx of asylum seekers—that would antagonize the loudest voices in both party bases.
He's a dipshit. The so-called "virtual wall" means no obstruction to illegal immigration. Biden could reduce illegal immigration right now by 90% with the snap of his fingers, but he doesn't want to.

I’m cynical about him winning the GOP nomination. Primaries tend to reward the most extreme…then they have to walk back some of it in order to win enough moderates for a national election. I hope I’m wrong.
You're right about one thing: he will never get the nomination because he's the world's biggest sap.

Why do whites like you lie about the role of race?

Why does it matter what the color of my skin is? Are you a racist too? (answer: yes)

Discrimination based upon race or sex has been illegal for over 55 years. Please get with the program.

When politicians start using DNA, rather than character and qualifications as ruler for whom should be in power, we are in big trouble, and voters like you share the blame.

The Establishment Republicans control the rules by which the nomination is granted. Mr. France won most of the primaries against President Hoover in 1932, yet still lost the nomination.

As a lib, I'm sure you are excited about having the GOP nominate a sure loser like Hurd- or Romney, Cheney or Hogan- in 2024. I'd say its a real possibility, depending on how well the party officials are able to silence the Deplorables.
Yeah, you guys should only nominate douchebags like Rump who will lose and then whine forever that the election was stolen. :itsok:

View attachment 622652

View attachment 622656

Regards,
Jim
I have to say your response intrigued ME…so I looked at his page you linked to (which I hadn’t seen). Very informative and much more in depth on issues than most political candidate pages. Is he trying to sell a book? Probably, but I also think it’s a springboard for higher office.

Somethings I don’t agree with (I am more to the left after all) but others are interesting and address social issues which also concern the left…very specifically. That is surprising and refreshing to have them acknowledged.

I can’t find where he said anything construed as racist or misogynistic or that DNA matters, maybe I am not seeing it?

Also can’t read the opinion piece, I used up my quota of free articles for WaPo.

Hurd might indeed win the 2024 GOP nomination.

But unless he executes a plan to win the votes of the 74 million little Trumpsters, he can expect to get royally schlonged by Brandon
I think you're discounting the fact that most people are just playing the lesser of two evils game. They didn't (or so they tell themselves) vote for Biden but rather against Trump. Many of these people would prefer a sane conservative alternative. Especially if Dems double down on the identity politics, which they almost certainly will.

I have to say your response intrigued ME…so I looked at his page you linked to (which I hadn’t seen). Very informative and much more in depth on issues than most political candidate pages. Is he trying to sell a book? Probably, but I also think it’s a springboard for higher office.

Somethings I don’t agree with (I am more to the left after all) but others are interesting and address social issues which also concern the left…very specifically. That is surprising and refreshing to have them acknowledged.

I can’t find where he said anything construed as racist or misogynistic or that DNA matters, maybe I am not seeing it?

Also can’t read the opinion piece, I used up my quota of free articles for WaPo.
Here's the opinion piece, reposted in its entirety, for non-commercial purposes of education and public information, in accordance with 17 USC § 107. I claim "fair use"...

Opinion: Will Hurd: If the GOP wants a future, it must look in the mirror​

By Will Hurd

January 22, 2021

Will Hurd, a Republican, is a former member of Congress from Texas.
Joe Biden is president in large part because Republicans have been incapable of growing the GOP to better reflect the changing demographics in the United States. We won’t be able to change that without addressing the epidemic of misinformation that has infected the party and realigning our party’s actions based on our values.

Republicans have lost seven of the last eight national popular votes, and it only took four years for us to lose the House, Senate and the White House. Republicans aren’t going to achieve electoral success by being seen as the party that defends QAnon extremists who advocate the murder of the former vice president. Nor will we see success by supporting white supremacists who call a Black police officer the n-word while that police officer puts his life on the line to protect democracy. Every Republican on the ballot in 2022 will face campaign attack ads that affiliate them with the domestic terrorists who charged the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6.

If the party wants a future, the elected officials, pundits and activists who claim to be its members must stop peddling conspiracy theories and drive out those who continue to do so. Republicans must be honest and do the right thing based on conservative values, not the thing that leads to more clicks, comments or shares on social media.

Those of us who were old enough on 9/11 will always remember the image of the second plane slamming into the World Trade Center, just like all of us will remember the images of thousands of people at the Capitol attempting an insurrection on Jan. 6. Both were acts of terrorism conducted by fanatics. If Islamist terrorism was the existential challenge of the early 2000s, then the environment of disinformation, misinformation and lies fueling domestic terrorism is the challenge of our current generation. This “infodemic" is getting worse, and it is radicalizing elements of our society.

“Big Tech” enforcing their terms of service isn’t the problem either. Don’t get me wrong, Big Tech has given conspiracy theorists, duplicitous politicians and violent extremism the tools to make a message go viral, but in the absence of political action to define the appropriate role of technology in our society, these platforms have become the only ones taking real steps to prevent content that further incites violence.

I accept that many of the people who stormed the Capitol believed the lies they were fed. They were lied to not only about the validity of the election, which was the most secure in our history, but also on a host of issues for years. They were radicalized through multiple platforms that sought to advance elected officials’ ambitions or the goals of foreign adversaries. Every person who went from peacefully protesting to joining the insurrection should be found and fully prosecuted, but conservatives need to wake up to a few realities.

The truth is, President Donald Trump lost big time. Many Republicans on the ballot across the country in 2020 outperformed the president by significant margins. He was an anchor around our necks at the voting booth.

If you believe that there was widespread fraud in the election, then you haven’t reviewed the right data, or you are listening to manipulative voices who wish to make money off you or to hawk merchandise. The state and local officials responsible for conducting elections are Republicans and Democrats who faithfully executed their duty to conduct a free and fair election.

Furthermore, if you elevate a flag that has someone’s name on it to the same level that you elevate your national flag, then you are not a patriot; you are part of a cult. When we put our hands on our hearts, we pledge allegiance to a flag, not an individual. The flag represents a nation founded on a perpetual goal to form a more perfect union, not a commitment to any one person.

The events of the past weeks show that we are far from perfect. We have given our enemies around the world fewer reasons to fear us and our allies fewer reasons to love us. If Republicans want to change their persistent popular vote losses at the national level, then we must realign our actions with our values.

Lawmakers should draw two lessons from the election: Don’t be a jerk, and don’t be a socialist. The GOP has a real opportunity to grow the party as Democrats lurch toward a far-left agenda that is out of touch with most Americans. The new GOP must reassert an old formula: Freedom enables opportunity. Opportunity allows for growth. Growth leads to progress.

Using these values to guide our decisions and being honest about the tough choices our country must make to keep this century the American Century will translate to electoral success. A new GOP starts with us looking in the mirror and being honest with ourselves about what we believe.

If Trump had managed to steal the election, we would have most of what we have now, because it is global. Likely we would still have had a debacle leaving Afghanistan (because that is what happened with Syria) and Trump would have given Putin the green light to do what he wanted with Ukraine at her than strengthen NATO and use diplomacy to consolidate Europe.
Sorry, but 10,000s of single item ballots all for Joe Biteme, is corruption of the 3rd world, which i guess you are okay with, since you also adore those diseased illegals being shipped to a local town near you, but you are sooooo wrong that Putin wouldnt invade Ukraine, because he could of done it during the 4 years of Trump but only with the brown turd Obammy/Biden and now Biteme/CamelToeHarris. The economy would be rocking, because gasoline would still be flowing while the US was energy independent, food would still be cheap, plenty of people working, playing, and having a great time....I know, i know, you cant stand happy people, so you vote for those who love misery....
Why are you such a miserable wretch?

Do you really think the want the far right? That is why Trump lost.
Trump lost because Joe Biteme had the "most extensive voter fraud organiztion" very 3rd world like. Now with all those gasoline prices doubled, did you realize that, that is like biting your nose off just to spite your face?

Binet-Simon_scale.jpg

I doubt a "supposed" fixation on trans and CRT is causing all of it
Or any of it. Trans, CRT, immigration system break downs...these are all time bombs waiting to blow up at some
future point in time. He sounds like Joe Scarborough, Mc Connell or some other spineless wonder.
He, Hurd, will have his chance to show people if he has anything at all pretty soon.

No.

If McCain hadn't chosen a conservative for VP, he would have lost by a lot more than he did.

McCain chose Palin to try and win conservative voters, and the Alaska Governor's records on important conservative issues like gun control, abortion and gay marriage are unassailable.
McCain told Palin to play nice. She did and he lost. What a schmuck (McCain).

Forum List

Back