Here Comes Florence!

Kittymom1026

Gold Member
May 17, 2018
I'm in central NC and we've had several updates about her and are advised to get prepared because as strong as this hurricane is, it will reach us with tropical storm velocity. They've already started evacuation at out coasts and I just heard that Myrtle Beach will start theirs at noon tomorrow. It's supposed to be a direct hit on us in the Wilmington area.
To those in these areas, please stay as safe as you can and if you're in the direct path of this category 4 storm, don't try to be a hero and ride it out. Your life just isn't worth it. Oh, and that goes for your pets too.

Those that leave their pets behind should be beaten near to death then drowned

I'm in central NC and we've had several updates about her and are advised to get prepared because as strong as this hurricane is, it will reach us with tropical storm velocity. They've already started evacuation at out coasts and I just heard that Myrtle Beach will start theirs at noon tomorrow. It's supposed to be a direct hit on us in the Wilmington area.
To those in these areas, please stay as safe as you can and if you're in the direct path of this category 4 storm, don't try to be a hero and ride it out. Your life just isn't worth it. Oh, and that goes for your pets too.
Just pack your car and cat and leave town for a few days.

Not worth staying there and taking a direct hit.

I agree and that what plenty of folks did back when Francis hit NC. They left their dogs tied to dog houses and they drowned.

Loads of pets were left behind. Many of them died.

If you knew the border collie I used to own you’d rethink that.

Well you obviously don't understand Border Collies.

They are a working dog. If you don't give them something to do, then they will make something to do.

I have trialed Border Collies in VA, NC and WVA. They are great dogs but need a job. They are so smart they scare you.

I've done sheep herding and obedience with my BC's and they have been outstanding.

This one has me scared. We are at the outer limits of the storm in the mountains of Va. but it still looks as though it might dump significant rain. Anything over 5 inches will cause major flooding and this thing is carrying two feet of rain in some areas.

They are a working dog. If you don't give them something to do, then they will make something to do.

I have trialed Border Collies in VA, NC and WVA. They are great dogs but need a job. They are so smart they scare you.

I've done sheep herding and obedience with my BC's and they have been outstanding.
I understand border collies. I gave this one to my mother living on a farm and the dog refused to take advantage of the space. He just sat outside the patio door, became a fat slob and died (thank God).
This one hated children. He would sacrifice himself through an electric fence just to seize the opportunity to attack a kid walking down the street. He was the Charlie Manson of dogs.
If I still had him I’d drive him to Cape Fear and tie him to a lamp post.

Hurricane Florence: Warnings of life-threatening surge...
shocked.gif

Hurricane Florence: Warnings of life-threatening surge

11 Sept.`18 - Hurricane Florence - the most powerful storm to threaten the Carolinas in nearly three decades - is expected to strengthen, say forecasters.
Officials warn there is a chance of "life-threatening inundation from rising water" over the next 48 hours as Florence heads for the US East Coast. With sustained winds of about 140mph (225km/h), the weather system is currently a category four storm. It could make landfall on Thursday, near Wilmington, North Carolina. Virginia, Maryland, Washington DC, and North and South Carolina have all declared states of emergency. "This storm is a monster," North Carolina Governor Roy Cooper told a news conference on Tuesday. "It's big and it's vicious. "It is an extremely dangerous, life-threatening, historic hurricane."

Where is Florence now?

Hurricane Florence was 725 miles (1,170km) off Cape Fear, in North Carolina, as of 20:00 Atlantic Standard Time (00:00 GMT) on Tuesday, according to the latest National Hurricane Center update. The update says Florence - which is moving north-west at about 17mph (28km/h) - is expected to strengthen on Tuesday night and on Wednesday. "While some weakening is expected on Thursday, Florence is forecast to be an extremely dangerous major hurricane through landfall," it says. Florence is expected to slow down considerably by late Thursday into Friday.

What damage could it do?

The National Weather Service predicts potential storm surges of up to 13ft (4m) on the coasts along with dangerously large swells and rip currents. Hurricane-force winds will extend outward up to 60 miles from the centre and tropical-storm-force winds up to 175 miles. Rainfall could be up to 25in (64cm) in some areas. This could worsen if, as some meteorologists predict, Florence stalls after it makes landfall. The office of Virginia Governor Ralph Northam predicted "catastrophic inland flooding, high winds and possible widespread power outages".

_103386600_flo_tuespm640-nc.png

The chief meteorologist for WCBD-TV in South Carolina, Rob Fowler, told the BBC that Florence was getting bigger, and those even 100 miles away would feel the impact. He said Florence could rival the impact of Hurricane Hugo, which wreaked $7bn (£5.3bn) in damage and claimed 49 lives in 1989. It is also likely to affect the Brunswick Nuclear Plant in Southport, North Carolina, which is just a few miles from where Florence is expected to make landfall.

What are people doing to prepare?

They should name a hurricane kitty, a more interesting head line, or how about dick....Here comes big Dick ..

:)

I understand border collies. I gave this one to my mother living on a farm and the dog refused to take advantage of the space. He just sat outside the patio door, became a fat slob and died (thank God).
This one hated children. He would sacrifice himself through an electric fence just to seize the opportunity to attack a kid walking down the street. He was the Charlie Manson of dogs.
If I still had him I’d drive him to Cape Fear and tie him to a lamp post.
There's no such thing as a bad dog (unlike kids)

What You Need to Know If You're in the Path of Hurricane Florence...
icon5.png

What You Need to Know If You're in the Path of Hurricane Florence
12 Sep 2018 - If you live on the east coast anywhere between New Jersey and Georgia you probably have heard there is a storm coming. You may have ventured out to the store and seen the shelves of bread and water bare, you may have put up sandbags around your house and packed an emergency kit, all good things.
What about your family who was told to evacuate, your GI Bill payments for the school you just started, your VA audiology appointment, your prescription refills, your doctor appointment to get that sports physical for the kids, oh and yeah what about that Navy E-5 advancement exam you were supposed to take the day before the hurricane hits? Not to worry, we have all the info here.

Family Evacuation

As of this writing, five military bases have received evacuation orders:
  1. Joint Base Charleston
  2. Joint Base Langley-Eustis
  3. MCAS Beaufort
  4. NAS Oceana-Dam Neck
  5. MCRD Parris Island
hurricane_florence_18x12.png

If you have been issued an evacuation order take it and get out of town. The military will pay you and your family to leave. Normally you are authorized to move not more than 400 miles away from your station, or to a designated evacuation location. The military will pay you and your family to travel round-trip to your evacuation location and for your meals and lodging while you are evacuated. If you haven't received an evacuation order you travel at your own expense. We have more details here.

GI Bill Benefits During and After Natural Disasters

Although the VA hasn't said anything yet, the law is specific on what will happen to your GI Bill benefits. If your school is temporarily closed due to Hurricane Florence, VA will consider your attendance as continuous and your payment won't be affected. This means that you will continue to get your housing allowance even if you can't attend classes. Veterans using the Montgomery GI Bill must verify their attendance online like normal to receive payment. Of course, this comes with some fine print. If you are enrolled, and the school hasn't sent your enrollment to the VA yet, you are out of luck. You won't get any money until classes resume. Also, if the school remains open, or opens later but you can't attend due to hurricane related issues, you won't get any GI Bill payments.

Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment

See also:

These Military Bases Are Evacuating Now as Hurricane Florence Bears Down
11 Sep 2018 - Tens of thousands of troops, their families and recruits started evacuating at least five military bases Tuesday.
Updated Sept. 12

Tens of thousands of troops, their families and recruits are evacuating at least five military bases Tuesday as millions have been told to get out of Hurricane Florence's path, which could cause widespread devastation. Florence is expected to make landfall Thursday night, and government leaders from the Carolinas up to Maryland have already declared states of emergency. While the storm has weakened slightly, the National Hurricane Center is warning that it could still pick up speed, making it one of the strongest hurricanes facing North and South Carolina in decades. The Virginia National Guard is planning to activate up to 1,500 troops for possible assistance during the hurricane, and Gov. Ralph Northam has authorized another 6,000 to remain on standby.

hurricane-evac-parris-1800.jpg

Recruits at Marine Corps Recruit Depot Parris Island prepare to evacuate to Marine Corps Logistic Base Albany following an evacuation order directed by Brig. Gen. James Glynn, the depot’s commanding general.​

Two Coast Guard MH-65 Dolphin helicopter crews flew to Savannah, Georgia, on Wednesday in preparation for Hurricane Florence response efforts. The service has also moved some of its cutters, aircraft and other assets out of the storm's path and warned the public that Coasties might not be available to respond during or immediately after the storm. Military bases from Virginia down to South Carolina fall in the evacuation zones and, so far, five commanders have ordered service members and their families to prepare to leave their homes. Here's a look at the bases affected so far, and which installations could be next.

Marine Corps Recruit Depot Parris Island, South Carolina

Recruits at the fabled training depot just north of Hilton Head will begin relocating at noon Tuesday to Marine Corps Logistics Base Albany in Georgia, where they will continue their training. "I have determined the safest course of action is to evacuate," Brig. Gen. James Glynn, Parris Island's commanding general, said Monday. Charlie Company, which is expected to graduate this week, will be moved to Albany, where it will hold its ceremony. Family is not permitted to attend, but Glynn said the event will be streamed on Parris Island's website and social media channels.

Non-essential military personnel and civilian employees have been directed to move at least 100 miles to safety, but no more than 400. They'll be reimbursed for authorized evacuation expenses, including tolls and lodging, and are directed to remain in those locations until their chains of command instruct them to return. The evacuation order also applies to Marine recruiting offices in the area that will be affected by the storm.

Marine Corps Air Station Beaufort, South Carolina

Last edited:
Granny says, "Dat's right - it's a dangerous storm...
shocked.gif

Hurricane Florence could kill 'a lot of people'

13 Sept.`18 - Hurricane Florence, which is nearing the US East Coast, could kill "a lot of people", officials warn.
Federal Emergency Management Agency (Fema) administrator Brock Long said storm surges may bring catastrophic flooding to inland areas. Though Florence has been downgraded to a category two storm with 105mph (165km/h) winds, Mr Long said it remained "very dangerous". He said "feet of rain not inches" would drench the Carolinas and Virginia.

Why isn't the downgraded storm less of a threat?

Mr Long told Thursday morning's news conference that while Florence's wind speed had dipped, its wind field had expanded and total rainfall predictions were unchanged. Floodwaters may rise up to 13ft (4m) as rivers see their flows "reversed", meteorologists have warned. "So this is a very dangerous storm," said Mr Long. "Inland flooding kills a lot of people unfortunately and that's what we're about to see." He warned that the deluge would begin within a matter of hours. "Your time is running out," he said. "The ocean is going to start rising." "Your time to get out of those areas in storm surge inundation is coming to a close. I cannot emphasise that enough." He said that people living near rivers, streams and lowland areas in the region were most at risk.

What's the situation on the ground?
Tropical-storm strength winds and heavy rains have already begun lashing North Carolina's Outer Banks barrier islands. Florence is still 110 miles from the state and is not projected to make landfall until Friday at 08:00 local time (12:00 GMT). The latest weather predictions show the storm slowing to a near standstill as it pummels the coast with "copious amounts of rain" from Thursday night to Saturday, said Mr Long. Parts of the Carolina coast are expecting 20-30 (50-75cm) inches of rain, with isolated regions seeing up to 40in of downpour. Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, is imposing a 12-hour curfew from 19:00 local time on Thursday. Nearly 1.7 million people have been ordered to evacuate the coastline of North Carolina, South Carolina and Virginia.

_103416724_florence_storm_flooding_640-nc.png

More than 10 million Americans live in places currently under storm warnings. Petrol stations in the area are reporting shortages and energy companies predict that one to three million homes and businesses may lose power. Over 1,400 flights have been cancelled, according to FlightAware.com, as most of the coastal region's airports are closed to ride out the storm. North Carolina Governor Roy Cooper warned people: "Today the threat becomes a reality." Emergency workers are arriving from other parts of the US to aid in rescues. The Coast Guard has shallow water response boats ready to help trapped residents.

Is global warming to blame?

See also:

Hurricane Florence: Your guide to the story
13 Sept.`18 - You may have heard about Hurricane Florence, the storm careering towards the US east coast prompting warnings of an impending disaster.
But what makes Florence so different from other storms this year? From Beryl, Chris, and Debby? We've pulled together some of the key elements that explain why officials are so worried, and what damage Florence could cause.

One video to watch

The storm's winds may have weakened in recent days - they are now at 110mph (175km/h) - but there are fears Florence's slow-moving nature could bring different problems. Forecasters say it could slow dramatically when it nears land and then linger until Saturday, moving unpredictably along the coast and bringing torrential rain. Up to 1.7 million people have been ordered to evacuate across South Carolina, North Carolina and Virginia. A further 10 million people are now under some form of storm watch. So how are these people preparing? We spoke to those braced for Florence's looming arrival.

One striking picture

_103407921_hi049251071.jpg

Hurricane Florence seen off the US east coast in the Atlantic Ocean

This satellite image of Florence hurtling towards the east coast on Wednesday gives a sense of its massive scale. A National Weather Service forecaster has said it will be the "storm of a lifetime" for parts of the Carolina coast. One emergency official said it will be a "Mike Tyson punch" to the area. There will be hurricane-force winds up to 80 miles from the centre of the storm, meteorologists say. Some forecasters have predicted it could be the most powerful storm ever to hit the region.

One big number

[center]
_103406583_datapic-florencenumber-0dwxk-nc.png
[/center]

Florence could do more than $170bn (£130bn) of damage and affect nearly 759,000 homes and businesses, says analytics firm CoreLogic. Energy companies have also warned that the storm could knock out power for the foreseeable future in some areas. "This is no ordinary storm, and people could be without power for a very long time - not days but weeks," a president of one energy company in North Carolina said on Wednesday.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45506922One bit of context

Florence turns deadly...
shocked.gif

Hurricane Florence: Deadly 'brute' of a storm ravages Carolinas

14 Sept.`18 - Four people have died as Hurricane Florence mauls the US East Coast, knocking out power to 600,000 homes and causing buildings to crumble.
A mother and child were killed when a tree fell on their house in Wilmington, North Carolina. The father was transported to hospital with injuries. Dozens of people were rescued from a collapsing hotel as a huge storm surge toppled trees and swamped streets. Evacuation warnings are in place for 1.7 million people. The third fatality was a Pender County, North Carolina, woman who had a medical condition. She called for emergency assistance, but ambulance workers could not reach her in time because fallen trees blocked their route. In Lenoir County, a person was killed while plugging in a generator, according to the governor's office. Florence made landfall at Wrightsville Beach, North Carolina, on Friday morning as a category one storm. North Carolina Governor Roy Cooper told a news conference that whole communities "could be wiped away" by the 400-mile-wide hurricane. "It's an uninvited brute who doesn't want to leave," he said.

_103437497_gettyimages-1033094616.jpg

Some residents refuse to evacuate because not all shelters accept pets​

The state's transportation secretary, James Trogdon, said it may see flooding that normally only occurs once every 1,000 years. Parts of North Carolina have seen storm surges as high as 10ft (3m). Thousands of miles away a powerful storm has reached the Philippines. More than five million people are in the path of Super Typhoon Mangkhut, officials say. By early afternoon on Friday Florence's winds had weakened to 75mph, and it was expected to gradually weaken further over the weekend. But US officials say it remains extremely dangerous because of potential catastrophic flooding. The North Carolina governor said the hurricane was likely to "continue its violent grind across the state for days" as it crawls along at just 5mph. Forecasters say the storm surge, together with up to 3.5ft (1m) of rain over the next few days, could spawn a slow-motion disaster. By Friday morning, the North Carolina coastal town of Atlantic Beach had already received 30in (76cm) of rain, the US Geological Service said.

_103439307_florence_5pm-nc.png

Florence is forecast to dump about 18 trillion gallons of rainwater on US soil, most of it in North Carolina, meteorologist Ryan Maue tweeted. Hurricane Harvey last year shed 33 trillion gallons of rainwater in the US. Nearly 620,000 homes and businesses are without power; energy companies say up to three million homes and businesses could lose electricity. Officials have estimated that restoring electricity could take days or even weeks. In Jacksonville, North Carolina, officials rescued more than 60 people overnight from a hotel that was collapsing in the storm. Emergency workers arrived to find the Triangle Motor Inn's structure crumbling, with many guests still in their rooms. As parts of the roof caved in, police had to force their way into some suites amid 75mph winds to reach those inside. All of the occupants, who included children and pets, were safely rescued. Parts of New Bern, North Carolina, which is home to 30,000 people, were 10ft underwater. At least 200 householders in the riverfront city had to be plucked to safety by authorities.

MORE

Police arrest 5 in North Carolina as looters begin to capitalize on Florence chaos...
shocked.gif

Police arrest 5 in North Carolina as looters begin to capitalize on Florence chaos

15 Sept.`18 - Police in North Carolina arrested five people Saturday night as looters began to break into stores while Tropical Storm Florence brought chaos to the region. Wilmington Police confirmed the arrests on Twitter but did not immediately release the identities of the five individuals.
NEWS ALERT - Moments ago officers arrested five individuals who broke in and looted the Dollar General at 5th & Dawson Streets. Charges are pending and those details will be released as they become available.

— Wilmington Police (@WilmingtonPD) September 15, 2018
“Charges are pending and those details will be released as they become available,” police said.

Authorities said about 1:30 p.m. they became aware of looting taking place at the Dollar General on 5th and Dawson Streets but were initially asked by management “not to intervene at this time.”

EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: @WilmingtonPD has alerted for some looting happening in #Wilmington including at this Family Dollar Store at 13th & Greenfield Sts. We just passed by and shot some video pic.twitter.com/N9CtN7RVtv

— Marta Dhanis (@MartaDhanis) September 15, 2018
They later said on Twitter that they were working to identify the thieves and would "will charge them to the fullest extent of the law.”

In response to looting reports, the city of Wilmington extended its curfew for the affected area. A tweet spelled out the particulars:

In response to looting in the area, an extended curfew is now in place for the block between 13th, 14th, Greenfield and Martin Streets. This curfew went into effect at 5 pm and will remain in effect until 6 am. The citywide curfew will run from 10 pm until 6 am.

— Wilmington NC (@CityofWilm) September 15, 2018
"In response to looting in the area, an extended curfew is now in place for the block between 13th, 14th, Greenfield and Martin Streets. This curfew went into effect at 5 pm and will remain in effect until 6 am. The citywide curfew will run from 10 pm until 6 am."

The National Hurricane Center said on Saturday afternoon that “catastrophic flooding” is expected in certain parts of the Carolinas as Florence remained stationary over the region. At least 11 deaths have been linked to Flo so far.

Police arrest 5 in North Carolina as looters begin to capitalize on Florence chaos

Forum List

Back