Here Are The 3 Current Members of Congress Who Voted Against Martin Luther King Jr. Holiday

Yes, they were conservatives and those conservatives became republicans. Strom Thurmond, Jesse Helms, Mills E. Godwin, Jr., just to name a few.
many left the dem party as they got older and wiser

the racist stayed in tve demklan Eastland, Biden, Byrd etc

“Southern senators launched a filibuster against the bill,”
/——/ Southern DEMOCRAT senators launched a filibuster against the bill. Republicans broke the filibuster to get it passed. Same with the VRA of 1965.
There, I fixed it for you. No need to thank me. I’m here to help.

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. is lauded near-universally by politicians every year, but there are still three members serving in the U.S. Congress who voted against the King holiday — 2 at the federal level and 1 as a state legislator.

Then-President Ronald Reagan reluctantly signed the federal Martin Luther King holiday into law in November of 1983 after the U.S. Senate passed the bill by a 78-22 margin, while the House of Representatives had voted in favor of it by a margin of 338-90. That’s over 78 percent of those who voted, well above the two-thirds needed to override a veto.

The current members of Congress who joined Sen. Jesse Helms in voting against the holiday are all Republicans, although one was a Democrat at the time and later switched parties. They are: Senator Chuck Grassley (R-IA) and Rep. Hal Rogers (R-KY).

House Minority Whip Steve Scalise (R-LA) is the only other member to have voted against a King holiday, in 1999 and 2004, but at the state level.

As tempting as it is to view these votes as relics of a past that America has evolved well past, and could never happen these days, a new poll sheds some doubt on that proposition. The latest The Economist/YouGov poll shows that even fewer Republican voters support the King holiday today than did in 1983.

Asked “Do you think that Martin Luther King’s birthday should be a Federal Holiday?”, only 39 percent of Republicans said “yes,” MLK Day should be a federal holiday, with the remaining 61 percent either against it (36%) or not sure (23%).

Overall, 55 percent of respondents said “yes,” Martin Luther King’s birthday should be a Federal Holiday, with 24 percent responding “no” and another 21 percent saying they were “not sure.”

That’s less Republican support than an October, 1983 poll that found 48 percent of Republicans at the time favored establishing the law. Forty-two percent of Republicans were opposed, while 10 percent were “not sure.”

I wonder how many folks who think Dr. King's birthday shouldn't be a national holiday actually work on that Monday instead of taking it off.

Considering the New Left pisses all over MLK's grave, maybe you should focus more on that.

He said judge people by the content of their character, not the color of their skin.

The modern Left does the exact opposite - literally dividing and categorizing people based on nothing but their race/gender/sexuality into a hierarchy conducive to their sick commie "struggle sessions".

Yeah, MLK would have way bigger beef with today's Democrats then he would with the Republicans.

Believe that.

this thread was about federal holidays not state holidays....am i right?....

I recall no mail delivery and many federal institutions (court houses, offhand) are closed in MA for Patriots Day. All government employees have too many half-baked holidays, whether or not you get the bonus from MA.

I recall no mail delivery and many federal institutions (court houses, offhand) are closed in MA for Patriots Day. All government employees have too many half-baked holidays, whether or not you get the bonus from MA.
i can only speak for the the post office and it only gets federal holidays off...

/——/ Southern DEMOCRAT senators launched a filibuster against the bill. Republicans broke the filibuster to get it passed. Same with the VRA of 1965.
There, I fixed it for you. No need to thank me. I’m here to help.
Actually Northern Republicans and Democrats broke the filibuster, what do I need to thank you for? I am pretty sure in 1964 you would have been on the side of Southern Democrats.

Considering the New Left pisses all over MLK's grave, maybe you should focus more on that.
Actually that would be Republicans, conservatives, right wingers, etc.
He said judge people by the content of their character, not the color of their skin.

The modern Left does the exact opposite - literally dividing and categorizing people based on nothing but their race/gender/sexuality into a hierarchy conducive to their sick commie "struggle sessions".

Yeah, MLK would have way bigger beef with today's Democrats then he would with the Republicans.

Believe that.
It's funny how white men who hated Dr. King are always trying to tell us what he would think today.

Actually that would be Republicans, conservatives, right wingers, etc.

It's funny how white men who hated Dr. King are always trying to tell us what he would think today.

White men like your plantation boss Joey Xiden who worked with hhs mentors Eastland and Byrd to undo things like school desegregation that king fought for

name a dem that broke the filibuster
Evertt Dirkson a Republican with the help of Hubert Humphrey a Democrat helped to break the 1964 filibuster by Southern Democrats led by Storm Thurmond who in the 70s became a Champion for the Republican Party until he took a dirt nap.

White men like your plantation boss Joey Xiden who worked with hhs mentors Eastland and Byrd to undo things like school desegregation that king fought for
It is the Republican Party today that fights against the principles of Dr. King when he spoke of reparations for those who suffered racial injustice in this country.

It is the Republican Party today that fights against the principles of Dr. King when he spoke of reparations for those who suffered racial injustice in this country.
if mlk was for reparations he was wrong…

on other issues he was right

Forum List

Back