Here Are The 3 Current Members of Congress Who Voted Against Martin Luther King Jr. Holiday

Anything that I've enjoyed came through personal sacrifice and initiative.
2 major values that are foreign concepts to you and much of your ilk!!

You are truly F'ed up. If you can't make it here, you can't make it anywhere!!!
No, dumbass you've enjoyed it because you had the privilege to attain. Black folks for most of our time in America were denied that privilege and to a certain degree you still enjoy privileges that black folks don't. Black folks have sacrificed in this country since the first slave walked off the ship, racist fools like you try to deny the history of America when it comes to the injustices black folks have suffered in this country. It is exactly what Dr. King was talking about, but you don't hear that all you hear is I HAVE A DREAM.

SuperBad still fishin' for those phony reparations!
Taker!!
What's phony about them? Other than the fact racist like you are in denial about the restitution that black folks should be afforded that every other group of folks have been given, ie. Jewish, Native American, Japanese-Americans, Eskimoes, etc.

Yep I also remember what Abraham Lincoln said about black folks as well.

Hmmm, so why is it that all the achievements that black folks have made in this country happen under Democrats? Why is it that the Republican Party is 92% white? Today's Republican Party has the mindset of the sheet wearers, why is it that the majority of racist in this country in the Republican Party? Why would black folks want to be a part of a party that has folks like you in it?
what achievments....if blacks are doing so great why do they complain that their lives are shit

No, dumbass you've enjoyed it because you had the privilege to attain. Black folks for most of our time in America were denied that privilege and to a certain degree you still enjoy privileges that black folks don't. Black folks have sacrificed in this country since the first slave walked off the ship, racist fools like you try to deny the history of America when it comes to the injustices black folks have suffered in this country. It is exactly what Dr. King was talking about, but you don't hear that all you hear is I HAVE A DREAM.

Black folk have had plenty of opportunity to attain in the last 40 years!!

If not by now, then when??
(I know, they just need reparations.)

TAKER!!

What's phony about them? Other than the fact racist like you are in denial about the restitution that black folks should be afforded that every other group of folks have been given, ie. Jewish, Native American, Japanese-Americans, Eskimoes, etc.

You're so full of shit that your breath stinks!!

Black folk have had plenty of opportunity to attain in the last 40 years!!

If not by now, then when??
(I know, they just need reparations.)

TAKER!!
Actually we haven't, for the simple fact there are still too many racist ass clowns like you making policy and setting bills. So are you telling us that 40yrs have made up for the first 328yrs.

Actually we haven't, for the simple fact there are still too many racist ass clowns like you making policy and setting bills. So are you telling us that 40yrs have made up for the first 328yrs.
To those affected that are not African American during those 40 years.... they know.

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. is lauded near-universally by politicians every year, but there are still three members serving in the U.S. Congress who voted against the King holiday — 2 at the federal level and 1 as a state legislator.

Then-President Ronald Reagan reluctantly signed the federal Martin Luther King holiday into law in November of 1983 after the U.S. Senate passed the bill by a 78-22 margin, while the House of Representatives had voted in favor of it by a margin of 338-90. That’s over 78 percent of those who voted, well above the two-thirds needed to override a veto.

The current members of Congress who joined Sen. Jesse Helms in voting against the holiday are all Republicans, although one was a Democrat at the time and later switched parties. They are: Senator Chuck Grassley (R-IA) and Rep. Hal Rogers (R-KY).

House Minority Whip Steve Scalise (R-LA) is the only other member to have voted against a King holiday, in 1999 and 2004, but at the state level.

As tempting as it is to view these votes as relics of a past that America has evolved well past, and could never happen these days, a new poll sheds some doubt on that proposition. The latest The Economist/YouGov poll shows that even fewer Republican voters support the King holiday today than did in 1983.

Asked “Do you think that Martin Luther King’s birthday should be a Federal Holiday?”, only 39 percent of Republicans said “yes,” MLK Day should be a federal holiday, with the remaining 61 percent either against it (36%) or not sure (23%).

Overall, 55 percent of respondents said “yes,” Martin Luther King’s birthday should be a Federal Holiday, with 24 percent responding “no” and another 21 percent saying they were “not sure.”

That’s less Republican support than an October, 1983 poll that found 48 percent of Republicans at the time favored establishing the law. Forty-two percent of Republicans were opposed, while 10 percent were “not sure.”

I wonder how many folks who think Dr. King's birthday shouldn't be a national holiday actually work on that Monday instead of taking it off.
Good for them.

He would turn even harder if he could see what the Republican Party has become and he would ask what the hell has the Republican Party done for the black family unit. I would tell him, "not a damn thing."
And Dr. King would look at you, slap you across your racist mouth, and tell you to STFU, get a job, and get out of the 60’s and try reality and the truth for once.

And Dr. King would look at you, slap you across your racist mouth, and tell you to STFU, get a job, and get out of the 60’s and try reality and the truth for once.
He would kick you in your racist ass and tell you to STFU, stop denying black folks jobs and get out your punk ass out of the 60s.

Forum List

Back