Here Are The 3 Current Members of Congress Who Voted Against Martin Luther King Jr. Holiday

He would turn even harder if he could see what the Republican Party has become and he would ask what the hell has the Republican Party done for the black family unit. I would tell him, "not a damn thing."

When are you going to figure out the black family unit has to sole its own problems? Politicians are not going to help.
You’d rather be angry for the rest of your life than admit it.

When are you going to figure out the black family unit has to sole its own problems? Politicians are not going to help.
You’d rather be angry for the rest of your life than admit it.
At the same time I figured out America gave the black family unit many of the problems it has today. Of course we don't sit around waiting on some benevolent white man to get us out of our problems, but we do realize you caused many of the problems.

Which means you have no clue, so just throw out some shit and hope it sticks.
/----/ Librtarians disagree. But, I doubt you'll read past the first few paragraphs.

Black America Before LBJ: How the Welfare State Inadvertently Helped ...

"The black family, which had survived centuries of slavery and discrimination, began rapidly disintegrating in the liberal welfare state that subsidized unwed pregnancy and changed welfare from an emergency rescue to a way of life." Thomas Sowell The biggest problem resulting from the Great Society is the breakdown of the black family.

And here's the real purpose of your thread; using MLK day to panhandle for reparations. :iyfyus.jpg:
You stinking ass clowns love to quote I have a dream, but you run from what Dr. King said was the REAL problem in America.

/----/ Librtarians disagree. But, I doubt you'll read past the first few paragraphs.

Black America Before LBJ: How the Welfare State Inadvertently Helped ...

"The black family, which had survived centuries of slavery and discrimination, began rapidly disintegrating in the liberal welfare state that subsidized unwed pregnancy and changed welfare from an emergency rescue to a way of life." Thomas Sowell The biggest problem resulting from the Great Society is the breakdown of the black family.
An opinion piece from the Libertarin Institute. Tell me how great it was for the black family before that period.

You stinking ass clowns love to quote I have a dream, but you run from what Dr. King said was the REAL problem in America.

An opinion piece from the Libertarin Institute. Tell me how great it was for the black family before that period.

/——/ You’ll reject anything I post claiming they are opinion pieces, so do your own research.

It should not be a holiday. Nor should any of the other bogus government-worker holidays.
Yes it terrible that some people are off today. Hilarious. People should be working and dog gone it working like a slave be ause by golly their boss is a great person. Lmao.

Your character lacks content.
You rush stage left for the hand-outs instead of perceiving them as a hands-up!!

Your ilk has alot of company.

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. is lauded near-universally by politicians every year, but there are still three members serving in the U.S. Congress who voted against the King holiday — 2 at the federal level and 1 as a state legislator.

Then-President Ronald Reagan reluctantly signed the federal Martin Luther King holiday into law in November of 1983 after the U.S. Senate passed the bill by a 78-22 margin, while the House of Representatives had voted in favor of it by a margin of 338-90. That’s over 78 percent of those who voted, well above the two-thirds needed to override a veto.

The current members of Congress who joined Sen. Jesse Helms in voting against the holiday are all Republicans, although one was a Democrat at the time and later switched parties. They are: Senator Chuck Grassley (R-IA) and Rep. Hal Rogers (R-KY).

House Minority Whip Steve Scalise (R-LA) is the only other member to have voted against a King holiday, in 1999 and 2004, but at the state level.

As tempting as it is to view these votes as relics of a past that America has evolved well past, and could never happen these days, a new poll sheds some doubt on that proposition. The latest The Economist/YouGov poll shows that even fewer Republican voters support the King holiday today than did in 1983.

Asked “Do you think that Martin Luther King’s birthday should be a Federal Holiday?”, only 39 percent of Republicans said “yes,” MLK Day should be a federal holiday, with the remaining 61 percent either against it (36%) or not sure (23%).

Overall, 55 percent of respondents said “yes,” Martin Luther King’s birthday should be a Federal Holiday, with 24 percent responding “no” and another 21 percent saying they were “not sure.”

That’s less Republican support than an October, 1983 poll that found 48 percent of Republicans at the time favored establishing the law. Forty-two percent of Republicans were opposed, while 10 percent were “not sure.”

I wonder how many folks who think Dr. King's birthday shouldn't be a national holiday actually work on that Monday instead of taking it off.
Every day is a Federal Holiday. Way overpaid.

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. is lauded near-universally by politicians every year, but there are still three members serving in the U.S. Congress who voted against the King holiday — 2 at the federal level and 1 as a state legislator.

Then-President Ronald Reagan reluctantly signed the federal Martin Luther King holiday into law in November of 1983 after the U.S. Senate passed the bill by a 78-22 margin, while the House of Representatives had voted in favor of it by a margin of 338-90. That’s over 78 percent of those who voted, well above the two-thirds needed to override a veto.

The current members of Congress who joined Sen. Jesse Helms in voting against the holiday are all Republicans, although one was a Democrat at the time and later switched parties. They are: Senator Chuck Grassley (R-IA) and Rep. Hal Rogers (R-KY).

House Minority Whip Steve Scalise (R-LA) is the only other member to have voted against a King holiday, in 1999 and 2004, but at the state level.

As tempting as it is to view these votes as relics of a past that America has evolved well past, and could never happen these days, a new poll sheds some doubt on that proposition. The latest The Economist/YouGov poll shows that even fewer Republican voters support the King holiday today than did in 1983.

Asked “Do you think that Martin Luther King’s birthday should be a Federal Holiday?”, only 39 percent of Republicans said “yes,” MLK Day should be a federal holiday, with the remaining 61 percent either against it (36%) or not sure (23%).

Overall, 55 percent of respondents said “yes,” Martin Luther King’s birthday should be a Federal Holiday, with 24 percent responding “no” and another 21 percent saying they were “not sure.”

That’s less Republican support than an October, 1983 poll that found 48 percent of Republicans at the time favored establishing the law. Forty-two percent of Republicans were opposed, while 10 percent were “not sure.”

I wonder how many folks who think Dr. King's birthday shouldn't be a national holiday actually work on that Monday instead of taking it off.
I took the day off today to honor his legacy.

Is it whatever I can fleece or is it what the Federal Gov't NEVER gave us that you have enjoyed.

Anything that I've enjoyed came through personal sacrifice and initiative.
2 major values that are foreign concepts to you and much of your ilk!!

You are truly F'ed up. If you can't make it here, you can't make it anywhere!!!

Forum List

Back