Help identify the bones

rupol2000

Gold Member
Aug 22, 2021
First of all, I am interested in whether these can be human bones, and how to find out for sure.

shot0001.png
shot0002.png
shot0004.png
shot0005.png
shot0006.png
shot0010.png
shot0012.png
shot0013.png
shot0014.png
shot0015.png
shot0016.png
shot0018.png
shot0019.png
shot0067.png
shot0096.png

You know, it looks more like an animal bone to me, but I'm no expert. However, if you DO want an expert opinion, simply take it into your local police station, tell them where you found it, and ask them to test it as you are wondering. They will check it out, and if human, an investigation will be started.

• Banned
You know, it looks more like an animal bone to me, but I'm no expert. However, if you DO want an expert opinion, simply take it into your local police station, tell them where you found it, and ask them to test it as you are wondering. They will check it out, and if human, an investigation will be started.
This is not easy to do where I live. To force the police to work, you need a good reason. If I knew for sure that these are human bones, it would be easier.

Why do you think these are animal bones?

This is not easy to do where I live. To force the police to work, you need a good reason. If I knew for sure that these are human bones, it would be easier.

Why do you think these are animal bones?

They look a lot like a deer hip bone. I spent a lot of time hunting in Montana. And, like I said, take them into the police station, along with your question, and they will take it. They might not get right on it, but they will eventually get to it.

• Banned
They look a lot like a deer hip bone. I spent a lot of time hunting in Montana. And, like I said, take them into the police station, along with your question, and they will take it. They might not get right on it, but they will eventually get to it.
It's definitely not a deer. There are no deer in our places, and there are none nearby.

By the way, I didn’t know that there could be deer in Montana, I thought it is an animal of the tundra.

Bones look like they're broken

I was talking about the slice on the ball of the joint ... Not where the bone was broken.

It is what it looks like when you slice along a joint to separate a leg from a carcass and the blade gets into the bone.
This is something you normally do when field dressing a large animal, or a butcher does it at the meat shop.

What happened to the bone after that is irrelevant because anything could have broken
the bone prior to the death of the creature or gnawed/chomped on it long afterwards.

I mention the slice on the ball joint because that would most likely be manmade and not natural.

Last edited:

I was talking about the slice on the ball of the joint ... Not where the bone was broken.

It is what it looks like when you slice along a joint to separate a leg from a carcass and the blade gets into the bone.
This is something you normally do when field dressing a large animal, or a butcher does it at the meat shop.

And why was it necessary to break bones if it was just butchering a carcass?

And why was it necessary to break bones if it was just butchering a carcass?

Breaking can be natural over time, or interference with other creatures ...
Slicing is something manmade ... That's the difference.

The bone could be broken if the creature was shot in the leg.
The bone could be broken if a canine snapped it in half long after it was discarded.

The slice ... Is different and not caused by nature ... :thup:

How'd you find these?

I usually find cow bones, and oyster shells in old dump sites, because those were common for people back then to eat a lot of

Yes, I found it in a landfill outside the city, there were still traces of excavations.

It is not clear why these bones are broken

Yes, I found it in a landfill outside the city, there were still traces of excavations.

It is not clear why these bones are broken

The butchering process cuts down the bones, and spending years underground may have eroded the original cut marks, so now they appear to be broken. The next time I'm out digging, I'll take pictures and show you what I mean.

The butchering process cuts down the bones, and spending years underground may have eroded the original cut marks, so now they appear to be broken. The next time I'm out digging, I'll take pictures and show you what I mean.
To be honest, I think you are wrong. The first bone looks like a femur, you can see the neck of the femur. It is too small for a cow, about the size of a fist in whole size.

It looks like a human bone

shot0016-png.656545

i.jpg

Forum List

Back