Hello - I am new here

it sounds almost the same as what we have now from that description. At least as far as how things are paid for

I pay 6% of my income to my private insurance and my employer pays the same amount. Then I pay an additional percentage to the government for medicare (govt care)

If I only ended up having to pay $10-20 more a week in order to insure every american i'd be willing to do it, as long as by doing so we are not letting the government control the care and coverage. They can regulate it but not control it IMO.

it sounds almost the same as what we have now from that description. At least as far as how things are paid for

I pay 6% of my income to my private insurance and my employer pays the same amount. Then I pay an additional percentage to the government for medicare (govt care)

If I only ended up having to pay $10-20 more a week in order to insure every american i'd be willing to do it, as long as by doing so we are not letting the government control the care and coverage. They can regulate it but not control it IMO.

Hello Pilgrim,

I think there still is a difference:
As an employee you have no choice but to get an public insurance (or you earn enough to opt out) and the insurance companies are not allowed to make profit. They offer exactly the same benefits and therefore try to compete with better service. Also, as some of the insurances have more older members than others, which have more young and fit members, there exits a pool, from which this is partly balanced.
Our "Krankenkassen" as they are called (approx. 220) have therefore no interest in pleasing shareholders or try to make as much money as possible. Also, as practically everybody who is in work (the unemployed are covered as well).

The important thing is, that our system is not controlles by a free market, but by the government. The federal government sets the standards and controls the system, but does not run it.

Regards
the german guy

You know what is funny? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Every language says "fucked" (excuse my french), the same way :lol:

I don't think I have ever said that word on this forum :eek: :redface:

Except the chinese says it this way "性交",. I wonder how it sounds in Chinese

Not true. Our newbie can correct me if I'm wrong. the German word for fox is fuck.

It is only laughter that is common to all languages.

Welcome, germanguy.

Last edited:

Not true. Our newbie can correct me if I'm wrong. the German word for fox is fuck.

Welcome, germanguy.

Hi - thanks for welcoming...
To be honest, "fuck" for swearing purpose would be "Scheisse" (="Shhhiiit") the activity is Ficken (very bad word;-)) and a fox is a "Fuchs". But it sounds nearly as "fuck".

Ich kann mit meinem Eierlöffel Fledermäuse töten.....

Regards

the germanguy:lol:

Welcome, germanguy.

To be honest, "fuck" for swearing purpose would be "Scheisse" (="Shhhiiit") the activity is Ficken (very bad word;-)) and a fox is a "Fuchs". But it sounds nearly as "fuck".

Regards

Is this the Welcome Wagon? I am new here as well. What's a girl gotta do to get attention around here?

Welcome, germanguy.

Regards

What about killing a bat? :lol:

WELCOME, ze germanguy!

Is this the Welcome Wagon? I am new here as well. What's a girl gotta do to get attention around here?
Start a new thread in this forum introducing yourself...see what happens next. You be nice...we be nice...you be smart ass...you get cut down. Make your choice and live with the consequences.

Welcome...and happy posting.

Welcome, germanguy.

Regards

What about killing a bat? :lol:

WELCOME, ze germanguy!

Hi Neser,

the sentence about the bats is from a german Monty Pythons sketch they did in the seventies.
They did two 45 min parts totally in german - or a kind of german - and this sketch was with John Cleese. I like the sentence so much, because in english it is :
I can kill bats with my spoon (or egg-spoon) and in german in translates to a hilarious amount of Umlaute (=ä,ö usw) and nice, long german words. And John Cleese (who speaks german quite well) is simply the greatest comedian I know.
And also I love englishspeaking people who think that german is a language simply of crackeling sounds and command tones.
Mostly hilarious is, when american actors try to speak german. (Yez - ze germans love to be adressed with a full-hearted "Heil Hitler").

Therefore I am quite thankful, that Tom Cruise stopped doing it after a minute in Valkyrie (good movie - btw and Eddie Izzard as Erich Fellgiebel is simply great !).
The phonetics do not match by any means.

Therefore: Anybody from the U.S. or the UK trying to speak german:
Pronounce every letter as it is written and then you will come pretty close.

And now to the longest german word ever noted:

Donaudampfschiffahrtsgesellschaftskapitän.

Regards

the germanguy

I frequently eat German food. Does that make me a honorary German.
Begrüßen Sie Freund!
(Just send me Sha-Ka-Kola and I'll be your friend for life. LOL)

Last edited:
Begrüßen Sie Freund!

what you wrote is translated as:

"Greet friend!"

german version: Ich (be)grüße Sie, mein Freund (no one would actually say that; very formal)

Begrüßen Sie Freund!

You are serious ?
Well you know about the shortest books in the World ?

"History of Italian Organisational Skills"
"The best british food"
"Full History of German Humor"
and finally:
"Low-fat diet on german food".

Hehe..

Anyway, Scho-Ka-Cola is still available here, so PM me your adress and I will see what I can do. (You must be an addict...the taste is -hm- strange.)

And yes, liking german food makes you a honorary German.
Ever tried our cooked mussles ?
Or Stuffed Pigs Stomach ?
Well, you must earn it to get it...

Anybody here interested in receipes of true german specialities ? (Also of the above, if you are daring !)

I love cooking and therefore I know quite a lot of receipes which are very good and not
the normal Bratwurst and Schnitzel.

Anyway - just ask - or leave it.

Regards
the german guy

In European Hell the Brits cook, ze Germans form the police, the French are the Lovers and the Italians organize everything.

I am also new here and have a problem. My post fail to post and I get a message that reads I should make 15 post before I can post to another forum. I thought that this board was POLITICS which I made my first post on. Any help here please.

Begrüßen Sie Freund!

You are serious ?

"The best british food"
and finally:

Hehe..

Anyway, Scho-Ka-Cola is still available here, so PM me your adress and I will see what I can do. (You must be an addict...the taste is -hm- strange.)

Anybody here interested in receipes of true german specialities ? (Also of the above, if you are daring !)

I love cooking and therefore I know quite a lot of receipes which are very good and not

Regards
the german guy

In European Hell the Brits cook, ze Germans form the police, the French are the Lovers and the Italians organize everything.

I get my Sha-Ka-Cola from a source in Germany via E-bay but always looking for a cheaper alternative. I am also interested in inexpensive German recipes for feeding 30 + people.
I World War II reenact and occasionally play as a Gebirgsjager (Wehrmacht, not SS) Unteroffizier. I also play a Generalleutnant, I am a twin for Julius Ringel, commander, 5th Gebirgsjager.

Begrüßen Sie Freund!

You are serious ?

"The best british food"
and finally:

Hehe..

Regards
the german guy

I get my Sha-Ka-Cola from a source in Germany via E-bay but always looking for a cheaper alternative. I am also interested in inexpensive German recipes for feeding 30 + people.
I World War II reenact and occasionally play as a Gebirgsjager (Wehrmacht, not SS) Unteroffizier. I also play a Generalleutnant, I am a twin for Julius Ringel, commander, 5th Gebirgsjager.

The easiest way is "Eintopf", the german version of a stew.

Just take:

3 to 4 heads of green cabbage
500 grams of speck, if not available take bacon
10 middle sized onions
per person 100 g smoked pork chop
(if this is not available any kind of smoked sausage will do)
also per person 2 to 3 large potatoes

Now cut the speck in little pieces, as well as the onions.
Put speck and onions together into a large enough pot for 30 persons.
Medium heat.
The green cabbage is cut to little pieces and added to the onions, when these become "milky". They must not become brown or black !
When the cabbage is becoming "wobbly", add some water or bouillon.
When the cabbage is done, add the potatoes and the pork chops to the cabbage.

The longer the mass is boiled on low to medium flame, the better the taste.
Also add some salt, pepper and caraway (! otherwise you will "gas" your neighbour).

This is a very hearthy meal, classic in my region when very cold.
It will taste even better when warmed up one day after preparing.
But it should be rather cold when this is eaten (also cabbage is better in winter !).

In regard of re-enactments of WWII, they are not particular popular here.
But I know of friends in Britain who love to run around in Wehrmacht uniforms (they say they look cooler than the english ones). Not my cup of tea, but as long they do not invade Poland, let them play.

Regards
ze germanguy

Last edited:
You are serious ?

"The best british food"
and finally:

Hehe..

Regards
the german guy

The easiest way is "Eintopf", the german version of a stew.

Just take:

3 to 4 heads of green cabbage
500 grams of speck, if not available take bacon
10 middle sized onions
per person 100 g smoked pork chop
(if this is not available any kind of smoked sausage will do)
also per person 2 to 3 large potatoes

Now cut the speck in little pieces, as well as the onions.
Put speck and onions together into a large enough pot for 30 persons.
Medium heat.
The green cabbage is cut to little pieces and added to the onions, when these become "milky". They must not become brown or black !
When the cabbage is becoming "wobbly", add some water or bouillon.
When the cabbage is done, add the potatoes and the pork chops to the cabbage.

The longer the mass is boiled on low to medium flame, the better the taste.
Also add some salt, pepper and caraway (! otherwise you will "gas" your neighbour).

This is a very hearthy meal, classic in my region when very cold.
It will taste even better when warmed up one day after preparing.
But it should be rather cold when this is eaten (also cabbage is better in winter !).

In regard of re-enactments of WWII, they are not particular popular here.
But I know of friends in Britain who love to run around in Wehrmacht uniforms (they say they look cooler than the english ones). Not my cup of tea, but as long they do not invade Poland, let them play.

Regards
ze germanguy

Thanks for the recipe! Sounds extremely good, I'll give it a try for the next big event.
As for WWII reenacting/living history, I'm a history buff and the period from 1930 to 1950 is a passion of mine. I also do British and Russian and on occasion Union (Federal), American Civil War. Most of what we do is to present a "living history" for people as an adjunct to simply reading or watching history in a book or on TV.

Howdy , What do you think of the islamization of Germany?

Hi Mr Fitnah,

nice to meet you..

Re the so-called islamization of Germany / Europe, I do not see this is happening.

Seen from the outside, it looks like that, but if you look closer, this is not happening.
First of all, the most muslims in Germany are mostly Turks or germans of turkish origin.
They have started to worship more openly and build their mosques more openly, but that is fine with me. A lot of the turks are muslims only on the paper.

After the 9/11 we had a large debate here about the better integration of our immigrants.
This includes now, that islam is now a subject in school and muslim children can get lessons under surveillance of the state. (In Germany, the christian churches are giving religion as subject in schools. But only the Roman Catholic Church and the Protestant Churches. Well, plus the Orthodox and the Jews. This ensures, that it is regulated and supervised what they do. I know this is a strange idea to Americans, but here the traditional churches are more intermingled with the state.)

We only have started to formulate a policy how to better integrate immigrants and there are problems. Especially there, where traditions of immigrants collide with our culture, there are frictions (i.e. shall muslim girls be allowed to have swimming lessons together with boys or is sexual education manatory etc.).
Also, there is a very visible minority of radical muslims, bragging about islam getting the upper hand in Europe etc.
But the most muslims I see, simply want to live their life, raise their children and live here.

Islam is now more present in Germany, but this mainly because a lot of immigrants have started to see this as a self-assurance and re-discovering of their identity.
Still, we are having big problems, but these are merely the same as every society has with immigration.
We now have the huge chance to incorporate these in our culture and thereby give proof, that our model of society is far better than what Mr Bin-Laden wants.
I rather foresee, that under influence of our culture, the islam in Europe will in the future blend into our framework of society and thereby hopefully give an example.

Or to put it short:
Islam is not our problem, our problem is the lack of a policy how to integrate immigrants.
Germany has claimed not to be a country of immigration till the late 1980s, although visible to everyone there were millions of immigrants.
This now has changed, as even the very conservative hardliners had to accept, that there is an immigration in Germany.
Now we have started to formulate ways and methods to integrate these people. This will change in the long run our life and culture. But it always had, so I personally welcome this.
There will be clashes, problems and frictions, but it will work out in a way.

Regards
the germanguy

Forum List

Back