Headline: "I’m Going to War for Israel. Palestinians Are Not My Enemy."

Procrustes Stretched

And you say, "Oh my God, am I here all alone?"
Dec 1, 2008
Positively 4th Street
By Nir Avishai Cohen

(Mr. Cohen, a major in the reserves of the Israel Defense Forces)

In the spiraling out of control emotions raging during times of crisis, and tragedy, it's often difficult to believe or even trust that sanity exists and can be heard. But brave voices are often sparks that light the fires of sanity civility, honor, respect and dignity.

I was in Austin, Texas, for work on Saturday when I received a call from my commander in the Israel Defense Forces to return to Israel and head to the front line. I didn’t hesitate. I knew that the citizens of my country were in real danger. My duty first and foremost is to join the fight against those who unleashed a massacre on my people. I boarded the first flight I found out of Austin to head home to join the I.D.F. reserves, where I serve as a brigade operations command officer.

During my long flight to Israel, my mind couldn’t rest. I was trying to write down my feelings and thoughts about everything happening — and everything that’s about to happen — in my beloved country.

Little by little, the dimensions of the horrors of the most brutal attack that Israelis have experienced since the establishment of the state were being revealed. Hundreds of Hamas terrorists slaughtered more than 1,200 people, including women, children and older people. About 150 citizens and soldiers have been taken captive. There’s nothing in the world that can justify the murder of hundreds of innocent people.

But I’d like to say one thing clearly, before I go to battle: There’s no such thing as “unavoidable.” This war could have been avoided, and no one did enough to prevent it. Israel did not do enough to make peace; we just conquered the Palestinian territories in the West Bank, expanded the illegal settlements and imposed a long-term siege on the Gaza Strip.

Last edited:
Here we are with an image that isn't all hateful emotions run amok

nyt Israeli reservist.png

Of course Palestinians aren't Israel's enemy, they live and work among the Israelis. But if the Palestinians continue to give quarter and support to Hamas and Hezbollah, they will pay dearly for it.

The way I view this is that IDF are not only protecting Israel but also liberating the Gaza people (ironic, since they elected Hamas). The issue will be the long-term peace among them including future prospects. Any such agreement will be more difficult than the war itself.

Last edited:
Of course Palestinians aren't Israel's enemy, they live and work among the Israelis. But if the Palestinians continue to give quarter and support to Hamas and Hezbollah, they will pay dearly for it.

I believe it's much more nuanced. People support an idea. Some the idea of the destruction of Israel, but many the idea of a homeland -- a nation state. Jews supported Irgun. Palestinians support groups very similar to Irgun.

The way I view this is that IDF are not only protecting Israel but also liberating the Gaza people (ironic, since they elected Hamas). The issue will be the long-term peace among them including future prospects. Any such agreement will be more difficult than the war itself.

HAMAS may be decimated, but it will survive. Ask the British about the IRA. Of course other terrorists groups (1960s-1990s), across Europe and Asia faded away, but the Arabs groups did not. Why? Ideas don't die so easily, if at all.

HAMAS may be decimated, but it will survive. Ask the British about the IRA. Of course other terrorists groups (1960s-1990s), across Europe and Asia faded away, but the Arabs groups did not. Why? Ideas don't die so easily, if at all.
This is why they need to have a peace agreement. The rest in the M.E also need to decide. "Do we want to support Iran or do we want to thrive and evolve into a prosperous democracy?"

I believe it's much more nuanced. People support an idea. Some the idea of the destruction of Israel, but many the idea of a homeland -- a nation state. Jews supported Irgun. Palestinians support groups very similar to Irgun.
Irgun was defending future Israel , Jewish homeland, from the Arabs and the British after too man Arab riots and the British cutting down the Jewish immigration to their homeland.

Some Palestinians support a terrorist group which keeps them imprisoned and poor for the sake and the excuse of fighting Israel in order to destroy it.

Israel left in 2005, Hamas won election in 2007 and has been doing nothing but lobbying rockets against any civilians in Israel.

This time, they decided rockets were not enough and went down back to they past of killing and beheading Jews just as Mohammad did.

Irgun was defending future Israel , Jewish homeland, from the Arabs and the British after too man Arab riots and the British cutting down the Jewish immigration to their homeland.

Some Palestinians support a terrorist group which keeps them imprisoned and poor for the sake and the excuse of fighting Israel in order to destroy it.

Israel left in 2005, Hamas won election in 2007 and has been doing nothing but lobbying rockets against any civilians in Israel.

This time, they decided rockets were not enough and went down back to they past of killing and beheading Jews just as Mohammad did.

Is this alternative facts, truth is not truth day at usmb?

You may be the member I've been seeking for a civilized debate, if not a totally honest one.

Is this alternative facts, truth is not truth day at usmb?

You may be the member I've been seeking for a civilized debate, if not a totally honest one.
Not alternative facts but the history of what happened during the Mandate for Palestine, which was to be the rebuilding of the Jewish Nation on their Jewish Homeland.

78% of that Mandate, and it did not happen to any of the other three Mandates after WWI, was given to the foreign clan from Arabia, the Hashemites, which is now called Jordan in 1922. All Jews in TransJordan were attacked and expelled from Transjordan in 1925 and not allowed to live there, just as Mohammad did with the Jews who lived in Medina, in Arabia.

What exactly do you disagree with? I'm seriously interested to know.

He may say the Palestinians in general are not his enemies.

But Hamas was democratically elected by them. Nearly 55% support for this attack.

Those people who spat on Shani Louk's body in the truck after she was raped and broken, they were normal Gaza people. Teenagers.

For me, until The Palestinians actively go against Hamas, they ARE Hamas and ARE my enemy.

Not alternative facts but the history of what happened during the Mandate for Palestine, which was to be the rebuilding of the Jewish Nation on their Jewish Homeland.

78% of that Mandate, and it did not happen to any of the other three Mandates after WWI, was given to the foreign clan from Arabia, the Hashemites, which is now called Jordan.
I've gone over this with people here before. Long ago.

He may say the Palestinians in general are not his enemies.

But Hamas was democratically elected by them. Nearly 55% support for this attack.

Those people who spat on Shani Louk's body in the truck after she was raped and broken, they were normal Gaza people. Teenagers.

For me, until The Palestinians actively go against Hamas, they ARE Hamas and ARE my enemy.
I blame nations for electing leaders, but...

nuance and a few caveats exist.

and teenagers? Please.

Forum List

Back