Have you ever hired a maid to clean your house?

Yes. It's not a cleaning service, just a person we know.

I have a lady that does our house once every week.

My wife and I just do our thing.

We used to go out, we didnt' for a while because my wife hurt her foot in Cancun, MX, and was laid up for a while.

And what do you do while they are there? Do you tip them? How much? Do you tell them where to clean? Do you trust them?

No, I clean my own house.

I built my own house

I paid for my own house.

I paid for my children's education

I grow my own tomatoes.

I bought and paid for my own car

I bought and paid for my own insurance.. and paid the difference.

and I never expected anyone to clean my toilets either.

Ok Annie Oakly.. :razz:

I had a house girl when I lived in the Philippines back in the early 80's. Paid her 20 bucks every week. She lived with us Mon-Friday and did EVERYTHING!

You won't find a maid like that here. If you hire anyone either hire someone by word of mouth of how good they are or by resume'.

Write down exactly what you want them to clean each time they come. General cleaning to include (what)?

Detailed Cleaning and General Cleaning (list them)

Once you have that, then you can get a decent price on how much it will cost.

And what do you do while they are there? Do you tip them? How much? Do you tell them where to clean? Do you trust them?

No, I clean my own house.

I built my own house

I paid for my own house.

I paid for my children's education

I grow my own tomatoes.

I bought and paid for my own car

I bought and paid for my own insurance.. and paid the difference.

and I never expected anyone to clean my toilets either.

I actually enjoy cleaning the bathroom. It might be that it's the smallest room in the house (that just occurred to me) but it's also the most gratifying.

The thing my cleaning lady does that makes it all worthwhile is: She mops the floors, vacuums, and dusts. I never thought that dusting would make such a big difference....but it really does.

I would explain what you want clean, maybe have a list for them. And of course stay home at first, but DON'T stand over them and watch everything they do.

Yep, could not function without 'Mom II'.

I work, she cleans, irons and, if I'm lucky feeds me - and nags me about shit. Hence the 'Mom II' tag.

I don't tip her but I always buy her a birthday present, flowers at Easter, bonus at Christmas... and I get her chocs on Mothers Day.

I'd trust her with my life. She's a friend and I like her... We have a laugh.

We have an Irish girl who cleans our house. She's very thorough and dependable and funny as shit. She's here . . .hmmm, seems like all the time. She's does anything and everything. Cleans toilets, windows, floors, dusts, vacuums, cleans up after the animals (and the dog and cat too), helps the kids with homework, grocery shops, pays the bills, does outside stuff (she was power washing the patio yesterday) and she even cooks for us. Oh, and she's a fantastic baker! She's great with the kids and the dog and cat love her. She got a great tip the other day from the husband. As she was leaving to go to the store he said 'hey, don't trip over the dog laying in the middle of the floor there'. Who could ask for anything more? This family has it 'maid'. :D

Seriously, my mom and dad have two girls - and by girls I mean they're in their late 40's/ early 50's - come in one day/week. They do basic cleaning stuff although my mom refuses to let them clean the toilets/sink in the bathroom. She thinks they won't do it right. :rolleyes: My parents are usually there when the girls are although they trust them and would leave them there alone. My mom usually tries to be doing something along the lines of housework while they are there, although it's very difficult for her. She has R.A. very bad and tires very easily. The girls are there for a few hours (2-3). I've never asked but knowing my parents they likely tip them at Christmas but not on a weekly basis.

we leave.....no tips.....70 a week.....yes they have a very detailed list....yes they were refered to us....if they stole they would be blackballed in the community...they have broken things....

Yup.

Well.. I was a kid, we had quite a few maids..

One of them was Brazilian, other one was from the Philippines.

And they just worked around the house, since my mom and dad were working 24/7..

But not anymore, my mom finally became a Stay Home mom and worked from here to take care of me, my sister and my brother.

But we were living in Spain when we had maids. So this was a long time ago.

Yep, every week. Someone is at the house when they arrive. If we have to go out, we just tell them to lock the door. Tipping is not required, but we usually give them a $5 bill just the same. Trust is all important, which is why we go through a service that is bonded. Still, I'm a safety nut and have surveillance cameras set up everywhere. We've never had anything stolen.

Forum List

Back