Harvard law professor: Twitter cannot violate the First Amendment

pyetro

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2019
A basic lesson about free speech from Laurence Tribe:
To begin with, the First Amendment applies to the government — not to private actors like Twitter. So, when the company adds warnings to tweets or even — going a step further for users other than Trump — removes tweets, it can’t possibly violate the First Amendment, because it simply isn’t a governmental entity. You can love or hate how Twitter is regulating its own private platform — but you can’t call it a First Amendment violation.
[/URL]

To begin with, the First Amendment applies to the government — not to private actors like Twitter. So, when the company adds warnings to tweets or even — going a step further for users other than Trump — removes tweets, it can’t possibly violate the First Amendment, because it simply isn’t a governmental entity. You can love or hate how Twitter is regulating its own private platform — but you can’t call it a First Amendment violation.
[/URL]
its more about free speech than the 1st amendment,, most people dont know the difference,,,

the issue with twiiter is they dont apply their rules equally and base it on political leanings favoring one side over the other,,

[/URL]
Yes, they have the legal right. It just shows what fascists they are.

Twitter and Facebook should be able to block anyone and everyone they desire.

However, it reveals their intolerance of opposing viewpoints to do so.

The problem the Right has now is that through long term complacency, the Left fully controls not only the Social media,
but also all the cellular networks, the Internet networks AND even the Network backbones that fundamentally
make up the Internet.

In other words.....the Right has absolutely ZERO means of communications that it doesn't totally depend on the Left to allow them to have.
If and when the Left desires, it can globally silence the Right with the flip of a few switches and closed accounts.

Ironically, China is slowly manuevering the World to be dependent on it similarly.

Last edited:
[/URL]
USMB can ban me anytime it wants.
You wouldn't be crying "free speech!"

[/URL]
truthfully how would we know???

[/URL]
When have I advocated banning anyone?

[/URL]
Free republic.com banned me once. Fascists!

[/URL]
why??

[/URL]
When have I advocated banning anyone?
When did I say that you advocated banning anyone?

[/URL]
why??
Because I said Republicans are fascists.

they should be required to apply their rules equally across the board,,

I disagree.
You are not required to use Facebook OR Twitter.
It's not their fault that you didn't create or patronize a competing service.
Twitter is only obligated to it's board of directors and shareholders (less so)

But the real problem is MUCH deeper.

The left also owns the entire Internet....all the cellular Networks....and all the Media.

[/URL]
why??
what did their rules say about lying???

[/URL]
why??
I get it. Twitter isn't fascist if you like their explanation. You're very powerful indeed.

I disagree.

You are not required to use facebook OR Twitter.

whats that got to do with equal application of the rules as per their agreement to get their license and protections???

[/URL]
why??
what did their rules say about lying???
Right wingers are being forced to come up with caveats to explain fascism and free speech. It sounded easy at the beginning, didn't it?

I disagree.

You are not required to use facebook OR Twitter.

whats that got to do with equal application of the rules as per their agreement to get their license and protections???

Because they can morph or change their rules or apply them any way they please and I agree with that.

Again, are you being FORCED to use Facebook or Twitter ???

In China you have no choice. You cannot start your own free Social Media Platform in China. In the USA you can (or at least you could)
I don't think you can now.....you've kicked the can too far down the road.
Are you saying you want to be more like China?

[/URL]
A professor should know that free speech applies to the government and not private enterprises

Forum List

Back