Harley-Davidson to move some motorcycle production out of U.S. in big Trump-tariff fail

'President Donald Trump's trade policy is backfiring on Harley-Davidson.
The company is shifting some production of motorcycles for European customers out of the United States to avoid EU retaliatory tariffs.

It's some of the most direct evidence yet that tit-for-tat trade fights between the United States and other countries have consequences for American companies. Harley-Davidson said it stood to lose as much as $100 million a year.

"Increasing international production to alleviate the EU tariff burden is not the company's preference, but represents the only sustainable option," Harley-Davidson said in a regulatory filing on Monday.

The EU began imposing tariffs Friday on $3.2 billion worth of American goods, including motorcycles, orange juice, bourbon, peanut butter, motorboats, cigarettes and denim. They are a response to the Trump administration's tariffs on steel and aluminum imports from Europe.

For motorcycles, the EU raised its 6% tariff to 31%. That will make each bike about $2,200 more expensive to export, Harley said.

Harley is not raising bike prices for customers or retailers.'

Harley-Davidson will move some production out of US after retaliatory tariffs

That sucks. Not sure if I want a Harley that is not built in America.
They are to build motorcycles abroad that are destined to be delivered to customers in Europe. These motorcycles will not be sold in the USA.

If you buy one in the USA, it was made in the USA.

Whereas, before Trump, if you bought a Harley anywhere in the world, it was made in the USA.

The company is shifting some production of motorcycles for European customers out of the United States to avoid EU retaliatory tariffs.

It's some of the most direct evidence yet that tit-for-tat trade fights between the United States and other countries have consequences for American companies. Harley-Davidson said it stood to lose as much as $100 million a year.

"Increasing international production to alleviate the EU tariff burden is not the company's preference, but represents the only sustainable option," Harley-Davidson said in a regulatory filing on Monday.

The EU began imposing tariffs Friday on $3.2 billion worth of American goods, including motorcycles, orange juice, bourbon, peanut butter, motorboats, cigarettes and denim. They are a response to the Trump administration's tariffs on steel and aluminum imports from Europe.

For motorcycles, the EU raised its 6% tariff to 31%. That will make each bike about $2,200 more expensive to export, Harley said.

They are to build motorcycles abroad that are destined to be delivered to customers in Europe. These motorcycles will not be sold in the USA.

Whereas, before Trump, if you bought a Harley anywhere in the world, it was made in the USA.
Doesn't matter anymore. If you buy a foreign badge car made in the USA, you are still sending the profits to a foreign country. The same applies to Harleys.

Doesn't matter anymore. If you buy a foreign badge car made in the USA, you are still sending the profits to a foreign country. The same applies to Harleys.

the bottom line is that Trump's trade war convinced Harley to build in Europe, and American jobs were lost.

This is true. Do we want to be part of the global economy or not? Really, we don't have a choice. We are. If profits have to flow to Tokyo, I do appreciate that some value add does occur in the U.S. in the form of jobs, assembly plants, design, and sub suppliers.

I typically purchase for value (not lowest cost) in items, not where it is made. However, if I buy foreign goods, I do want the ability to sell, and/or produce our goods there without unreasonable hurdles.

Didn't they make this announcement in 2015? What was their excuse then?

There will be some short turn pain, rest assured, the foreign governments will feel the pain alot more, they are the ones with the massive trade surplus against the U.S. It's about time they get a taste of their own medicine.

Trump offered the G7, "no tariffs, no subsidies, no trade barriers" Not one taker, because they are full of shyte about "protectionism", they love exploiting the U.S and protecting their own nation.
Link?

Didn't they make this announcement in 2015? What was their excuse then?

There will be some short turn pain, rest assured, the foreign governments will feel the pain alot more, they are the ones with the massive trade surplus against the U.S. It's about time they get a taste of their own medicine.

Trump offered the G7, "no tariffs, no subsidies, no trade barriers" Not one taker, because they are full of shyte about "protectionism", they love exploiting the U.S and protecting their own nation.
Link?

They've been struggling for years. The excuse about tariffs is pure bs, they just came into effect today or Friday ffs. They are looking for some excuse to move jobs overseas but not upset their Patriotic American buyers.

Born to be mild? Harley-Davidson to cut jobs

Wall Street is no longer high on the HOG.
The iconic motorcycle company Harley-Davidson, which trades under the appropriate ticker symbol of HOG, reported lousy earnings and sales Tuesday.

Harley-Davidson (HOG)said sales of new bikes to dealers were down 1.4% worldwide in the third quarter and 2.5% in the United States. Profits fell too and were below forecasts.

As a result, Harley-Davidson said it was cutting its full-year shipment outlook. And it also said it would be laying off an unspecified number of workers. The stock plunged nearly 14% on the news.

Related: Is this the Tesla of motorcycles?

The big problem? Competition.

"We expect a heightened competitive environment to continue for the foreseeable future, and now is the time for us to dial things up with significant additional investments in marketing and product development," said Harley-Davidson CEO Matt Levatich in a statement.

Harley-Davidson may be the Kleenex or Google of motorcycles for many average consumers -- the first and only name you think of when it comes to the category.

But there are actually many other bike makers that have been giving Harley-Davidson a run for its money lately.

I'm not really looking for a motorcycle, but I saw one on the street and it looked modern.

Not all the ones on their site look modern, but when I think of Harleys, I think of the classic chopper, which they don't seem to make anymore.

the bottom line is that Trump's trade war convinced Harley to build in Europe, and American jobs were lost.
Has Harley shut down any American plants? have they fired any American workers? If you say so, provide links.

Harley hasn't been doing too well lately but it's still a free country and if the once venerable motorcycle company wants to make motorcycles in Taiwan using recycled beer cans that's the risk they take. Personally I like the new Indian bikes.

This is what you get when you elect an ignorant person as President. who thinks he is the greatest businessman of all time & knows more than anyone else. He put of tariffs on steel & aluminum.

Other countries retaliated.

Two stories.

I was sent an order by one of my customers in Mexico. They wanted the same price as I shipped earlier this year. I had to jack up the price by 11% because of Trump's tariffs. Some of the raw materials are just not produced here in this country much anymore. So, will the order still stand at the higher price or will I get beat out by a Canadian or European competitor?

I live not to far from the Harley Davidson plant in York. They just announce they are shifting some manufacturing to an overseas plant to get around the EU's retaliatory tariff on motorcycles. Layoff coming to York. Jobs for the EU.

Trump is such an ass. He put no thought into what would happen. He was warned but nooooooooooooooo no one knows more than Donald Trump. Nooooooooooooooooo.

"Surprised that Harley-Davidson, of all companies, would be the first to wave the White Flag. I fought hard for them and ultimately they will not pay tariffs selling into the E.U., which has hurt us badly on trade, down $151 Billion. Taxes just a Harley excuse - be patient!" - President Trump

We as Americans have to look the Trump evil in the face and reject it before we can reach American greatness once again.

This is what you get when you elect an ignorant person as President. who thinks he is the greatest businessman of all time & knows more than anyone else. He put of tariffs on steel & aluminum.

Two stories.

I was sent an order by one of my customers in Mexico. They wanted the same price as I shipped earlier this year. I had to jack up the price by 11% because of Trump's tariffs. Some of the raw materials are just not produced here in this country much anymore. So, will the order still stand at the higher price or will I get beat out by a Canadian or European competitor?

I live not to far from the Harley Davidson plant in York. They just announce they are shifting some manufacturing to an overseas plant to get around the EU's retaliatory tariff on motorcycles. Layoff coming to York. Jobs for the EU.

Trump is such an ass. He put no thought into what would happen. He was warned but nooooooooooooooo no one knows more than Donald Trump. Nooooooooooooooooo.

Trump is an asshole. The tariff thing is why Gary Cohn, his economic adviser, quit.
Harley Davidson claims the tariffs will cost them $35,000,000 annually if they don't go offshore.

We as Americans have to look the Trump evil in the face and reject it before we can reach American greatness once again.

It's called voting in 2018 and getting the House back.
The Dems need to get their shit together and put out a program and some good candidates for 2020.
It can be done. They got the first black POTUS elected. Something I never thought I'd see in my lifetime.

Two stories.

It's all about his base. The whole photo op thing that Trump did with Harley Davidson last year was to appeal to his redneck base.
He doesn't think before he acts. Everything is impulse and compulsion. He's a fucking sociopath.

Forum List

Back