Happy Columbus Day !!

If you think cultural genocide is something worth celebrating, um, yeah. I guess.

There are still Indians around. There shouldn’t be but there are... so it wasn’t quite genocide.
Also, how many Indian deaths are we blaming Cumbus for? He better have been directly responsible for MILLIONS of deaths if we are going to use the word "genocide".

And you don't think the natives did the same to other tribes?

Slavery was common during that period, especially in Sub-saharan Africa.

These slaves were taken from the Carrebean. With Columbus initiating a slave trade that didn't exist. And using torture, mutilation, disfigurement and murder without trial to control the native people's he'd enslaved.

I assume that these aren't the parts of Columbus' legacy that we celebrate on Columbus day.

Stop applying modern morals to past time periods with the intent to make it somehow seem aberrant for the time period.

Cutting out a woman's tongue for insulting him? Disfiguring a man by cutting off his ears and nose for stealing an ear of corn? These were not typical actions of the era.

His actions were so brutal and eggregious that even by the standards of his day it was enough to get him stripped of his governorship and shipped back to Spain in chains. With Queen Isabella being disgusted by the slaves he brought brought back with him.

The natives had their own customs of slavery and warfare and conquest. Again you apply modern morals to only one side for some reason.

What is the 'morality' of slavery, torture, mutilation and execution without trial?

Explain it to us.

Meaningless question.

But as for examples, during this time period after some European battles, the surrendered troops that were not worth ransoming were often slaughtered.

So there is your "execution without trial"

These weren't troops. These were civiilians. Murdered, disfigured, mutilated, and tortured. Some for infractions as trivial as stealing an ear of corn or saying something insulting about Columbus.

Explain the 'morality' of those actions.

So serfs at the time (or a hundred years before) weren't treated just as badly?

ask them how they fared when the armies marched through the various german states during the hundred years war, the 30 years war, and all those succession wars.

People were assholes back then. Considering what they would think of us we would probably all be on spits roasting for witchcraft.

And you keep dodging the fact that the natives did crap like that to each other as well.

Life sucked back then. My life today is probably 100 times better than even the life of a king back then.

These slaves were taken from the Carrebean. With Columbus initiating a slave trade that didn't exist. And using torture, mutilation, disfigurement and murder without trial to control the native people's he'd enslaved.

I assume that these aren't the parts of Columbus' legacy that we celebrate on Columbus day.

Cutting out a woman's tongue for insulting him? Disfiguring a man by cutting off his ears and nose for stealing an ear of corn? These were not typical actions of the era.

His actions were so brutal and eggregious that even by the standards of his day it was enough to get him stripped of his governorship and shipped back to Spain in chains. With Queen Isabella being disgusted by the slaves he brought brought back with him.

The natives had their own customs of slavery and warfare and conquest. Again you apply modern morals to only one side for some reason.

What is the 'morality' of slavery, torture, mutilation and execution without trial?

Explain it to us.

Meaningless question.

But as for examples, during this time period after some European battles, the surrendered troops that were not worth ransoming were often slaughtered.

So there is your "execution without trial"

These weren't troops. These were civiilians. Murdered, disfigured, mutilated, and tortured. Some for infractions as trivial as stealing an ear of corn or saying something insulting about Columbus.

Explain the 'morality' of those actions.

So serfs at the time (or a hundred years before) weren't treated just as badly?

Columbus' brutality was so eggregious, so petty and viscious....that he was removed from his governorship and shipped back to Spain in chains. Isabella was disgusted by the slaves he had captured and taken to Spain.

Even the era Columbus lived in, he was a sadistic tyrant who murdered, tortured, enslaved, and mutilated....often over trivial offenses.

Explain the moralty of those actions.

And you don't think the natives did the same to other tribes?

Slavery was common during that period, especially in Sub-saharan Africa.

Stop applying modern morals to past time periods with the intent to make it somehow seem aberrant for the time period.

Explain it to us.
That’s easy. Conquest for the benefit of ones own people.

So its moral to mutilate, torture and execute civilians without trial if it 'benefits one's own people'?

If so, um....wow.
What’s “morality” got to do with it? If anything; the morality needs to be viewed through the lens of “does this benefit my people”?

Explain it to us.

So its moral to mutilate, torture and execute civilians without trial if it 'benefits one's own people'?

If so, um....wow.
What’s “morality” got to do with it? If anything; the morality needs to be viewed through the lens of “does this benefit my people”?

What does morality have to do with a discussion of morality? You may want to take a look at the conversation you jumped into the middle of.

Explain it to us.

If so, um....wow.

What does morality have to do with a discussion of morality? You may want to take a look at the conversation you jumped into the middle of.
Conquest. What does morality have to do with conquest?
You’re the one who wants to make it about morality. Not me. And certainly not Columbus; which is what the OP titled.

Last edited:

Explain it to us.

If so, um....wow.

I'm having a conversation about the morality of Columbus' murder, torture, rape, mutilation and trial free executions.

Join or don't.

If so, um....wow.

I'm having a conversation about the morality of Columbus' murder, torture, rape, mutilation and trial free executions.

Join or don't.
I’ve already joined, and don’t require your acceptance to do so. You’re trying to make it an issue of morality, when it was actually an issue of conquest. Figure the difference out.

If so, um....wow.

Join or don't.
I’ve already joined, and don’t require your acceptance to do so. You’re trying to make it an issue of morality, when it was actually an issue of conquest. Figure the difference out.

When you ignore the premise of the discussion, you're talking to yourself.

Enjoy.

Join or don't.

When you ignore the premise of the discussion, you're talking to yourself.

Enjoy.
The discussion is about Colombous. You’re whining about his morality. He didn’t set out on a mission of morality. You’re ignoring the premise one of Columbus’s misssion, once he found new lands.

Forum List

Back