Happy 50th, Buffalo Style Chicken Wings

norwegen

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2013
Ormond Beach, FL
Two days belated, but still worth the praise.

AR-140309197.jpg&maxW=602&maxH=602&AlignV=top&Q=80

It wasn't just football that made Super Bowl parties popular.

:thewave:

:beer:

Read about it here!

Last edited:
Yup, whenever I think of Buffalo New York, I immediately think of Buffalo Wings.

Inside, all-you-can-eat wings, pepperoni pizza and beef on weck – a veritable no-man’s land for vegetarians – beckoned at a restricted party to celebrate the occasion. About 50 people enjoyed the food – invitees came and went
Wish I could have been there to enjoy the festivities, and the all-you-can-eat wings of course.

Didn't the term "Buffalo" wings originally mean "the hottest" wings. It certainly doesn't mean that any more.

I think it's an example of corporate America bastardizing the term because the word is catchy or sounds good, like "chipotle," which is medium to hot pepper but is so bland in corporate restaurants today. Other examples of companies using catchy words (but not necessarily bastardizations) are "Asiago" cheese, a very bland cheese but sure sounds cool, and "aioli," which sounds better than "mayonnaise."

I think I've been to the Anchor Bar in Buffalo. IIRC, there was a sign in the bar saying that they had no legal liability if the wings they served you were too hot. I tried the second hottest wings but was too chicken to try the hottest. And did I ever pay the price!

Last edited:
I was at the Anchor Bar in Buffalo back in 2007 and of course made the pilgrimage. The wings were first rate but one of the owners or his/her son was an obnoxious asshole. He first sat at the door making fun if the people who were entering the restaurant. He looked at me and snarled; "What are you, a Jew? I look nothing like a Jew.

Anyway, I like my wings unbreaded, fried, medium hot sauce. Blue cheese and celery, no ranch dressing ever. The only breaded wings I'll eat are from Hooter's.

You can't bread a Buffalo Wing......you need the sauce dripping off the wing

I was at the Anchor Bar in Buffalo back in 2007 and of course made the pilgrimage. The wings were first rate but one of the owners or his/her son was an obnoxious asshole. He first sat at the door making fun if the people who were entering the restaurant. He looked at me and snarled; "What are you, a Jew? I look nothing like a Jew.

Anyway, I like my wings unbreaded, fried, medium hot sauce. Blue cheese and celery, no ranch dressing ever. The only breaded wings I'll eat are from Hooter's.
Yeah, I enjoy Hooter's wings as well. They are pretty descent sized wings and breaded with hot sauce really hit the spot. Good thing they have unlimited paper towels at the table, it sure is a messy meal.

I hate buffalo wings..

Here's why...

Wings USED TO BE THE CHEAPEST PART OF THE CHICKEN!! Back when I was a kid we use eat them A LOT cause we were poor and they were delicious when grilled with garlic. As kids we called them Robin Hood style wing (not sure why)

Now thanks to the popularity of Buffalo wings, they are usually the most expensive cut of chicken.

As a consequence I seldom eat wings anymore.

As to Buffalo Wings?

Speaking as a former BARTENDER in BUFFALO ...meh, some of them are okay.

I hate buffalo wings..

Here's why...

Wings USED TO BE THE CHEAPEST PART OF THE CHICKEN!! Back when I was a kid we use eat them A LOT cause we were poor and they were delicious when grilled with garlic. As kids we called them Robin Hood style wing (not sure why)

Now thanks to the popularity of Buffalo wings, they are usually the most expensive cut of chicken.

As a consequence I seldom eat wings anymore.

As to Buffalo Wings?

Speaking as a former BARTENDER in BUFFALO ...meh, some of them are okay.
But don't you find chicken wings sexy? Wouldn't you pay a little extra for that?

I hate buffalo wings..

More for MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!

I love very hot buffalo wings. One of our favorite local restaurants does them perfectly (and yes, never never bread buffalo wings). The skin should be crispy, and mo sauce is mo bettah.

I hate buffalo wings..

More for MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!

I love very hot buffalo wings. One of our favorite local restaurants does them perfectly (and yes, never never bread buffalo wings). The skin should be crispy, and mo sauce is mo bettah.
When I order wings, I order the hottest variety on the menu (suicide or angry buffalo). My eyes should be be sweating and I should have a whole new set of taste buds the next day.

If you want a breaded wing....go to McDonalds

To me, there is only one variety.

:)

Forum List

Back