Claudette

Diamond Member
Reaction score

WinterBorn

Diamond Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Remembering Hank Aaron, one of the greatest MLB players ever - YouTube

Hank Aaron was one of the all-time greats of baseball. He came from the lowest of the low and never looked back. He was 13 when Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier in MLB.

He is remembered for his home run hitting. But he was much more. His batting average was excellent. And he was a great outfielder. He worked hard to play his best.

I remember watching him on tv when he broke Babe Ruth's homerun record.

Godspeed, Hank. And thanks.

EvilEyeFleegle

Platinum Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Hank Aaron was one of the all-time greats of baseball. He came from the lowest of the low and never looked back. He was 13 when Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier in MLB.

He is remembered for his home run hitting. But he was much more. His batting average was excellent. And he was a great outfielder. He worked hard to play his best.

He did all that he did without steroids..without modern training methods..and constantly against the headwinds of racism.

R.I.P.

WinterBorn

Diamond Member
Staff member
Reaction score

He did all that he did without steroids..without modern training methods..and constantly against the headwinds of racism.

R.I.P.
Exactly!!

beautress

Always Faithful
Reaction score
RIP, Hank Aaron. Thanks for living a disciplined life that inspired many youths to excel in sports by your hard work as a reason for them to go for it.

bear513

Diamond Member
Reaction score

R.I.P.
Why is everything racist with you?

R.I.P.

EvilEyeFleegle

Platinum Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

R.I.P.

R.I.P.
Why do you resist every mention of it?

In Hank Aaron's story..coming into the league in the early days of desegregation--rascism is part of the story..a prominent part..sorry for your distaste for honest history.

WinterBorn

Diamond Member
Staff member
Reaction score

R.I.P.

R.I.P.
Racism played a huge part in Hank Aaron's life and career. He openly spoke about being a kid in Mobile AL when the KKK would march through his neighborhood and his mother would tell him to go hide under the bed. He started out in the Negro League. And even in 1974 when he broke Babe Ruth's record he has been receiving death threats and hate mail for several years.

WinterBorn

Diamond Member
Staff member
Reaction score

Papageorgio

The Ultimate Winner
Reaction score
I had the privilege of meeting Hank Aaron and also had him autograph a baseball. He was a class act and humble.

Those are the athletes we miss. Hat's off to Hammer'in Hank.

rightwinger

Award Winning USMB Paid Messageboard Poster
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

R.I.P.

R.I.P.
He did face more than his share of racism
Including death threats

iamwhatiseem

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Wow... I didn't know he was still alive!
I remember watching him as a kid...one of my baseball favorites way back.
Sad thing is, I had several of his baseball cards... :confused:

Eric Arthur Blair

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Now, he was a real ball player and true legend. He was before the time when everyone drugged themselves up on steroids.
Mays got all the press. Henry Aaron never played in New York but he was Mays' equal in every way
PLUS Aaron had a longer more productive career overall.

All the heroes are dying off.

New Topics

Most reactions - Past 7 days

Forum List