Handgun

I carry a 1911 because it feels the most comfortable in my hand and I have full confidence that just 1 well placed torso hit on a bad guy will put him down.

Whereas, today's LEO seem to have to almost empty their 9mm before the criminal hits the ground. ..... :cool:

Okay, so it's that time of the year when my Uncle Sam buys me a gun.

Wanting a handgun as I only have my .380
Already got enough rifles and shotguns (for now)

Will probably give the wife my .380

Thinking maybe 1911?

Suggestions? Comments?
What do ya'll carry?
Just looking personal protection stuff. No .50cal bear-hunting thing.
9mm seems overused
Thought you already owned a 1911...

In any event, agreed, if you buy a 1911, buy a Colt. I have two that have been flawless.

I carry an M&P 40 Shield, I'm a big fan of .40 S&W, I consider it an excellent self-defense round, and can recommend both.
My Marine son has a 1911. That may be what you recall.
Good friend got a .40 recently with all the bells and whistles (tactical scope, etc,,,) I think his is a S&W too. Real nice shooting gun.
I've always preferred black/matte finish, but that stainless finish really piques my interest......just like function over flash
Not sure what Uncle Sam's budget is for you, but the most affordable stainless Colt would be a model O1091, an example of which I own; again, it's been flawless.

Thinking maybe 1911?

Suggestions? Comments?
What do ya'll carry?
9mm seems overused

In any event, agreed, if you buy a 1911, buy a Colt. I have two that have been flawless.

I carry an M&P 40 Shield, I'm a big fan of .40 S&W, I consider it an excellent self-defense round, and can recommend both.
Good friend got a .40 recently with all the bells and whistles (tactical scope, etc,,,) I think his is a S&W too. Real nice shooting gun.
I've always preferred black/matte finish, but that stainless finish really piques my interest......just like function over flash
SS is not for flash, it is for rust protection.

Thinking maybe 1911?

Suggestions? Comments?
What do ya'll carry?
9mm seems overused

Not sure what Uncle Sam's budget is for you, but the most affordable stainless Colt would be a model O1091, an example of which I own; again, it's been flawless.
Glad you mentioned budget......wow

Just browsed through some prices.
1911 is out of the question.

Any other suggestions?

A modification that I recommend is an ambidextrous safety. ...... :cool:

Good advice, and if you're a civilian, DON'T chamber a round until you need to chamber a round. It takes a nanosecond. Almost all the gun accidents we read about are because some dumbass carries a pistol with a loaded chamber so their 2 year-old can shoot mommy. DON'T do that! And always use your safety.

Unless you don't have kids.....and keep in mind, safety for the kids on a daily basis comes first so don't chamber a round...just in case...but for adults, chamber the round.....the moment of the draw is an eternity where murphy's law will hit you full force when you are under attack......just make sure you keep the trigger covered in the holster and keep your finger off the trigger when pulling the weapon or holstering the weapon....

Thinking maybe 1911?

Suggestions? Comments?
What do ya'll carry?
9mm seems overused

Any other suggestions?

I had a budget when I was looking for my 1911. I bought a Springfield MilSpec model for $499. I have since had better sights installed, added a Wilson Combat trigger, Wilson Combat spring kit, Crimson Trace grips (I had added Hogue grips until I had the $$), a Wilson Combat ultra light hammer, and now I have a sweet custom piece that I'll bet my life on.

Don't buy the high end. Build it.

Thinking maybe 1911?

Suggestions? Comments?
What do ya'll carry?
9mm seems overused

Any other suggestions?
The Rock Island 1911s made in the Philippines by Armscor have always enjoyed a good reputation, their GI model sells for about $400.

As already noted the Springfield Armory 1911 GI and Mil-spec models made in Brazil can be customized for an attractive price, which of course applies to any 1911.

Any preference as to steel frame or polymer, semi-auto or revolver? Self-defense, target shooting, general purpose?

Thinking maybe 1911?

Suggestions? Comments?
What do ya'll carry?
9mm seems overused

Any other suggestions?
The Rock Island 1911s made in the Philippines by Armscor have always enjoyed a good reputation, their GI model sells for about $400.

As already noted the Springfield Armory 1911 GI and Mil-spec models made in Brazil can be customized for an attractive price, which of course applies to any 1911.

Any preference as to steel frame or polymer, semi-auto or revolver? Self-defense, target shooting, general purpose?
4-500 I can do. Those Colt prices were crazy.
Personal protection and GP.
Only ever had steel but hear good things about poly.

Thinking maybe 1911?

Suggestions? Comments?
What do ya'll carry?
9mm seems overused

Any other suggestions?
If price is the object, I'd search for a good, used, S&W in .38 Special, or, in .357 Mag.

Average gunfight is said to last three seconds, at three feet, and involve three shot.

That gives you two good gunfights, ample knockdown, and saves big bucks for practice ammo.

Any other suggestions?

Buying Colt is buying name.

Check out Para-ordnance, good old Charlotte NC firm.

They even make a double stack 1911, if you want more bullets in the gun.

Thinking maybe 1911?

Suggestions? Comments?
What do ya'll carry?
9mm seems overused

Any other suggestions?
If price is the object, I'd search for a good, used, S&W in .38 Special, or, in .357 Mag.

Average gunfight is said to last three seconds, at three feet, and involve three shot.

That gives you two good gunfights, ample knockdown, and saves big bucks for practice ammo.
A good old fashioned 357 revolver crossed my mind.
Like ya say, I won't need more than six shots and it's more than enough to drop somebody

Any other suggestions?

A good old fashioned 357 revolver crossed my mind.
Like ya say, I won't need more than six shots and it's more than enough to drop somebody

I like a revolver for woods carry.

I load two snake shots, four JHP.

Any other suggestions?

Buying Colt is buying name.

Check out Para-ordnance, good old Charlotte NC firm.

They even make a double stack 1911, if you want more bullets in the gun.

Indeed. And the pony on the grip does not mean a better firearm. Springfield Armory makes a top notch gun.

Thinking maybe 1911?

Suggestions? Comments?
What do ya'll carry?
9mm seems overused

Any other suggestions?

For defensive purposes it is hard to beat a double action revolver. And .357 gives you plenty of punch, plus the ability to burn up cheaper .38 Special rounds. Just remember to always shoot what you carry too. I like to do that at the end of my range time.

A double action revolver can be carried safely and put into action as quick or quicker than any other handgun. Plus, if there is a misfire, you pull the trigger again. Using factory ammo, a jam is virtually unheard of in a decent gun.

I also like a revolver because you can use specialty ammo. I have my girlfriends revolvers loaded so the first round is a .38 shotshell, and then 5 .357 magnum defensive rounds. The first shot will probably not kill, but will give you time to aim better without them shooting back.

Forum List

Back