Half of US guns are owned by 3% of the public

And here we have some ideas on why this study is crap....

Problems with the new Harvard-Northeastern Gun Survey - Crime Prevention Research Center

The new Harvard-Northeastern survey is very disappointing. There are two points to this survey.

That the percentage of the population owning guns is falling and that a very small percent of the population is buying a huge number of guns. The new book The War on Guns has a chapter showing that both of these points are inaccurate.

— If one looks at all the surveys on the question of changes in gun ownership, most surveys show that gun ownership rates have been constant over time (some evidence shows that gun ownership has been increasing). A brief discussion of some of the material in the new book is provided here.

— But there is a general problem with survey data. Hard data, such a the number of permits that are required before someone can own a gun in some states such as Illinois, show a dramatic increase in gun ownership at the same time that these surveys for those states are showing a drop in gun ownership. The likely reason that all these surveys on gun ownership are biased against showing an increase is because gun owners have been relatively less willing over time to tell pollsters that they own guns.

This hard data indicates such a large increase in gun owners relative to the polls that it makes it mathematically impossible for the claim to be true that gun sales are being driven by a small group of gun owners.

Yeah an on line survey of people stupid enough to opt in to a junk mail survey mailing list

And you think it's accurate?

I wouldn't be surprised if the survey was in fact accurate. Especially with all the goofball gun nuts they have around these days.

Even years before everybody went gun crazy I kept a few guns around. A shotgun for bird season. A high powered rifle for big game. A 22 rifle for target shooting, and a hand gun I strapped on while bird hunting.
I guess you could say that every gun I owned back than had a purpose. And that purpose was for hunting. Not killing people.

OK

So you were one gun owner with 4 guns

Meets the profile of the OP

I thought profiling was bad?

Gun inequality: US study charts rise of hardcore super owners

Americans own an estimated 265m guns, more than one gun for every American adult, according to the most definitive portrait of US gun ownership in two decades. But the new survey estimates that 133m of these guns are concentrated in the hands of just 3% of American adults – a group of super-owners who have amassed an average of 17 guns each.

These are the gun owners who horde guns and ammunition to feel "safe"
And your point is ?

Then why are gun background checks setting new records? BS article and OP

Americans are buying guns in record numbers. And if history is any guide, Sunday's mass shooting in Orlando will spur even more firearm sales.

According to FBI data, 2016 is on pace to set the record for the most firearm background checks in a year.

The FBI conducts a check for every gun purchase made through a federally licensed dealer, so background checks are considered a close proxy for gun sales. Not all guns are sold by federally licensed dealers, and a single background check can represent the purchase of multiple guns.

About 23.1 million checks were conducted in 2015 -- the highest ever recorded since the current system for background checks was started in 1998. This year, 11.7 million checks have been conducted through May 31, compared to 8.9 million over the same period last year.

FBI gun background checks headed for another record year

And the fundemental tenet of the anti gunners is a lie.....more guns does not equal more crime...

200 million guns in private hands in the 1990s......357 million guns in 2016....and the gun murder rate went down 49%.

if that 3% study wanted to show anything, that would have been that the 3% were committing more crime with guns. Without that, all it says is some folks are collecting guns, and so what?

Yeah an on line survey of people stupid enough to opt in to a junk mail survey mailing list

I wouldn't be surprised if the survey was in fact accurate. Especially with all the goofball gun nuts they have around these days.

Even years before everybody went gun crazy I kept a few guns around. A shotgun for bird season. A high powered rifle for big game. A 22 rifle for target shooting, and a hand gun I strapped on while bird hunting.
I guess you could say that every gun I owned back than had a purpose. And that purpose was for hunting. Not killing people.
I guess you could say that my weapons are like a master card.
I bought a .44 magnum pistol $450 back in 2008 today over $600.
I bought a .223 hunting rifle back in 2012 $1,000, today over $1,400.
Never been fired, but if I do have to fire it, it will be against an intruder, PRICELESS.

From a leftwing site with opinions like these:

Comment, opinion and discussion from the Guardian US | The Guardian

Dismissed.

"The new survey, conducted in 2015 by public health researchers from Harvard and Northeastern universities"

Sorry........not true......it has not been peer reviewed.......they are simply responding to the Pew research.......you know....an actual research organization....

Simple question

How many guns do you own?
Did your mommy deny you when you were a kid to own a plastic gun to play with? Was it to dangerous so she dressed you up like FDR? Liberals love to fuck with the minds of their children so when they grow up, they are pansies.

thLV0RZHW9.jpg

While there are an estimated 55 million American gun owners, most own an average of just three firearms, and nearly half own just one or two, according to the survey results.

Then there are America’s gun super-owners – an estimated 7.7 million Americans who own between eight and 140 guns.

You do realize that guns have different purposes right?

They do?

So I guess that supports the claim of multiple guns with fewer owners

And here we have some ideas on why this study is crap....

Problems with the new Harvard-Northeastern Gun Survey - Crime Prevention Research Center

The new Harvard-Northeastern survey is very disappointing. There are two points to this survey.

That the percentage of the population owning guns is falling and that a very small percent of the population is buying a huge number of guns. The new book The War on Guns has a chapter showing that both of these points are inaccurate.

— If one looks at all the surveys on the question of changes in gun ownership, most surveys show that gun ownership rates have been constant over time (some evidence shows that gun ownership has been increasing). A brief discussion of some of the material in the new book is provided here.

— But there is a general problem with survey data. Hard data, such a the number of permits that are required before someone can own a gun in some states such as Illinois, show a dramatic increase in gun ownership at the same time that these surveys for those states are showing a drop in gun ownership. The likely reason that all these surveys on gun ownership are biased against showing an increase is because gun owners have been relatively less willing over time to tell pollsters that they own guns.

This hard data indicates such a large increase in gun owners relative to the polls that it makes it mathematically impossible for the claim to be true that gun sales are being driven by a small group of gun owners.

Dismissed.

"The new survey, conducted in 2015 by public health researchers from Harvard and Northeastern universities"

Sorry........not true......it has not been peer reviewed.......they are simply responding to the Pew research.......you know....an actual research organization....

Simple question

Did your mommy deny you when you were a kid to own a plastic gun to play with? Was it to dangerous so she dressed you up like FDR? Liberals love to fuck with the minds of their children so when they grow up, they are pansies.

View attachment 90496

FDR was a pansy?

Do pansies develop an atomic bomb?

While there are an estimated 55 million American gun owners, most own an average of just three firearms, and nearly half own just one or two, according to the survey results.

Then there are America’s gun super-owners – an estimated 7.7 million Americans who own between eight and 140 guns.

They do?

So what?
You're trying to make it sound like the only reason anyone would own multiple firearms is because they're a gun nut.
Your whole premise is false from the get go.

They do?

So what?
You're trying to make it sound like the only reason anyone would own multiple firearms is because they're a gun nut.

but so what if someone collects guns? are they criminals? do they commit more crime?

Never been fired, but if I do have to fire it, it will be against an intruder, PRICELESS.

So you hope to kill somebody someday! There's nothing priceless about that.

On a much lighter note. I bought a Taurus 45 auto to replace my colt 45 auto that had come to the end of its useful life back in the early 90's, and later sold it after 9/11 for more than twice what I paid for it. As far as I know, that was the only gun I sold for more money than what I paid for it. The rest, I lost money on.

Dismissed.

Simple question

View attachment 90496

FDR was a pansy?

Do you know how many guns were made and given to Americans back when FDR allowed Pearl Harbor to happen? Why is it okay for a liberal to give out guns, yet a law abiding citizen needs to be limited? Truman dropped the bomb anyway, not FDR.

On a much lighter note. I bought a Taurus 45 auto to replace my colt 45 auto that had come to the end of its useful life back in the early 90's, and later sold it after 9/11 for more than twice what I paid for it. As far as I know, that was the only gun I sold for more money than what I paid for it. The rest, I lost money on.
I said that I have never fired those weapons, why should I? I mean after 7 3/4 years of Hope and Change, everyone is out there in the US living their lives in PEACE and HARMONY. Of course there are some bad guys out there, that if they do break into my house, then all bets are off, and I will not hesitate to give them a gift of 50 cents. Pretty dark of you , to even suggest that someone intentionally wants to kill someone, like that poor DNC operative who spilled the beans to Wiki Leaks.

Simple question

View attachment 90496

FDR was a pansy?

Do you know how many guns were made and given to Americans back when FDR allowed Pearl Harbor to happen? Why is it okay for a liberal to give out guns, yet a law abiding citizen needs to be limited? Truman dropped the bomb anyway, not FDR.

FDR was more than desperate to march American soldiers to their deaths in large numbers. By the millions, if necessary. The only thing holding him back was the American people. They wanted nothing to do with it. And rightly so.

I said that I have never fired those weapons, why should I? I mean after 7 3/4 years of Hope and Change, everyone is out there in the US living their lives in PEACE and HARMONY. Of course there are some bad guys out there, that if they do break into my house, then all bets are off, and I will not hesitate to give them a gift of 50 cents. Pretty dark of you , to even suggest that someone intentionally wants to kill someone, like that poor DNC operative who spilled the beans to Wiki Leaks.
The only darkness on this board, is coming from you

They do?

So what?

but so what if someone collects guns? are they criminals? do they commit more crime?

Nah...it's the hood rats that own one Highpoint 9mm piece of crap that do all the killing.

And the fundemental tenet of the anti gunners is a lie.....more guns does not equal more crime...

200 million guns in private hands in the 1990s......357 million guns in 2016....and the gun murder rate went down 49%.

There are many well known exceptions to your claim.

No.....those are the facts....200 million in the 1990s.....357 million in 2016...and the gun murder rate went down 49% and the violent crime rate also went down, in general.....fact.

Dismissed.

Simple question

I am not telling you the same way I will not tell my Doctor or an anonymous phone caller.....that is why this research is fundamentally flawed.....

Forum List

Back