Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 21, 2020
Phoenix, AZ
Sorry I dont know anything about Medcine or Biology

I had an MRI on my lower right lumber Back

They say I have encroachment on the nerve from the Lumbar 4 and 5 bones

all I know is IT SUCKS and I am in extreme pain

Do they have any quick surgery that can fix this and get me back to my Wrestling class

I am seeing the orhtopedic doctor early next WEeek

Thanks
Has medcine even advanced to fix Bone on my NERVe.

Do they have any quick surgery that can fix this and get me back to my Wrestling class

Thanks
First thing, your wrestling career is over. I think you said you are around 45. It is time

Thanks
I have the same issue, i am seeing the doctor to go over the Cat Scan to see if L5 to L3 need to be decompressed with a plate attached to those 3 bones. It is going to be hell, but i should be able to walk again with out pain going down my leg.

I have the same issue, i am seeing the doctor to go over the Cat Scan to see if L5 to L3 need to be decompressed with a plate attached to those 3 bones. It is going to be hell, but i should be able to walk again with out pain going down my leg.
What does decompressed mean?

This entire thing is too technical for me

I feel your pain. I have had severe pain in my back. I have degenerative disc disease. I will be getting shots. My weightlifting days are over. It was a terrible blow. I am in too much pain to even go to the gym right now but I can only use the machines.

First thing, your wrestling career is over. I think you said you are around 45. It is time
ITs not a career just a hobby. YEs I am mid 40s and old. I know I am old.

The radiology report was not given to me.
They told me its an encroachment on the nerve

I hope I see the real Doctor and not the PA

They don't like doing surgery on backs and necks near the spinal cord. IMO normal procedure is to have the patient go to rehab. If that doesn't work then they try cortisone shots and/or pain medication. As a last resort they do surgery.

They don't like doing surgery on backs and necks near the spinal cord. IMO normal procedure is to have the patient go to rehab. If that doesn't work then they try cortisone shots and/or pain medication. As a last resort they do surgery.
I dont know the exact area
Its in my lumbar back

will the ablasion help
this whole thing sucks

Are you certain the doc said the bone was the problem? I was an MRI tech for about 15 years and in nearly every case it was a bulging or herniated disc that causes the pain. If the disc is merely impinging on a nerve root, there are laser procedures that can be done to fix that these days. I'd investigate that with your Ortho guy. Just remember that the Ortho makes his living CUTTING and fixing problems with his skill as a surgeon. That COULD be your only option but I'd make sure before going down that road. If you can get someone to try laser intervention first, you haven't done as much permanent change to the architecture as will happen with orthopedic surgery. They can also often be done as an outpatient.

I'd had 2 lumbar spine surgeries. They are called "Laminectomies" and are designed to remove some of the bone from your lumbar vertebra to ease the impingement. The other type of major ortho surgery for lumbar issues is lumbar fusion and that's a LOT more involved and should be avoided unless you have no other option. They resort to that if your disc material has actually blown out (herniated) and they have to keep the vertebra from settling down onto the vertebra below it. If you've had a herniation, you will KNOW IT. The pain is excruciating. Like, 10 out of 10 on the scale. I had it and will never forget it.

Good luck with it, relief IS possible but do your homework and don't rush into anything.

Are you certain the doc said the bone was the problem? I was an MRI tech for about 15 years and in nearly every case it was a bulging or herniated disc that causes the pain. If the disc is merely impinging on a nerve root, there are laser procedures that can be done to fix that these days. I'd investigate that with your Ortho guy. Just remember that the Ortho makes his living CUTTING and fixing problems with his skill as a surgeon. That COULD be your only option but I'd make sure before going down that road. If you can get someone to try laser intervention first, you haven't done as much permanent change to the architecture as will happen with orthopedic surgery. They can also often be done as an outpatient.

I'd had 2 lumbar spine surgeries. They are called "Laminectomies" and are designed to remove some of the bone from your lumbar vertebra to ease the impingement. The other type of major ortho surgery for lumbar issues is lumbar fusion and that's a LOT more involved and should be avoided unless you have no other option. They resort to that if your disc material has actually blown out (herniated) and they have to keep the vertebra from settling down onto the vertebra below it. If you've had a herniation, you will KNOW IT. The pain is excruciating. Like, 10 out of 10 on the scale. I had it and will never forget it.

Good luck with it, relief IS possible but do your homework and don't rush into anything.
Well.. My DAD called the Tech to see what is up.
My DAD told me this

Yeah I know its super embarassing having my dad call when I am 46

Well.. My DAD called the Tech to see what is up.
My DAD told me this

Yeah I know its super embarassing having my dad call when I am 46
Hey man... whatever it takes. That kind of pain takes away quality of life and the time wasted doing nothing can never be regained.

What about the RFA ???

Hey man... whatever it takes. That kind of pain takes away quality of life and the time wasted doing nothing can never be regained.

My dad called the radilogist and they gave him the full report.
My dad is going to give it to his Orthopedic Friend in Arizona to look at

I juyst

Would a Buldging or Herniated Disk cause nerve tingling pain. I dont have that

Ok
I have nerve encroachment

Encroachment on exiting left L4 nerve root

Encroachment on bilateral descending L5 nerve root

Actually it depends on what is going on with the bone, whether you can have surgery to correct it or not. If it's arthritis, then probably nothing can be done other than a Chiropractor or physical therapy to learn stretches and exercises to help with the pain, or risk an addiction to pain killers.

Thanks

We hope you feel better soon, Q.

Forum List

Back