Gun Range Day - 11/5/19

JGalt

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2011
Beautiful day for a trip to the public range: Sunny and a high of 33 degrees today. I found a good deal on 500-round bricks of Aguila .22 Super Extra ammo at $25 per brick, so I bought 5 of them. It has a 40 grain solid point bullet that's rated at 1,255 feet per second, and is made in Mexico. It's probably the best thing Mexico produces, and is supposed to be pretty accurate. Well let's see if it is.

Here we are set up at the range. I'm shooting a scoped 1951 Marlin Model 60 bolt-action .22 rifle. It takes a magazine that holds 7 rounds and is pretty much a tack-driver...

range%20day%2011-5-19_1.jpg

Here's a view downrange: I'll be shooting the 25 yards targets first, then 50 yards, then 100 yards. I've set up a chronograph to see if the velocity comes close to the advertised 1,255 fps.

range%20day%2011-5-19_2.jpg

It's sunny here, but the temperature is only supposed to reach 34 degrees. I put an Aladdin kerosene heater under the bench to keep my pecker warm.

range%20day%2011-5-19_3.jpg

Picture of Aguila ammo. What a deal.

range%20day%2011-5-19_4.jpg

Here's the chronograph. it's a "Shooting Chrony" which is made in Canada. These are fairly cheap, running at about a hundred bucks new. I found this one at a garage sale for 10 dollars. They're pretty accurate, even after being shot a couple times, which I've accidentally done.

range%20day%2011-5-19_5.jpg

range%20day%2011-5-19_6.jpg

This is what I got at 25 yards. Not too bad. That's two seven-round magazines in one ragged hole.

range%20day%2011-5-19_7.jpg

50 yards. Still not too shabby. One 7-round magazine.

range%20day%2011-5-19_8.jpg

100 yards was a bit harder. The target was difficult to see through the cheap variable Tasco scope I have on that rifle. A better scope would tighten up the groups. The two holes at 12 o'clock and 2 o'clock were already there, as the target was one that somebody left hanging. The black circle measures 6" in diameter. The average velocity coming out of the 22-inch barrel on the Marlin was 1184 fps.

range%20day%2011-5-19_9.jpg

Just for shits and giggles, I also brought that 1924 Spanish-made Eibar "Liberty" .25 auto pistol I found at a flea market. Let's see how it does at 7 yards.

range%20day%2011-5-19_9a.jpg

Obviously it wasn't meant for target shooting. The orange dot in the upper left was the point of aim needed to get the point of impact close to the black. Still fairly accurate as .25 auto pistols go.

range%20day%2011-5-19_9b.jpg

Looks like a lot of fun!

I love going to the outdoor range. Its one of the things I miss about living in the boonies in east central Alabama. Had a sweet outdoor range about 10 minutes from my house.

And taking a .22 to the range is about as much fun as you can have with your clothes on. I used to take my step-daughter with 5 or 6 guns and a bunch of ammo. We always had a blast!!

Nice chrono, by the way.

Been buying and selling Aguila ammo for a very long time. I use their subsonic in my suppressed firearms. On a MKIII ruger I hold the bolt with my thumb so no cycle noise, even quieter :) The colibri both of them are fun too, bout pellet noise and power. Take a Henry 001 lever and fit a mess of them in there, cycle fine. Great for in the barn.

Been buying and selling Aguila ammo for a very long time. I use their subsonic in my suppressed firearms. On a MKIII ruger I hold the bolt with my thumb so no cycle noise, even quieter :) The colibri both of them are fun too, bout pellet noise and power. Take a Henry 001 lever and fit a mess of them in there, cycle fine. Great for in the barn.

Those Henry rifles are made up here in Wisconsin, they sure are a pretty rifle. I'd love to have one in a 45-70, just for shits and grins.

Don't blame you, they are pretty nice rifles. The 001 is the simplest of all but so beautiful in it's simplicity.

45-70 is fun, had several. Marlin Guide gun the fav. It can handle all 3 loadings. There is a load for the old ones like converted trapdoors, one for very strong like the guide gun and an inbetween. Reload is so simple too!

Had one the H&R shotgun frame with 45-70. What a hoot. Zero it for 100 yards and at 50 yards was 4 feet high :) Nah not that bad but trajectory like a softball from outfield to 3rd.

That eibar is a nice find, rare to find those grips not cracked or chipped on any of those oldsters too. I like the old stuff. Ever think of a C&R 03 collector lic? ATF doesn't mess with you, anything over 50 years old direct to your door. Was the first FFL I had, had 01 dealer decades, and 07 manufacturer class 2 SOT about 6 years. Built cool MG's but they were dealer samples of course and had to be cut up when I retired, fun meantime though!

Don't blame you, they are pretty nice rifles. The 001 is the simplest of all but so beautiful in it's simplicity.

45-70 is fun, had several. Marlin Guide gun the fav. It can handle all 3 loadings. There is a load for the old ones like converted trapdoors, one for very strong like the guide gun and an inbetween. Reload is so simple too!

Had one the H&R shotgun frame with 45-70. What a hoot. Zero it for 100 yards and at 50 yards was 4 feet high :) Nah not that bad but trajectory like a softball from outfield to 3rd.

That eibar is a nice find, rare to find those grips not cracked or chipped on any of those oldsters too. I like the old stuff. Ever think of a C&R 03 collector lic? ATF doesn't mess with you, anything over 50 years old direct to your door. Was the first FFL I had, had 01 dealer decades, and 07 manufacturer class 2 SOT about 6 years. Built cool MG's but they were dealer samples of course and had to be cut up when I retired, fun meantime though!

I have a bunch of guns and this is my favorite. Springfield Model 1884 45-70 Gov. My father bought it when he was 10 years old in 1926 for 50 cents. The day I was born he shot an 8 point buck. On my 12th birthday I shot a 10 point buck. The cartridge has a 405 grain bullet and that's why it has an extendable rear sight

upload_2020-1-11_20-21-50.png

upload_2020-1-11_20-22-18.png

I have a bunch of guns and this is my favorite. Springfield Model 1884 45-70 Gov. My father bought it when he was 10 years old in 1926 for 50 cents. The day I was born he shot an 8 point buck. On my 12th birthday I shot a 10 point buck. The cartridge has a 405 grain bullet and that's why it has an extendable rear sight

View attachment 299769

View attachment 299770

Very cool Hoss.

I had an 1884 old reliable and two 1863 falling blocks. Latter used the paper cartridge, easy enough to make. Nitrate paper and so on. Love the old ones.

Hoss, that got a 1884 date stamp? Pretty cooler even. They were made from 1863 left over Springfield muskets. Armory had so many they decided to do something with them and the armorer came up with the trapdoor conversion. I'm 65 and saw many as a kid used for deer hunting, haven't had a trapdoor myself, yet anyway! Cooler because 1874 was the first Sharps "Ole Reliable" meaning they were still converting 63's, had over 10K to maybe 30K of them.

Read about Billy Dixon? "2nd battle of adobe walls" Awesome, surrounded, Billy borrowed Bat Mastersons (he was 20 then) 1874 old reliable (45-90) and shot the medicine man off his horse 1000 yards away. In the spring of 1874, medicine man Isa-tai (translates as “Wolf’s Vulva” or “Coyote Vagina”) began claiming he had true “puha,” Comanche for power, and that anyone who followed him would be immune to the White Man’s bullets.

Here is one. Billy Dixon & Adobe Walls Long Range Shot ⋆ LooseRounds.com

Forum List

Back