Gun experts: Is there a gun that fires bullets that incapacitate but do not kill?

The division in our country today has absolutely nothing at all to do with police and guns. There is no weapon that you could build that would change or reduce or eliminate the division in our country.
You can take the hard line if you want, but that doesn't help make anything better. We can make things better for Cops if we provide a better non lethal weapon alternative. If it helps a few cops from losing their jobs and having their lives destroyed, or if it keeps a few more Black people from being killed because they ran during an arrest then I say it's worth it. As always jmo.

Again I am not looking for PERFECT. I am looking for BETTER. I think we can equip Cops with a BETTER non-lethal weapon than a Taser. BETTER is a pretty low bar considering all the problems with Tasers.
I already told you, your dream of a non-lethal weapon that would stop someone doesn't exist. There are less-lethal weapons available but no non-lethal weapons.

There is only one answer that will reduce deaths by police: don't fight with the police. If people learn that fighting with the police yields dead attackers more often than not then people will stop fighting with the police. The expectation of surviving a fight with the police only leads to more dead citizens and more dead police.

When the police say, "Stop!", then stop. When they say, "Drop it!", then drop it. When they say, "Down on the ground!", then get down on the ground. Live to be a witness in court rather than a poster sized photo on a tripod in the courtroom.

Right or wrong, take your fight to the courts. I'll stand at your funeral and yell at the top of my lungs that it was your constitutional right to resist arrest, even with deadly force, if that arrest is unconstitutional, but you won't know I did it.

Death by Bean Bag:

Death by Rubber Bullet:

Death by Tear Gas:
WACO, it was the non- leathal grenades that cause most of the death through the fire.
Again I am not looking for PERFECT. I am looking for BETTER. I think we can equip Cops with a BETTER non-lethal weapon than a Taser. BETTER is a pretty low bar considering all the problems with Tasers.
I already told you, your dream of a non-lethal weapon that would stop someone doesn't exist. There are less-lethal weapons available but no non-lethal weapons.

There is only one answer that will reduce deaths by police: don't fight with the police. If people learn that fighting with the police yields dead attackers more often than not then people will stop fighting with the police. The expectation of surviving a fight with the police only leads to more dead citizens and more dead police.

When the police say, "Stop!", then stop. When they say, "Drop it!", then drop it. When they say, "Down on the ground!", then get down on the ground. Live to be a witness in court rather than a poster sized photo on a tripod in the courtroom.

Right or wrong, take your fight to the courts. I'll stand at your funeral and yell at the top of my lungs that it was your constitutional right to resist arrest, even with deadly force, if that arrest is unconstitutional, but you won't know I did it.

Death by Bean Bag:

Death by Rubber Bullet:

Death by Tear Gas:
If as you say there is nothing better than what we currently have, then that sounds like a great opportunity for a better design for a non lethal weapon. Technology is always improving I see no reason to just accept what we have as the best we can do. When have we ever done that? I'm a pragmatist, let's just try to improve a terrible situation. Our country is becoming more divided everyday over this insanity.
What makes you think people are not doing this very thing?

The division in our country today has absolutely nothing at all to do with police and guns. There is no weapon that you could build that would change or reduce or eliminate the division in our country.
You can take the hard line if you want, but that doesn't help make anything better. We can make things better for Cops if we provide a better non lethal weapon alternative. If it helps a few cops from losing their jobs and having their lives destroyed, or if it keeps a few more Black people from being killed because they ran during an arrest then I say it's worth it. As always jmo.

It's a red herring. It doesn't solve a problem. You're looking for a perfect world and it doesn't exist. You pretend you're not looking for perfection but when you're trying to solve the killing of 18 people a year while ignoring the killing of thousands then you're not being honest or realistic in this discussion.

When addressing problems, it makes most sense to start with the biggest, the highest impact, or the largest risks and work your way down. There are enough bigger problems to solve that would really affect the lives of black and brown people, or, even better, of all people without regard to race, to worry about the 18 unarmed black people killed by police last year.

This story argues that other estimates for 2019 are low so it claims that police killed 25 unarmed blacks in 2019:

For the same year, 2019, this article claims approximately 7500 blacks murdered.

So quit trying to suggest that stopping a few out of 25 deaths will improve the lives of black Americans while you ignore the 7500 deaths that actually would improve life.

I thought I read somewhere that there are guns that fire special rounds that are very large and powerful that can knock down and/or stun a large person without killing the person. Is there such a weapon and if so, why don't Cops have that weapon?
Riot cops do. Why the normal e ery day cop does not IDK. Most these bullets are shot by shot guns is likely the answer. HRd to carry.

Weapon technology has never been static. It has been in existence and constantly changing for literally thousands of years. Coming up with something wildly new and different and worth fooling with might be a fine thing but I'll believe it when I see it.

I thought I read somewhere that there are guns that fire special rounds that are very large and powerful that can knock down and/or stun a large person without killing the person. Is there such a weapon and if so, why don't Cops have that weapon?

Do you mean bean bag rounds from a shotgun?

Hmmmmm....how about the criminals simply comply with the orders of the police officer........generally speaking that is the least lethal way to be arrested......

"Kill" is easy to define but "incapacitate" is much harder. Would you risk the life of a family member who defends him/herself with a weapon that can only incapacitate when confronted with a maniac who is armed with a deadly weapon?

The problem is not average normal police bullets, but the fact the US police deliberately uses the most lethal bullets in the world.
In the rest of the world, hollow points are illegal, and police use a very mild .380 caliber.
In the US, the police use hollow points that are banned by the Geneva convention, that turn into little buzz saws from the rifling spin.
expanded-bullet-hollow-point-has-isolated-white-background-72803827.jpg

The most common caliber that police use these days is the .40S&W, which is over twice the power of normal police calibers in the rest of the world.
It is way OVERKILL.

{...

CaliberTypeVelocity
(fps)
Energy
(ft-lb)
.380 Auto ACPHandgun980190
.40 S&WHandgun1070420

...}

There is no need for over twice the impact energy or hollow points.
There is no way to survive that sort of deliberate damage.

It's a red herring. It doesn't solve a problem. You're looking for a perfect world and it doesn't exist. You pretend you're not looking for perfection but when you're trying to solve the killing of 18 people a year while ignoring the killing of thousands then you're not being honest or realistic in this discussion.

When addressing problems, it makes most sense to start with the biggest, the highest impact, or the largest risks and work your way down. There are enough bigger problems to solve that would really affect the lives of black and brown people, or, even better, of all people without regard to race, to worry about the 18 unarmed black people killed by police last year.

This story argues that other estimates for 2019 are low so it claims that police killed 25 unarmed blacks in 2019:

For the same year, 2019, this article claims approximately 7500 blacks murdered.

So quit trying to suggest that stopping a few out of 25 deaths will improve the lives of black Americans while you ignore the 7500 deaths that actually would improve life.

Not true.
Police kill thousands a year.
The number of people they justifiably kill is only about 25, but they kill almost 10 times that number.
And the police almost never need to kill anyone.
No one is ambushing police in order to try to kill them.
They are just trying to get away usually.

And the reality is that the police caused the War on Drugs to kill many thousands more.
If not for the War on Drugs, there would not be all the killings over large amounts of drug cash, turf wars, etc.
We know this from Prohibition.

A .380 rarely kills, but it stops anyone.
There is no need for any more lethal caliber for police.
The only people who need a more powerful caliber are the military or people in bear country.

"Kill" is easy to define but "incapacitate" is much harder. Would you risk the life of a family member who defends him/herself with a weapon that can only incapacitate when confronted with a maniac who is armed with a deadly weapon?
Yes I would, if the weapon was proven to be as reliable as a gun in neutralizing a threat without killing him. Maybe that weapon doesn't exist, but guess what? We have really smart people who live here. Let's build a better weapon. I am a huge advocate for the police and I want them provided with every protection. But I don't think it's right for people to be shot dead because they are running away. Where is the deadly threat to the police in those cases?

The only people who need a more powerful caliber are the military or people in bear country.
When the police shoot someone, the goal is to stop their illegal behavior instantly. Just as in the Columbus case, where the attacker's swing was in full force and only inches left before the knife found the neck of the intended victim. Anything less than a shot that killed the attacker or a shot that was so powerful that it knocked her instantly on her ass would not have saved the victim. Four shots it took before the attacker went down. Three shots would have, most likely, have left the innocent victim dead rather than the attacker.

The shot has to be powerful enough, traumatic enough, to stop even the forward momentum of the attack, not just get compliance. When you're fully engaged in an action, the mind doesn't stop quickly enough to stop the action; it reacts too slowly. Unless, of course, the mind is stopped completely.

It's idiotic to think that you can save a life with a weapon that doesn't immediately stop an attacker.

Less lethal weapons (still many are not getting it: there are no "non-lethal" weapons) like rubber bullets and bean bags are for things like crowd dispersement, not for stopping a violent attacker.

Cops have plenty of toys like tasers, plus they fire beanbag rounds from shotguns.

Not true.
Police kill thousands a year.
The number of people they justifiably kill is only about 25, but they kill almost 10 times that number.
And the police almost never need to kill anyone.
No one is ambushing police in order to try to kill them.
They are just trying to get away usually.

And the reality is that the police caused the War on Drugs to kill many thousands more.
If not for the War on Drugs, there would not be all the killings over large amounts of drug cash, turf wars, etc.
We know this from Prohibition.

You're making it up. There are just around 1000 a year killed by police in the US and only 765 in 2020.

Even the very leftist, anti-cop, Washington Post admits that 75% of the shootings were cases where the police were defending themselves or others.

They also, in the same page, state that 25% of shootings are cases where the suspect was fleeing the police. A 2013 example of this was the Boston Marathon bomber killed on the run. The police kill fleeing suspects when that fleeing suspect is a threat to the cop or to the community. Just like the case in Columbus this week, it's easy not to get killed by the cop: stop when they say stop. Drop when they say drop. Get down when they say get down.

There are bad shootings but you've pretty much got it backwards; it's more like 25 cases a year that were not valid.

Like bean bag rounds?

Rock salt and bean bag rounds are the only two I can think of...

They have rubber bullets also...

Less than lethal can sometimes mean lethal for the cop.
Standard practice in a lot of police departments is if there are two officers on the scene one has his tazer out and the other has his standard side arm out.
Tazers dont always work,especially through a thick winter jacket.
jackass ASterling is a perfect example...he FOUGHT with the cops and had pistol....they tried to taser first, but it didn't work

Yes I would, if the weapon was proven to be as reliable as a gun in neutralizing a threat without killing him. Maybe that weapon doesn't exist, but guess what? We have really smart people who live here. Let's build a better weapon. I am a huge advocate for the police and I want them provided with every protection. But I don't think it's right for people to be shot dead because they are running away. Where is the deadly threat to the police in those cases?

Yes, I agree.
That is why I think police should be forced to the reduced power .380 the rest of the world limits police to.
Far fewer deaths by cops.
Cops don't the extra fire power because no one is trying to rob or attack the police.

When the police shoot someone, the goal is to stop their illegal behavior instantly. Just as in the Columbus case, where the attacker's swing was in full force and only inches left before the knife found the neck of the intended victim. Anything less than a shot that killed the attacker or a shot that was so powerful that it knocked her instantly on her ass would not have saved the victim. Four shots it took before the attacker went down. Three shots would have, most likely, have left the innocent victim dead rather than the attacker.

The shot has to be powerful enough, traumatic enough, to stop even the forward momentum of the attack, not just get compliance. When you're fully engaged in an action, the mind doesn't stop quickly enough to stop the action; it reacts too slowly. Unless, of course, the mind is stopped completely.

It's idiotic to think that you can save a life with a weapon that doesn't immediately stop an attacker.

Less lethal weapons (still many are not getting it: there are no "non-lethal" weapons) like rubber bullets and bean bags are for things like crowd dispersement, not for stopping a violent attacker.

First of all, the knife swing by M'Khia was a round house from right to left, that could not have reached up to the neck.
Second is that a .380 would have instantly flattened her just as well, but the only difference is she would likely have lived. It did NOT take 4 shots. The first shot likely already was way overkill. There was not even a tiny fraction of a second between shots, and she just had not had time to fall down yet from the first shot.
Most likely a single shot into the ground would have startled her enough to end the attack.
Since she had been armed with the knife and fighting for over 15 minutes before the cops arrived, and there was not one drop of blood spilt, that she never intended to actually harm anyone.
She was just a kid.
Kids generally don't actually harm each other.

Forum List

Back