Gun experts: Is there a gun that fires bullets that incapacitate but do not kill?

I thought I read somewhere that there are guns that fire special rounds that are very large and powerful that can knock down and/or stun a large person without killing the person. Is there such a weapon and if so, why don't Cops have that weapon?
a standard bullet doesnt guarantee you will stop the threat,

People should forget about gun control and enjoy this period as the best of times. You know that in 20 years RPGs will replace the semi automatic as the weapon of preference so why are we stressing over the small stuff?

I thought I read somewhere that there are guns that fire special rounds that are very large and powerful that can knock down and/or stun a large person without killing the person. Is there such a weapon and if so, why don't Cops have that weapon?

Are you talking about beanbag or other less than lethal rounds for shotguns?

1619121060357.png

Yes

What's your plan?

Make it one more heavy item a police officer has to carry around and confuse with his/her sidearm?

I'd just as soon take the tasers away and make it so there's no confusion when they officer pulls their sidearm.

*****SMILE*****

:)

I thought it was similar to beanbag rounds but not the same. I could be wrong, it just seems like there could be a better non-lethal option than a Taser which has a very poor track record of effectiveness.

Like bean bag rounds?
or rubber bullets, although if shot in the head will probably still kill you. If shot in the nuts, you new nickname will probably be One Ball.

I thought it was similar to beanbag rounds but not the same. I could be wrong, it just seems like there could be a better non-lethal option than a Taser which has a very poor track record of effectiveness.
And that's the problem. I believe most everyone would prefer the Police have access to effective non-lethal weapons, but they still leave open the possibility that they won't work and an officer or bystander will be attacked. Then there is always the possibility that a non-lethal weapon will kill someone and then the trouble starts all over again.

1619122406368.png

Not a good idea to have different magazines carrying different types of rounds. That'll just lead to even greater confusion as to what the officer has in their hand and a greater likelihood of a lethal outcome in a tense situation.

*****SMILE*****

View attachment 482797

Not a good idea to have different magazines carrying different types of rounds. That'll just lead to even greater confusion as to what the officer has in their hand and a greater likelihood of a lethal outcome in a tense situation.

*****SMILE*****

That's true. Until we have Star Trek phasers that can be set on "stun", too many options get people killed. And even with those phasers, you'll still have "I thought it was set to stun".

And that's the problem. I believe most everyone would prefer the Police have access to effective non-lethal weapons, but they still leave open the possibility that they won't work and an officer or bystander will be attacked. Then there is always the possibility that a non-lethal weapon will kill someone and then the trouble starts all over again.

There's been complaints about tazers already.
Mainly because the muscles lock up and the perp falls like a tree and fracture their skull on the pavement.
I could see where been bags would be better in that they dont freeze up the muscles and they go down from localised trauma.

Rubber bullets but I don't know where to buy them.

There are many, many many options for non lethal weapons. The cops have them as well.

The thing is, non lethal will always have the chance to be lethal and will never be as effective as a sidearm. Cops have tons of options, batons, bean bags, tasers, chemicals like prepper spray and so on.

Even guns can be 'non lethal' in a manner of speaking. Many people survive a round from a 9 mil. The bottom line is this, the more lethal weapon you use the more likely it will stop the threat and the less lethal it is the less likely it will stop the threat as well as the more competent you have to be in its use. Somewhere between a rocket launcher and a squirt gun there is a good point to settle on.

Cops do not need less effective means to deal with criminals. We could start with more training, focus and guidance on de-escalation rather than forceful control. Even better would be to deal with the fact that a carrier field which pays mediocre, has a high chance of being assaulted, a higher than normal chance of being violently killed and has the wonderful perk of dealing with the shittiest people on the planet every damn day is going to attract a number of people that want the job for nothing more than the pure power it gives them to be a bully.

Those people are going to be a problem no matter what you put in their hands.

Like bean bag rounds?
or rubber bullets, although if shot in the head will probably still kill you. If shot in the nuts, you new nickname will probably be One Ball.
Or no ball.

There's been complaints about tazers already.
Mainly because the muscles lock up and the perp falls like a tree and fracture their skull on the pavement.
I could see where been bags would be better in that they dont freeze up the muscles and they go down from localised trauma.
There are multiple problems with Tasers. You have a damn wire attached to the round to begin with, they bounce off heavy clothing, the officers sometimes confuse the taser with the gun which just happened, don't work on really big guys, or really high guys, sometimes they get taken away from the cop and shot back at the cop like that one Black guy who was killed last year. There HAS to be a better non lethal option than a Taser.

Forum List

Back