GTA municipalities team up in ‘blockbuster bid’ for Amazon headquarters

Aug 6, 2012
I'm going to do my part to make sure Amazon knows what they are dealing with in Toronto. Remember, I told you guys here first that Toronto will be the front runner for this. You can be sure Canada had an agent or two working behind the scenes in Seattle well before this was announced.

Don't underestimate Big Government, Neo-communists. :)

GTA municipalities team up in ‘blockbuster bid’ for Amazon headquarters | Toronto Star

In its strategy of presenting a united front to beat out fierce competition for Amazon’s second North American headquarters, Toronto is partnering with three other municipalities and two mayors to put forward a single, regional bid.

Three mayors — Toronto’s John Tory, Mississauga’s Bonnie Crombie and Brampton’s Linda Jeffrey — and chairpersons of the Durham, Halton and York regions have joined forces in the bid.

The municipalities are part of Toronto Global, a new agency working to bolster efforts to attract foreign direct investment to the region.

Amazon is the agency’s first major project, and one that Mayor Tory believes is unparalleled in Canada when considering its possibility to generate tens of thousands of jobs, billions of dollars in investment and potentially massive spinoffs.

Seattle-based Amazon announced its search for a home for “Amazon HQ2” on Sept. 7. The tech giant is poised to invest “more than $5 billion (U.S.) in construction and grow this second headquarters to include as many as 50,000 high-paying jobs.”

“It’s going to be a blockbuster bid because it’s going to have the region bidding, hopefully with some people who aren’t technically part of Toronto Global joining us,” Tory said in an interview.

Though Global Toronto was conceived to include the immediate GTA area at the time of its launch in February 2017, Tory said he hopes to partner with cities like Waterloo and Hamilton in this bid and for future projects.

Tory said the timing of this agency was perfect for the Amazon bid, but creating a regional partnership to entice foreign investors is something he has been working on for years.

Forum List

Back