Grid scale storage, the answer to an all renewable grid

I prefer "Small Nuclear Reactors" (SMRs) to modernize and secure our grid. By having decentralized small nuclear reactors, you have clean power and the ability to firewall each SMR against hackers.

I prefer "Small Nuclear Reactors" (SMRs) to modernize and secure our grid. By having decentralized small nuclear reactors, you have clean power and the ability to firewall each SMR against hackers.

Unproven technology and dangerous by products. All nuclear thus far has been very expensive compared to renewables.

1624724311264.png

Unproven technology and dangerous by products. All nuclear thus far has been very expensive compared to renewables.

View attachment 505817
Nuclear reactors are "unproven technology"????? Are you being serious?

Pumped storage, where the land permits is, is a major resource for grid scale storage.

Don't necessarily agree with this guy. His example uses one small turbine. He has the capacity to place multiple turbines within that same hose with each producing the energy of that one. Imagine if he had 10 turbines on that hose with a 60 degree drop.

View attachment 505817
Nuclear reactors are "unproven technology"????? Are you being serious?
And where have they ran these mini-nukes, and for how long? What is the estimated cost per MW? And what do you do with the waste and the reactor after it is done?

Pumped storage, where the land permits is, is a major resource for grid scale storage.

Soooooo, where's all that water going to come fr

The one on the Columbia pumps it out of the river behind John Day Dam to a reservoir on the land above the gorge. Then it returns that same water to the river generating more energy as the water is allowed to flow back through tubes with turbines attached. It doesn't actually use the water just the gravitational energy.

The one on the Columbia pumps it out of the river behind John Day Dam to a reservoir on the land above the gorge. Then it returns that same water to the river generating more energy as the water is allowed to flow back through tubes with turbines attached. It doesn't actually use the water just the gravitational energy.

Yes, the point is, where this sort of thing can be used is quite limited. Thus it is NOT a solution. It is merely a new way to destroy yet more arable land.

Yes, the point is, where this sort of thing can be used is quite limited. Thus it is NOT a solution. It is merely a new way to destroy yet more arable land.

In the case of the Columbia, that land is not arable. It is purely a lava mesa. Also the technology can be used by placing the reservoirs underground on the elevated area. This would serve a dual purpose as it would reduce and possibly eliminate evaporation while allowing cultivation on the arable land above if that was the case.

And where have they ran these mini-nukes, and for how long? What is the estimated cost per MW? And what do you do with the waste and the reactor after it is done?
We have over a half a century of experience managing nuclear reactors safely and disposing of the waste. Let's deploy the SMRs to a few remote communities and see how that goes. As we gain experience and confidence SMRs could grow into a significant asset for our power grids. I don't see them as the end all solution, I do see them being very valuable for serving rural communities and offloading the main power grids.

So the power it takes to pump all that water uphill so it can flow down again comes from where exactly? It seems to me that it will take more power to pump it up to the reservoir than it will make on the way down

Not very efficient

Forum List

Back