Greyhound - Tom Hanks.... no, I didn't watch in on Apple TV

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
When I learned the new Tom Hanks movie was only available on Apple TV?.... fuck Apple.
I haven't pirated a movie in probably close to 10 years. I use to pirate dozens of movies because the industry didn't provide a reasonable way to watch their content. Then they did... the likes of Vudu, Fandego etc. where you can easily rent movies at reasonable prices.
I would rather be legal.
But when Apple pulls a Microsoft, and squanders a highly desired product to get people to pay for services they don't want? - Screw you.
I got it for free. I would have gladly, preferably paid for it.

Now for the Movie...
It was pretty good. During WW II German U-Boats were tearing up supply lines along the sea at will. Sinking dozens of ships every attempt to get thru.
Greyhound is the story of when the U.S. dispatched destroyers to protect merchant ships. Many times it didn't go well. U boats were hard to find, let alone hit. One Captain figured out how.
It will not dazzle you with special effects, it does not contain mind blowing CGI... it will however remind you that good acting and a good story still outguns a crap story with great graphics.

When I learned the new Tom Hanks movie was only available on Apple TV?.... fuck Apple.
I haven't pirated a movie in probably close to 10 years. I use to pirate dozens of movies because the industry didn't provide a reasonable way to watch their content. Then they did... the likes of Vudu, Fandego etc. where you can easily rent movies at reasonable prices.
I would rather be legal.
But when Apple pulls a Microsoft, and squanders a highly desired product to get people to pay for services they don't want? - Screw you.

Now for the Movie...
It was pretty good. During WW II German U-Boats were tearing up supply lines along the sea at will. Sinking dozens of ships every attempt to get thru.
Greyhound is the story of when the U.S. dispatched destroyers to protect merchant ships. Many times it didn't go well. U boats were hard to find, let alone hit. One Captain figured out how.
It will not dazzle you with special effects, it does not contain mind blowing CGI... it will however remind you that good acting and a good story still outguns a crap story with great graphics.

So your issue is..Apple made a movie..on their dime..and chose to release it exclusively on its platform?

A good reason, in your mind, to steal..is still the action of a thief--hope you enjoyed the movie that you stole.

BTW...Apple offers a 7-day free trial--which I used to watch the movie...very enjoyable...Tom Hanks gave his usual stellar performance!

I'm so over both World War II movies and Tom Hanks I will never watch either again.
World War II was the "good war" according to Hollywood because we saved Communism from being destroyed by the Nazis, then handed the Communists half the world to oppress.

I would rather be legal.

Now for the Movie...

So your issue is..Apple made a movie..on their dime..and chose to release it exclusively on its platform?

A good reason, in your mind, to steal..is still the action of a thief--hope you enjoyed the movie that you stole.

BTW...Apple offers a 7-day free trial--which I used to watch the movie...very enjoyable...Tom Hanks gave his usual stellar performance!

:rolleyes:
No my issue is the industry is working very hard to get total control back.
Ironically, I am of the same opinion as Steve Jobs on the balance between people and the product makers.
A little product perhaps you heard of, Napster, changed everything in the music industry. Everything.
It completely took the power away from the record industry and laid it into the hands of the people.
The industry was desperately out of balance. The people had all the power. Never in the history of the world such widespread theft ever occurred before. But the industry asked for it. Prior to Napster, the industry was sucking more and more. CD's were too expensive, and the industry was forcing artist to produce multiple albums a year. Music suffered. You would buy a CD, MAYBE two good songs. THe rest was just filler to force the people to pay more for less.
The result was Napster. Still to this day the most downloaded software in the world. Facebook/Twitter doesn't even hold a candle to the user base Napster had.
Until Steven Jobs convinced the industry that people really want to be legal. But they also demand value, and will only take getting ripped off for so long. The result of that was the iPod, and iTunes. Which begat a plethora of other choices for the people. And now of course, streaming music is what every one does.
The balance was restored.
Today the movie industry is working very hard to get more control, and reduce availability and raise their profits.
How? The slow death of Netflix is one example. Netflix is losing content everyday. Now every company want their own "Netflix".
People who "cut the cable" are finding that streaming is becoming the new cable. Back to where you have to subscribe to a bunch of low cost fillers to get the good stuff. Netflix is losing. They are losing to Hulu, Disney, HBO Go, Amazon Prime, Roku Channel, CBS All Access.... etc etc.
In another 5 years or so. Streaming will be just like cable was.
The balance will once again be upset and we, the consumers will suck on it.

Fuck that.

I would rather be legal.

Now for the Movie...

Ironically, I am of the same opinion as Steve Jobs on the balance between people and the product makers.
A little product perhaps you heard of, Napster, changed everything in the music industry. Everything.
It completely took the power away from the record industry and laid it into the hands of the people.
The industry was desperately out of balance. The people had all the power. Never in the history of the world such widespread theft ever occurred before. But the industry asked for it. Prior to Napster, the industry was sucking more and more. CD's were too expensive, and the industry was forcing artist to produce multiple albums a year. Music suffered. You would buy a CD, MAYBE two good songs. THe rest was just filler to force the people to pay more for less.
The result was Napster. Still to this day the most downloaded software in the world. Facebook/Twitter doesn't even hold a candle to the user base Napster had.
Until Steven Jobs convinced the industry that people really want to be legal. But they also demand value, and will only take getting ripped off for so long. The result of that was the iPod, and iTunes. Which begat a plethora of other choices for the people. And now of course, streaming music is what every one does.
Today the movie industry is working very hard to get more control, and reduce availability and raise their profits.
How? The slow death of Netflix is one example. Netflix is losing content everyday. Now every company want their own "Netflix".
People who "cut the cable" are finding that streaming is becoming the new cable. Back to where you have to subscribe to a bunch of low cost fillers to get the good stuff. Netflix is losing. They are losing to Hulu, Disney, HBO Go, Amazon Prime, Roku Channel, CBS All Access.... etc etc.

Fuck that.

My cable bill was $165 a month--I now spend $42.99. I don't worry about the viability of Netflix...as long as I can watch what I want..I'm a happy camper.

BTW...Football is still free! So is local News.

I would rather be legal.

Now for the Movie...

Fuck that.

My cable bill was $165 a month--I now spend $42.99. I don't worry about the viability of Netflix...as long as I can watch what I want..I'm a happy camper.

BTW...Football is still free! So is local News.

Yeah?
So when Apple does it again then what? You already used your free trial, you will run out of credit card #s.
And then when HBO Go sees Apple's trick... then they do it to. Then HULU does it... and on and on.
It is just like the good days of video gaming in the 90s and early 2000s.
Most popular games were made by independent companies. Those companies coded the games to run on multiple platforms. So no matter what system you had, or PC gaming... you could play it.
Then along comes someone like Microsoft. They needed a strong game to push out their new XBox.
So they gobbled up the most popular game at the time - Halo by buying Bungie.
And they made the game only available on either XBox or Microsoft Windows. Then they even killed the PC side and made it only XBox.
That is what is happening to the movie/TV industry.

I would rather be legal.

Now for the Movie...

Not to nitpick but Sony made the movie. Apple TV was a distributor for streaming. They could have picked Netflix or HULU. They picked Apple.

You're 100% correct about the other part. Blob supporters, taking after their blob, do nothing on the up and up.

I would rather be legal.

Now for the Movie...

Not to nitpick but Sony made the movie. Apple TV was a distributor for streaming. They could have picked Netflix or HULU. They picked Apple.

You're 100% correct about the other part. Blob supporters, taking after their blob, do nothing on the up and up.

Bullshit.
Very few main title movies are only available on one platform.
Pick a hit movie... and you can choose between literally a dozen platforms. NO SUBSCRIPTION REQUIRED.
The industry is currently moving to exclusivity based market which forces people to either cheat, or pay up.
I don't want to have to subscribe to a package to watch one damn movie. That is ridiculous.

I would rather be legal.

Now for the Movie...

Bullshit.
Pick a hit movie... and you can choose between literally a dozen platforms. NO SUBSCRIPTION REQUIRED.
The industry is currently moving to exclusivity based market which forces people to either cheat, or pay up.
I don't want to have to subscribe to a package to watch one damn movie. That is ridiculous.

Ok..

"Once upon a Time in Hollywood." Where can I see it for free?

I would rather be legal.

Now for the Movie...

Bullshit.

Ok..

Free?
Who said anything about free?
We watched it on VUDU when it was a rental... but - I am glad you brought this movie up.
It makes my point.
Currently you cannot rent it. Because STARZ has exclusive rights to it.
See what I mean? This is exactly what I am talking about. A market based on exclusivity. So the only way you can see a variety of movies/shows is if you subscribe to numerous packages.
Just like cable.
And that is what streaming companies are doing. They are moving rapidly towards the old cable racket.

I would rather be legal.

Now for the Movie...

Bullshit.

Ok..

Free?
Who said anything about free?
We watched it on VUDU when it was a rental... but - I am glad you brought this movie up.
It makes my point.
Currently you cannot rent it. Because STARZ has exclusive rights to it.
See what I mean? This is exactly what I am talking about. A market based on exclusivity. So the only way you can see a variety of movies/shows is if you subscribe to numerous packages.
Just like cable.
And that is what streaming companies are doing. They are moving rapidly towards the old cable racket.

My misunderstanding

Hanks sold his soul to the corrupt Dems and their hate groups> nation of islam, klan, antif, blm, black panthers, muslim brotherhood....

Hell, I've wanted to buy Greyhound since it went to Apple. They don't ever seem to intend releasing it on Blu-ray. I really wanted to see it ion the big screen' If they did a theater release noe it would probably still make money.

'Greyhound', is based on the C.S. Forrester novel, 'The Good Shepherd'.

It is as faithful to the original source material as any Hollywood film I've ever seen.

Hanks does an excellent job showing the strain of command so central to the plot of the novel.

I have it in my collection and have watched it several times.

'Greyhound', is based on the C.S. Forrester novel, 'The Good Shepherd'.

It is as faithful to the original source material as any Hollywood film I've ever seen.

Hanks does an excellent job showing the strain of command so central to the plot of the novel.

I have it in my collection and have watched it several times.
How did you get a copy? Did you ever see a Alastair Maclean book based movie called "Breakheart Pass"? Maclean had learned the hard way to keep creative control when his books were made into movies. The movie is an exact reproduction of the book in every event. It's also a really good movie with Charles Bronson as the lead.

Forum List

Back