Grey market of Hotel Soap Bar recycling...

At least it's not recycled cooking oil from the sewers like they do in China.

My grandma saved every tiny sliver of soap and then pressed them into a new bar of soap. Depression era no brainer.

Recycling any kind of oil for human consumption? NO.

My grandma saved every tiny sliver of soap and then pressed them into a new bar of soap. Depression era no brainer.

Well, considering that there are many ways to make the oil safe for human consumption (pasteurization comes to mind for one), and considering that most times when using oil for cooking, the temp gets hot enough for a long enough time to pretty much kill anything in it, why not?

Oil that isn't cooked and used "raw" (like olive oil for salad dressings), probably not a good idea. But for cooking? Might be a solution.

Thanks for the link. I was thinking that the major problem would have been bacteria and other critters, but apparently that's not the case. Considering what they said that happens when the oil is broken down via repeated heating and cooling (chemical changes) as well as that oil absorbs a lot of chemical toxins, yeah, I agree, this is a problem that could become serious.

If I ever go overseas to China or other places where sewer oil is used, you can bet that eating from street vendors is something I WON'T do.

Kinda bums me out a bit actually, because one of my favorite things to do was sample a lot of the "street food" in the various countries I visited while serving in the Navy.

My grandmother made her own lye soap....That shit would peel the skin off. ;)

I can still remember hauling wood stove ashes out to the ash hopper.

My grandmother made her own lye soap....That shit would peel the skin off. ;)

I can still remember hauling wood stove ashes out to the ash hopper.

I aspire to making my own soap. I do have lab made potassium and sodium hydroxide and lots of saved up tallow, and I hope that would make a milder soap than wood ash and tallow.

Wouldn't mind making soap the old timey way just for the historic value of being able to say I did it, but yeah, it would be reserved for cleaning things that don't have nerve endings.

I aspire to making my own soap. I do have lab made potassium and sodium hydroxide and lots of saved up tallow, and I hope that would make a milder soap than wood ash and tallow.

Wouldn't mind making soap the old timey way just for the historic value of being able to say I did it, but yeah, it would be reserved for cleaning things that don't have nerve endings.

I saw my grandmother make it.....Not a fan but it's good to know how.

LOL.....One local "buckskinner" used to make it from rendered bear fat we would give him when we killed a bear.....He would sell it at "rendezvous".

Sort of like this:

Video: How to Make Bear Grease Soap

If I ever go overseas to China or other places where sewer oil is used, you can bet that eating from street vendors is something I WON'T do.
I found it interesting that Chinese have been coking in sewer oil for so long (and its so far reaching into society) that they think the Chinese are slowly developing an adaptability to consuming toxic, fried foods (the foods themselves of questionable quality, concerning food storage, handling, and other concerns).

I'm no scientist, but he mentioned these specifically as being a by product of this type of cooking.

Forum List

Back