Gravity storage for renewables

Ah yes, and this is so aesthetically pleasing;
View attachment 568834
HaHaHa, do you see further than the end of your lying nose? Where do you think the steel (coal to manufacture) and minerals are going to come from to produce all of those wonderful batteries that you figure are the answer to the world's problems? Hmmmmm? Try again Rocks in your head.

coincidentally you could use spring storage in conjunction with this system and maybe rely on the gas station to fill you up with torque for your gravity battery.

I don't know if its known but I bet if you cut a spring short and pull it hard against its resillience that you would store more energy per spring weight that way.

I don't know why they don't just drill holes in the ground instead of building towers of steel for a path for the weight to be lowered. I guess that's my own thing though :)
They already have a project like that. It's in the video. They drop a weight down an abandoned mine shaft.

When you create new sources of energy, does this mean we get it for near nothing? Or will there be the corporate interests that will do the things that many Progs detest? The idea of living is for the masses things have to be as cheap as possible within reason. And some of it is not going to make purists or environmental ever happy. Climate change may be happening, but humans are not affecting it in a major way. Anyone can skewer science to their advantage. Weather is not Climate Change in that we all do not live in a perfectly temperate 72 degree environment.

Plus by having individual battery's at each home, the power plant could store energy over a wide scale, this would be useful for storing energy during low energy usage times.
That is a good idea, and it is called a virtual power plant. Here is a detailed description of such plants. Tesla and South Australia are building one that will have 50,000 homes, and a 250 MW capacity.

HaHaHa, do you see further than the end of your lying nose? Where do you think the steel (coal to manufacture) and minerals are going to come from to produce all of those wonderful batteries that you figure are the answer to the world's problems? Hmmmmm? Try again Rocks in your head.
Now look, dumb fuck, nobody cares how the power they need is generated, as long as they have as much as they need. Steel can be produced without coal or coke. In fact, the Evraz steel mill in Pueblo, Colorado will be using solar power to melt their steel.. Their Portland, Oregon plant long used renewable power to melt the steel, and natural gas to reheat the slabs.

If gravity is energy and you store it rather than allowing it to serve its natural function then you're going to have people floating off into space. It'll happen first in the Southern Hemisphere where people in liberal New Zealand are already having a hard time keeping a grip.

If you doubt this try growing your Halloween pumpkins in the deep shade under your solar panels. Keep sunlight from doing its normal work and Mother Nature gets REALLY pissed!

OK, libbies....you been had.

If gravity is energy and you store it rather than allowing it to serve its natural function then you're going to have people floating off into space. It'll happen first in the Southern Hemisphere where people in liberal New Zealand are already having a hard time keeping a grip.

If you doubt this try growing your Halloween pumpkins in the deep shade under your solar panels. Keep sunlight from doing its normal work and Mother Nature gets REALLY pissed!

OK, libbies....you been had.
That is the most incredibly dumb post I have seen today. Congratulations. As for agrivoltaics, it will be growing exponentially both in the US and the rest of the world;

abstract 12.png

dam gravity with explosive as fuel

It will be interesting to see what kind of operational efficiency they have and can maintain.

Grand Coulee Dam has been doing this since she was completed in the 1930's ... when grid demand is down, instead of shutting down penstocks they'd pump water up into holding reservoirs ... although designed for a "gravity fed" irrigation system, I believe today folks up there run this stored water through a hydroturbines before it's sent down the canals ... towers with weights seems an overly complicated solution to an otherwise simple problem ...

Meh ... 100 kg at 1/10 m/s gives 9.8 W ... for 6 minutes using a 30 meter tower ... did we get FAA permission to obstruct the airplanes? ... I think it's much easier to push the control rods into the nuclear reactor when demand is low ... so simple even Bubba can do it ... and the FAA is pretty easy going with containment structure for the nuclear reactor ... just put a red flashy light on top ...

Grand Coulee Dam has been doing this since she was completed in the 1930's ... when grid demand is down, instead of shutting down penstocks they'd pump water up into holding reservoirs ... although designed for a "gravity fed" irrigation system, I believe today folks up there run this stored water through a hydroturbines before it's sent down the canals ... towers with weights seems an overly complicated solution to an otherwise simple problem ...

Meh ... 100 kg at 1/10 m/s gives 9.8 W ... for 6 minutes using a 30 meter tower ... did we get FAA permission to obstruct the airplanes? ... I think it's much easier to push the control rods into the nuclear reactor when demand is low ... so simple even Bubba can do it ... and the FAA is pretty easy going with containment structure for the nuclear reactor ... just put a red flashy light on top ...
It will be interesting to see how it turns out.

Not every place has the land relief for pumped hydro. And the weights for that tower are in the tens of tons. Plus, there are many other methods of skinning this cat, including liquid air. Yes, just move the rods in and out. Nothing to go wrong. Three Mile Island, Chernobyl, and Fukushima. Nothing at all to go wrong.

Forum List

Back