Governors Across U.S. Step Up Push To Legalize Marijuana In Their States

Now this is what I call making America great.

State legislatures across the U.S. have convened for new sessions over the past month, and a growing number of governors are taking steps to push lawmakers to include legalizing marijuana as part of their 2020 agendas.

At least 10 governors have gone so far as to put language ending marijuana prohibition in their annual budget requests, or used their State of the State speeches to pressure legislators to act on cannabis reform.

Some are proactively addressing the issue, while others appear to be mostly reacting to support that has already built up among lawmakers. But altogether, it’s clear that top state executives are now taking marijuana more seriously than ever before.

Here’s a look at how governors are taking action on marijuana as 2020 legislative sessions get underway.

1200px-Cannabis_Plant.jpg

From a related article, same page:

>> A top Mexican lawmaker says the nation’s Senate will vote on a bill to legalize marijuana by the end of this month.

Sen. Julio Menchaca of the ruling MORENA party, who serves as president of the Justice Committee, said this week that legislation to legalize cannabis has “already circulated to the members” of key panels following “many exercises of open parliament.”

The Supreme Court ruled in 2018 that Mexico’s ban on the personal use and possession of marijuana is unconstitutional and it initially set a deadline of October 2019 to amend the policy. But while lawmakers came close to voting on a bill late last year that was approved by a series of committees, they requested a deadline extension at the last minute, and the court approved it.

Congress now has until the end of April to legalize cannabis, but Menchaca said “we hope to take it out in the Senate this month.” <<​

Canada already did it. We'll be boxed in, eh.

Pot heads should get what they want. To be left alone. Fire them from jobs. Evict them from homes. Leave them alone with their drugs.

The laws are changing quickly.

Finding an up to date map is hard, really hard.

1140-marijuana-map-state-laws.imgcache.rev286ba62a44bd1f64bf1ee85eca67b0b1.jpg

How Trump could take pot legalization away from Dems in 2020

". . . Essentially, in formally opening the federal legality gateway for states to decide their own paths on pot legalization, the STATES Act greatly incentivizes state ballot initiatives to further liberalize, or clarify, state cannabis regulations. Already, Democratic strategists have initiatives ready to roll in Florida, Ohio, Michigan and Wisconsin, with more to follow in other key presidential swing states to drive overwhelmingly Democratic pro-legalization voters to the polls. If that happens, Trump could be cooked, even presuming a continued strong economy and no major foreign policy reversals.

But if they play their cards right, the president and his strategists have the chance to pull the rug out from under this ingenious plot, and turn the issue to the disadvantage of his Democratic opponents. By signing an executive order or presidential memorandum redirecting current administrative and prosecutorial resources for the Controlled Substances Act away from state-legal marijuana businesses and towards international trafficking and opioid and fentanyl trafficking, Trump would take the wind out of the sails of 2020 state ballot initiatives, depress Democratic turnout, and score a potentially bipartisan win on the crucial issue of opioid abuse in one fell swoop.. . . "

The laws are changing quickly.

Finding an up to date map is hard, really hard.

1140-marijuana-map-state-laws.imgcache.rev286ba62a44bd1f64bf1ee85eca67b0b1.jpg

". . . Essentially, in formally opening the federal legality gateway for states to decide their own paths on pot legalization, the STATES Act greatly incentivizes state ballot initiatives to further liberalize, or clarify, state cannabis regulations. Already, Democratic strategists have initiatives ready to roll in Florida, Ohio, Michigan and Wisconsin, with more to follow in other key presidential swing states to drive overwhelmingly Democratic pro-legalization voters to the polls. If that happens, Trump could be cooked, even presuming a continued strong economy and no major foreign policy reversals.

But if they play their cards right, the president and his strategists have the chance to pull the rug out from under this ingenious plot, and turn the issue to the disadvantage of his Democratic opponents. By signing an executive order or presidential memorandum redirecting current administrative and prosecutorial resources for the Controlled Substances Act away from state-legal marijuana businesses and towards international trafficking and opioid and fentanyl trafficking, Trump would take the wind out of the sails of 2020 state ballot initiatives, depress Democratic turnout, and score a potentially bipartisan win on the crucial issue of opioid abuse in one fell swoop.. . . "

Da fuxsup wit New Hamster? :uhh:

Doesn't look like Orange is leaning that way -- from another article on the OP link page:
Top Pro-Trump Lawmaker: Congress Will Ignore President’s Push To End Medical Marijuana Protections

Now this is what I call making America great.

State legislatures across the U.S. have convened for new sessions over the past month, and a growing number of governors are taking steps to push lawmakers to include legalizing marijuana as part of their 2020 agendas.

At least 10 governors have gone so far as to put language ending marijuana prohibition in their annual budget requests, or used their State of the State speeches to pressure legislators to act on cannabis reform.

Some are proactively addressing the issue, while others appear to be mostly reacting to support that has already built up among lawmakers. But altogether, it’s clear that top state executives are now taking marijuana more seriously than ever before.

Here’s a look at how governors are taking action on marijuana as 2020 legislative sessions get underway.

1200px-Cannabis_Plant.jpg

Good. More states and the federal government should legalize it. Regulate and tax it.

My state legalized it for medical use in 1998. We legalized it for recreational use in 2012.

More states should follow our lead.

Lifestyle stoners want it legal as they’re thoroughly convinced that if it is the stand-up, unimpaired folks of society wont see them as the degenerate, lowlife piece of shits they are....Legit, productive, casual smokers prefer it stay illegal as they really don’t prefer their children and grandchildren to smoke nor do they want the wetback cartels buying homes around them and converting them into grow houses.

Lifestyle stoners want it legal as they’re thoroughly convinced that if it is the stand-up, unimpaired folks of society wont see them as the degenerate, lowlife piece of shits they are....Legit, productive, casual smokers prefer it stay illegal as they really don’t prefer their children and grandchildren to smoke nor do they want the wetback cartels buying homes around them and converting them into grow houses.
I'm a legit, productive, casual smoker, and I want it legalized,
so....you are wrong again, Mr Loser. Seems to be a common pattern with you.

I also want the ability to simply go to a store.

I have that ability now. There are marijuana stores all over the place here.

I’m guessing you fellas believe you’re part of the rule and not the exception?
Study: Poorer marijuana users smoking the most – The Denver Post

Yeah.
Poor people shouldn't buy tall 40's or Newport's either.
I have just accepted the fact I cannot control the decisions of others and will not use the state to do so.

Yeah.
I have just accepted the fact I cannot control the decisions of others and will not use the state to do so.

Well, following that logic we should just say fuck it and legalize all substances.
Our lowest grade of degenerate liabilities deserve a greater variety of narcotics to choose from...they deserve the opportunity to find that perfect high and level of impairment while funded by taxpayers.

Yeah.

Well, following that logic we should just say fuck it and legalize all substances.
Our lowest grade of degenerate liabilities deserve a greater variety of narcotics to choose from...they deserve the opportunity to find that perfect high and level of impairment while funded by taxpayers.
Now you are being a hyperbolic drama queen.
No one is calling for legalization of all substances except for a small minority.
Regardless, how has the policy of a law enforcement approach of the last four decades worked out?
You are failing to control anyones behavior.
Seems we have more issues with far more dangerous substances as a result of it. Many starting with a legal prescription that evolved into a full fledged addiction to opiates.
Better to deal with harder substances through a medical not law enforcement approach.

Forum List

Back