Gov. Nikki Haley Calls For Removal Of Confederate Flag From Capitol Grounds

Another freedom lost to liberal PC nonsense. ...... :cool:

A little history lesson on the flying of the Confederate Battle Flag at South Carolina State Capitol, first flown as the Battle Flag of the Army of Northern of Virginia.
1 South Carolina seceded in 1860 with a declaration drafted by Christopher Memminger due "to increasing hostility on the part of non slave holding states to the institution of slavery"
2. South Carolinian secessionist Edmund Ruffin fired the first shot of the Civil War in Charleston, South Carolina
3. The Stars and Bars was flown as the rallying cry of Confederate troops.
3. The Civil War ended June 17, 1865 and Ruffin wrapped himself in the Confederate Battle Flag and blew his brains out.
4. The flags were folded up and kept in the closet and appropriately used at memorials or cemeteries for the brave men the pansy ass plantation owners sent to be slaughtered, the majority by hunger and disease and not battle.
5. There was no need to fly the flag for the next 70 years as Jim Crow reigned unchallenged. African Americans that challenged Jim Crow hung by nooses from tall trees
6. In the late 1940s the Dixiecrats revolted against Harry Truman when he desegregated the armed forces and supported anti lynching bills. The flag was once again waved at their opposition rallies. At the Democratic convention in July 1948 9 southern states backed our Senator Richard Russell over Truman and Confederate Battle Flags were waving to the sound of Dixie. Later in Birmingham Alabama they nominated Strom Thurmond of South Carolina. Sales of the Battle Flag exploded in the south.
7. Over the next decade the flag was a staple of Klan rallies.
8. In 1961 South Carolina in defiance to being forced to integrate their schools took out the Confederate Battle Flag that had not flown on state property in 79 years and flew it to show their support of segregation and separate but equal.

What in the hell is wrong with allowing black kids to go to white schools and end segregation? That is why the flag was flown after 79 years and that is why it should be taken down. I have no problems with memorials and cemetery respect for the Confederate soldiers that fell and were abandoned by the wealthy plantation class that ran an entire economic system on slave labor.
You just demonstrated the bigoted selective reference of bastardized use of the flag while disregarding its actual heritage.

Uh, the thread is the flying of the flag at SC State Capitol which has nothing to do with heritage.
If it had anything to do with heritage how come SC never flew that flag from 1865-1961.
I am as southern as it gets, born and raised in deep south and lived here for all of my 60+ years.
Your bunk about the flying of the stars and bars at SC State Capitol because of heritage is steaming Bull Shit.
Heritage is when we bring the flag out for ceremonies at memorials and cemeteries for our fallen who the Confederate leaders, not their military, sent to starve to death and die of disease.
I know heritage and also know South Carolina brought it back in 1961 after 96 years because of their opposition to integration.
Claiming that was heritage is selective bastardized use of what really happened.

Just saw former Congressman Ben 'Cooter' Jones on CNN, and he tore the host up over blaming the flag for what happened.

STOP letting these people use these peoples DEATH to drive their own agendas and dirty politics to DIVIDE us
This the decision of the PEOPLE who live in that state. NO ONE else's and they need to shut the hell up about it

SNIP:

Let’s Not Get Trolled On The Confederate Flag

By Robert Tracinski

By Robert Tracinski
June 23, 2015

Politico headline about “the Republican reversal on the Confederate flag” that led to South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley’s decision to call for its removal. Excuse me, but Republicans were in favor of taking down that flag a lot earlier than Democrats—about 150 years earlier.

When did the battle flag start flying over the South Carolina statehouse? In 1962, ostensibly to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the war, but also as a statement of defiance against the civil rights movement—defiance on the part of a Democratic governor and a Democratic legislature.

And who negotiated the compromise that moved it down from the dome of the statehouse but kept it on the grounds? A Democratic governor, after his Republican predecessor had tried and failed to remove it.

So you might want to reconsider which party has reversed itself on this issue.

I’ve never understood how anyone can defend the official display of the flag, and I think it never should have been up in the first place. Admittedly, this comes to me easily. While I’ve lived in Virginia for a couple of decades now—long enough to say “y’all” in a way that sounds natural—I am a transplanted Yankee, and where I grew up all the parks are named after Grant and Lincoln, not Lee and Jackson. While Southerners like to point out that Civil War history is uniquely alive down here, there are still plenty of reminders of it up North. It was a part of our heritage, too, and we were very proud that those who came before us had been on the right side of the conflict.

all of it here:
Let s Not Get Trolled On The Confederate Flag

Gov. Nikki Haley Calls For Removal Of Confederate Flag From Capitol Grounds

Will the GILF tear down that flag?

South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley (R) said on Monday that the Confederate flag must come down from the grounds of the state capitol.

Haley's call came after a massacre last week at a historic black church in Charleston, S.C. The suspect, Dylan Roof, appeared to have white supremacist ties and was often pictured with the flag.

Haley said Roof had a "sick and twisted view of the flag" and noted that most South Carolinians who support the flag view it as a "symbol of respect, integrity and duty" and as a way to memorialize and honor ancestors. For others, she noted, the flag is a “deeply offensive symbol of a brutally oppressive past.”

During the news conference, Haley said the "heart and soul of South Carolina" was "starting to mend” following the shooting and noted that the removal of the flag from the state capitol was a step in this healing process.

“My hope is that by removing a symbol that divides us, we can move forward as a state in harmony and we can honor the nine blessed souls who are now in heaven,” she said.

Haley said she would use her authority as governor to force the General Assembly back into session if they did not have a debate over the removal of the flag.

I think she is full of shit about how "most South Carolinians" view the flag.

Duty? WTF is she even talking about.

Just tear it down, already!!
Yippie! Hooray for meaningless symbolic gestures that do nothing to address the problems of racism in this country.

I say she's flailing after her stupidity about not flying the con flag at half mast. But if she is sincere, kudos to her.
She couldn't fly it at half mast.
there is no mechanism to lower it to half mast.
It has 2 positions, up, and down.

It takes a 2/3s vote by the General Assembly to move it from one position to the other.

All the governor can do is REQUEST they take that vote.
And she didn't even do that. Personally I would have gone out and lit it on fire if I were her and taken my lumps.
Legislatively, her hands are tied.

Why do fools wants to flaunt the laws?
She couldn't open her mouth and say hey, why don't you people get off your asses and take that flag down?

Seriously?

You don't pay attention to the subject you mouth off on?

The General Assembly is in the midst of budget deliberations that have to be finished before any other matter can be considered.

She's a Governor, not an Empress and has to fo9llow protocol.

(Put down the Archie comic book, and watch the news for a change)
Ah, so you are telling me Republicans are unable to do a simple little vote. Cool.

It takes a 2/3s vote by the General Assembly to move it from one position to the other.

And she didn't even do that. Personally I would have gone out and lit it on fire if I were her and taken my lumps.

She couldn't open her mouth and say hey, why don't you people get off your asses and take that flag down?

Seriously?

The General Assembly is in the midst of budget deliberations that have to be finished before any other matter can be considered.

Ah, so you are telling me Republicans are unable to do a simple little vote. Cool.

No, I'm telling you they have/had priorities.

I've heard people say a woman is built like a brick shithouse...

You remind me more of a brick wall

Seriously?

There's nothing you can post that will convince me that they were powerless to lower that flag.

I say she's flailing after her stupidity about not flying the con flag at half mast. But if she is sincere, kudos to her.

That's what hitler would have done, too.

Seriously?

There's nothing you can post that will convince me that they were powerless to lower that flag.

Are you saying facts don't mean anything to you?

th

Get real. He would have flown the confederate flag. He hated black people as much as our cons do.

Seriously?

Are you saying facts don't mean anything to you?

th
There is no fact that made it impossible for that flag to come down.

Another freedom lost to liberal PC nonsense. ...... :cool:

A little history lesson on the flying of the Confederate Battle Flag at South Carolina State Capitol, first flown as the Battle Flag of the Army of Northern of Virginia.
1 South Carolina seceded in 1860 with a declaration drafted by Christopher Memminger due "to increasing hostility on the part of non slave holding states to the institution of slavery"
2. South Carolinian secessionist Edmund Ruffin fired the first shot of the Civil War in Charleston, South Carolina
3. The Stars and Bars was flown as the rallying cry of Confederate troops.
3. The Civil War ended June 17, 1865 and Ruffin wrapped himself in the Confederate Battle Flag and blew his brains out.
4. The flags were folded up and kept in the closet and appropriately used at memorials or cemeteries for the brave men the pansy ass plantation owners sent to be slaughtered, the majority by hunger and disease and not battle.
5. There was no need to fly the flag for the next 70 years as Jim Crow reigned unchallenged. African Americans that challenged Jim Crow hung by nooses from tall trees
6. In the late 1940s the Dixiecrats revolted against Harry Truman when he desegregated the armed forces and supported anti lynching bills. The flag was once again waved at their opposition rallies. At the Democratic convention in July 1948 9 southern states backed our Senator Richard Russell over Truman and Confederate Battle Flags were waving to the sound of Dixie. Later in Birmingham Alabama they nominated Strom Thurmond of South Carolina. Sales of the Battle Flag exploded in the south.
7. Over the next decade the flag was a staple of Klan rallies.
8. In 1961 South Carolina in defiance to being forced to integrate their schools took out the Confederate Battle Flag that had not flown on state property in 79 years and flew it to show their support of segregation and separate but equal.

What in the hell is wrong with allowing black kids to go to white schools and end segregation? That is why the flag was flown after 79 years and that is why it should be taken down. I have no problems with memorials and cemetery respect for the Confederate soldiers that fell and were abandoned by the wealthy plantation class that ran an entire economic system on slave labor.
You just demonstrated the bigoted selective reference of bastardized use of the flag while disregarding its actual heritage.

Uh, the thread is the flying of the flag at SC State Capitol which has nothing to do with heritage.
If it had anything to do with heritage how come SC never flew that flag from 1865-1961.
I am as southern as it gets, born and raised in deep south and lived here for all of my 60+ years.
Your bunk about the flying of the stars and bars at SC State Capitol because of heritage is steaming Bull Shit.
Heritage is when we bring the flag out for ceremonies at memorials and cemeteries for our fallen who the Confederate leaders, not their military, sent to starve to death and die of disease.
I know heritage and also know South Carolina brought it back in 1961 after 96 years because of their opposition to integration.
Claiming that was heritage is selective bastardized use of what really happened.
The official reason for raising the flag in 1961 was to celebrate the centennial of South Carolina's secession and independence from Britain II. The presumed reason was in defiance of the civil rights movement. Bottom line, nothing official about that defiance and the flag represents more than that presumed defiance but rather a significant legacy. Book burning is not the way to go. You should aim your angst at those who misuse the legacy instead of silencing people the way nazis do.

Get real. He would have flown the confederate flag. He hated black people as much as our cons do.
Even a broken clock is right once in a while.

But he would have silenced and destroyed those people and elements that he was opposed to. Just like democrats today.

But he would have silenced and destroyed those people and elements that he was opposed to. Just like democrats today.
He did silence and destroy those he disagreed with. Jews, liberals, blacks, communists, etc. And he mandated hate speech against all of those groups. Which is what you are currently trying to do.

Good luck with that.

He did silence and destroy those he disagreed with. Jews, liberals, blacks, communists, etc. And he mandated hate speech against all of those groups. Which is what you are currently trying to do.

Good luck with that.
I'm mandating nothing but free speech. You are closemindedly advocating censorship. You apply your left wing standard and want that to be law.
That is nazi-esque.

Good luck with that.
I'm mandating nothing but free speech. You are closemindedly advocating censorship. You apply your left wing standard and want that to be law.
That is nazi-esque.
Free speech means the government can't underwrite a viewpoint that is against a portion of the population. Flying the con flag on government property does just that, as would flying a nazi flag.

Good luck with that.
That is nazi-esque.
Free speech means the government can't underwrite a viewpoint that is against a portion of the population. Flying the con flag on government property does just that, as would flying a nazi flag.
Free speech means people can't stifle others' speech. Regardless of whether they're offended or not. The confederate flag is not hate speech. Your ilk are propagating it as such. Forcing a closeminded take on that flag would be stifling free speech. This is all a manifestation of democrat strong-arm fascism. Nothing else.

Good luck with that.
That is nazi-esque.
Free speech means people can't stifle others' speech. Regardless of whether they're offended or not. The confederate flag is not hate speech. Your ilk are propagating it as such. Forcing a closeminded take on that flag would be stifling free speech. This is all a manifestation of democrat strong-arm fascism. Nothing else.
The con flag is hate speech and freedom of speech means the government cannot underwrite hate speech. No flag should be flown on government property that is not a flag of the government whether it be state, city, or country.

Forum List

Back