Got some chickens today!

I've never had a problem with roosters killing the chicks, but I have heard of it happening. It may depend on how well the flock get along and how long they've been together, etc. I have had more trouble with the hens......in one flock several hens all went broody (instinct to sit eggs) within a week and as the chicks started hatching they pecked them to death. That whole flock ended up in the soup pot.
Right now I have a hen that sat a clutch of eggs and has since hatched (Nov 7/8), but I do keep the babies & Mama in a small separate coop so they can grow out a bit before introducing them to the rest of the flock. There are plenty of great and inexpensive ideas for tractors......including using a truck canopy that has slide windows for air circulation, it works great as a temporary grow out pen when baby chicks are involved......just gotta be careful of any burrowing type predators.

Yes racoons will kill chickens just for sport, rats, fox, coyotes and a number of other predators including birds of prey......hawks, eagles, etc. can kill or maim chicks & adult chickens...…..depending on how big your fenced in area is, you might look into some type of netting over the top....to keep the chickens in and predators out. If the area is too large to cover, and no trees then put something in the area so the chickens can duck under it when a hawk or eagle is nearby...We do have hawks & eagles around here, but since we live in a neighborhood, only have a backyard with sheds & fruit trees we've not had any come into our yard cause there just isn't room for them to fly out AND anytime they've been flying overhead in search of a snack, any of our chickens have heard and run for cover.

Depending on how tall your fence is.....you may need to clip their wings or they can flutter/fly over the top and escape. I have had a couple of birds over the years get over our 6ft fence, though they were of a smaller breed. I now have Orpington and Marans and the Orps are too fat in the butt to flutter that high once they are about 8 months...….before that, it is possible. Just remember the smaller the bird, the higher they can flutter/fly.
To cut their wings.....only do one side, not both.....it will make them lopsided. Holding the bird in one arm, spread out the wing and with scissors start cutting about 3-4 inches in.....it's kinda like cutting fingernails and the wings will grow back.

If you use poultry wire....just know baby chicks can squeeze thru and once separated from Mama, all hell breaks lose......baby chicks can get loud and Mama will nearly screech bloody murder until they're reunited. But really you probably won't have to worry about chicks until next spring, if at all. Not all hens will go broody or sit and spend their whole life popping out an egg whenever they feel like it.

Most chickens go thru a yearly molt......they lose feathers and stop or slow down laying. This is their rest or vacation time...….unless you chose to provide heat & light to the coop that forces them to continue laying. The feathers will grow back and they will start laying again, usually after the first of the year, but could be sooner. Some chickens lay thru the winter, it all depends on breed and the individual chicken. Chickens are very hardy and can live just fine without added heat except in extreme cold areas. But the coop should have some kind of air ventilation either a small window or holes....to prevent frostbite on their combs & wattles.
In my coop, I use deep litter method......which is to provide a thick layer of bedding (straw, hay, shavings, shredded paper, etc) that they poop on, then will dig, scratch & turn under.....that helps it to decompose (makes compost) that gives off some natural heat. Keep adding a layer (couple inches) every few weeks or so until it's 18-24 inches deep or more. I clean it all out around Feb & Sept or so and dump it all on the garden to let it rest, then turn it under and its ready to plant by April. Yes chicken poop can burn your garden plants if you put fresh poo directly on or near plants, but with deep litter....the chickens have already done half the work of making compost. When I clean it all out, then I start a new fresh layer 4-6 inches in the coop, then just keep adding to it. I also throw in wood ashes from our stove. That and the constant turning, help to keep down the smell.

Kitchen scraps meat, grass, weeds, dandelions, stale bread & cereals....chickens will eat pretty much anything. They need protein and calcium for eggs.....along with plenty of fresh water. Free protein? Dig them some worms & bugs, they love em. You can also feed eggs back to them, including the shells...…..but you have to disquise it. Scramble & cook the eggs, mix in some rice or cereal or whatever you have. If any hens start laying soft shelled eggs, they need calcium. You can either buy oyster shell to give or dry their eggshells in the oven for a bit & starting to turn brown, then run thru a blender to powder and add to their feed. Also many hard shelled bugs like beetles are both protein and calcium.

Chickens can be a big pain in the butt, but they are also the best entertainment. Want a good laugh? Throw out one grape to the flock. One will snatch it up and the others will chase her around until either someone gets tired or you throw out more:badgrin:

babies 1.jpg
babies 2.jpg

I've never had a problem with roosters killing the chicks, but I have heard of it happening. It may depend on how well the flock get along and how long they've been together, etc. I have had more trouble with the hens......in one flock several hens all went broody (instinct to sit eggs) within a week and as the chicks started hatching they pecked them to death. That whole flock ended up in the soup pot.
Right now I have a hen that sat a clutch of eggs and has since hatched (Nov 7/8), but I do keep the babies & Mama in a small separate coop so they can grow out a bit before introducing them to the rest of the flock. There are plenty of great and inexpensive ideas for tractors......including using a truck canopy that has slide windows for air circulation, it works great as a temporary grow out pen when baby chicks are involved......just gotta be careful of any burrowing type predators.

Yes racoons will kill chickens just for sport, rats, fox, coyotes and a number of other predators including birds of prey......hawks, eagles, etc. can kill or maim chicks & adult chickens...…..depending on how big your fenced in area is, you might look into some type of netting over the top....to keep the chickens in and predators out. If the area is too large to cover, and no trees then put something in the area so the chickens can duck under it when a hawk or eagle is nearby...We do have hawks & eagles around here, but since we live in a neighborhood, only have a backyard with sheds & fruit trees we've not had any come into our yard cause there just isn't room for them to fly out AND anytime they've been flying overhead in search of a snack, any of our chickens have heard and run for cover.

Depending on how tall your fence is.....you may need to clip their wings or they can flutter/fly over the top and escape. I have had a couple of birds over the years get over our 6ft fence, though they were of a smaller breed. I now have Orpington and Marans and the Orps are too fat in the butt to flutter that high once they are about 8 months...….before that, it is possible. Just remember the smaller the bird, the higher they can flutter/fly.
To cut their wings.....only do one side, not both.....it will make them lopsided. Holding the bird in one arm, spread out the wing and with scissors start cutting about 3-4 inches in.....it's kinda like cutting fingernails and the wings will grow back.

If you use poultry wire....just know baby chicks can squeeze thru and once separated from Mama, all hell breaks lose......baby chicks can get loud and Mama will nearly screech bloody murder until they're reunited. But really you probably won't have to worry about chicks until next spring, if at all. Not all hens will go broody or sit and spend their whole life popping out an egg whenever they feel like it.

Most chickens go thru a yearly molt......they lose feathers and stop or slow down laying. This is their rest or vacation time...….unless you chose to provide heat & light to the coop that forces them to continue laying. The feathers will grow back and they will start laying again, usually after the first of the year, but could be sooner. Some chickens lay thru the winter, it all depends on breed and the individual chicken. Chickens are very hardy and can live just fine without added heat except in extreme cold areas. But the coop should have some kind of air ventilation either a small window or holes....to prevent frostbite on their combs & wattles.
In my coop, I use deep litter method......which is to provide a thick layer of bedding (straw, hay, shavings, shredded paper, etc) that they poop on, then will dig, scratch & turn under.....that helps it to decompose (makes compost) that gives off some natural heat. Keep adding a layer (couple inches) every few weeks or so until it's 18-24 inches deep or more. I clean it all out around Feb & Sept or so and dump it all on the garden to let it rest, then turn it under and its ready to plant by April. Yes chicken poop can burn your garden plants if you put fresh poo directly on or near plants, but with deep litter....the chickens have already done half the work of making compost. When I clean it all out, then I start a new fresh layer 4-6 inches in the coop, then just keep adding to it. I also throw in wood ashes from our stove. That and the constant turning, help to keep down the smell.

Kitchen scraps meat, grass, weeds, dandelions, stale bread & cereals....chickens will eat pretty much anything. They need protein and calcium for eggs.....along with plenty of fresh water. Free protein? Dig them some worms & bugs, they love em. You can also feed eggs back to them, including the shells...…..but you have to disquise it. Scramble & cook the eggs, mix in some rice or cereal or whatever you have. If any hens start laying soft shelled eggs, they need calcium. You can either buy oyster shell to give or dry their eggshells in the oven for a bit & starting to turn brown, then run thru a blender to powder and add to their feed. Also many hard shelled bugs like beetles are both protein and calcium.

Chickens can be a big pain in the butt, but they are also the best entertainment. Want a good laugh? Throw out one grape to the flock. One will snatch it up and the others will chase her around until either someone gets tired or you throw out more:badgrin:
Some great information thanks! Yeah already had the smaller one fly out and up into a tree...that was fun getting it down and back in the pen...so now tomorrow is gonna be spent either using the tarp to cover it or trying to figure out someway to nail plywood across the top of the pen...got some chainlink and some chicken wire fencing I can use as well...

Some great information thanks! Yeah already had the smaller one fly out and up into a tree...that was fun getting it down and back in the pen...so now tomorrow is gonna be spent either using the tarp to cover it or trying to figure out someway to nail plywood across the top of the pen...got some chainlink and some chicken wire fencing I can use as well...

Go out there tonight while it's dark with a flashlight and cut one wing on each bird. Spread it out as far as it will go so you can see it better to know that you won't cut it too short & hurt the bird, they won't be able to fly then....but also if you don't cut it short enough then they will still fly.....and keep them locked up tomorrow so they get to know where home is.....after that when you let them out, they will go back to the coop for the night on their own.

Once they figure out humans equal food or goodies, they'll follow you around looking for handouts too...…….it's a great way to get them back in the coop if you need to during the day.

Another thought...…..how many nest boxes do you have for the hens to lay in?

Was just going to say, that no matter how many boxes you have....and even though it's recommended to have a box for every 3 hens...…..I'll bet you anything, they'll all use the same box, whether they stand in line or crowd in together. And there is usually atleast one hold out, that doesn't lay....usually the lowest of the pecking order.

Also put a fence around your garden.....let the birds in there during the winter & throw out some feed or scraps and they'll help prep it for spring planting by digging, scratching and fertilizing it...….but come spring a couple of weeks to a month before you plant, don't let them back in until next fall after the garden is done...or they will eat every seed, start, plant & fruit/veggie out there. Nothing is more frustrating that patiently waiting for your first ripe tomato, only to find a bunch of peck holes in it, or all your cucumber flowers destroyed, or peas & beans devoured. Lettuce? Cabbage? Gone or munched beyond repair. Or they'll happily scratch down a spot so they can dust bathe right in the middle of your corn patch that is now uprooted because of it. :mad:
Once you've locked them out of the garden for the planting season......dump the dirty litter from the coop and turn it all under with a shovel or tiller and let it sit to finish composting...…….or you can dump it in a pile to the side and after you've prepped & planted, use that dirty litter as a mulch in the bed & around the plants to keep down on weeds and keep the soil from drying out. If you worry about it burning your plants, put down some fresh clean straw first, then put the litter on top of that......when you water &/or it rains...the fertilizer (poop) will break down thru the mulch layers.

You can feed the chickens stuff from the garden as well......squash guts & strings (save the seeds for roasting for snacks), tomatoes with bad spots (black spots on the blossom end is called blossom end rot and is from not enough water or calcium---plant toms with egg shells and water deeply to avoid rot spots), cucumbers that got too big & yellow...…...feeding corn or spent corn cobs helps create body heat (starch/carbs = fat = body heat) and is a great treat in the winter.

Sorry, didn't mean to rattle on, but as you can tell...I like chickens & gardens. Been raising & learning about chickens for 10 years (did turkeys for the first time this year & tasted great) and gardening for 30+ years.

6. Its an actual nesting box. Gonna go out today and figure out how to make sure they don't fly out. Guess easiest part is to just clip their wings on one side...just looked that up looks pretty simple. I got some 4x4x8 posts I am gonna put in the ground and put a roof over the entire area we built with plywood or tin this week as well.

Forum List

Back