Got some chickens today!

Preacher

Gold Member
Jan 29, 2015
Georgia Mountains
So when we moved to our new place,its an acre of land right outside city limits wife wanted chickens so over the past 2 months we built a chicken house and fenced in an area for them and a friend gave us 6 chickens and a rooster today got 5 different kinds of chickens only one I am sure of is a Rhode Island red...got 2 black ones,1 is pure white,1 is white and bluish specs on it and its smaller than the rest,1 is gray and white and the rooster is all kinds of colors...anyone else got farm animals? I am looking into some pigs now...got the supplies to build pig pen etc but I want to breed them at first and sell the piglets not really use them for meat at first...really want some Scottish Highlander cows but not enough land right now.

So when we moved to our new place,its an acre of land right outside city limits wife wanted chickens so over the past 2 months we built a chicken house and fenced in an area for them and a friend gave us 6 chickens and a rooster today got 5 different kinds of chickens only one I am sure of is a Rhode Island red...got 2 black ones,1 is pure white,1 is white and bluish specs on it and its smaller than the rest,1 is gray and white and the rooster is all kinds of colors...anyone else got farm animals? I am looking into some pigs now...got the supplies to build pig pen etc but I want to breed them at first and sell the piglets not really use them for meat at first...really want some Scottish Highlander cows but not enough land right now.

You're going to need a chicken tractor.

Lol what is that? I want a tractor BADLY! The back yard is terraced and very hilly and its a pain in the butt to cut with a lawnmower...

Get some goats. They’ll keep it manicured.
Brush Control Using Goats - Goats and Nutrition - GoatWorld.Com

Lol what is that? I want a tractor BADLY! The back yard is terraced and very hilly and its a pain in the butt to cut with a lawnmower...

Feed them a varied diet...the eggs will be delicious with yolks the color of a blood orange...yummy...

Chicken tractor - Wikipedia

Mainly you'll need one for the chicks, because roosters will kill them, and coons try to get them, too.

Get some goats. They’ll keep it manicured.
Brush Control Using Goats - Goats and Nutrition - GoatWorld.Com

I wanted to buy I can't afford the fencing right now...big back yard...got lot of wood to build pens etc though I really want to fence the back yard in though. Going to start a garden in the spring.

Keep bandaides..........when you try to harvest the eggs...............LOL
Yep! my 6 year old got pecked earlier trying to feed them from her hand lol
Feed them a varied diet...the eggs will be delicious with yolks the color of a blood orange...yummy...

Thanks for the tip! I got a 50 pound bag of feed earlier...see how that goes...threw some uneaten sweet potato's down there and they were eating those as well.

Keep bandaides..........when you try to harvest the eggs...............LOL
Yep! my 6 year old got pecked earlier trying to feed them from her hand lol

Thanks for the tip! I got a 50 pound bag of feed earlier...see how that goes...threw some uneaten sweet potato's down there and they were eating those as well.
Kitchen vegetable scraps along with feed....Great!...:113:

My dream is a farm to work. Every animal imaginable for a farm. Wife in the kitchen where she LOVES to be and kids helping on the farm and then in school. Nothing makes me happier than doing work outside building something or fixing the land up. I have fond memories of my grandfathers 35 acre farm. He just had goats and cows.

My dream is a farm to work. Every animal imaginable for a farm. Wife in the kitchen where she LOVES to be and kids helping on the farm and then in school. Nothing makes me happier than doing work outside building something or fixing the land up. I have fond memories of my grandfathers 35 acre farm. He just had goats and cows.

I'd love to do that!..... have a huge piece of land....keep a few farm animals but many dogs and all sort of creatures that the world rejects and doesn't want! so I can give them all the love they deserve!

what an amazing dream!:2up:

I'd love to do that!..... have a huge piece of land....keep a few farm animals but many dogs and all sort of creatures that the world rejects and doesn't want! so I can give them all the love they deserve!

My wife wants a farm full of Great Danes. lol. Those things eat more than 4 kids do! My brother breeds them in fact his female JUST had puppies like 2 weeks ago.

Mmmmm... Fresh eggs in the morning!

My wife wants a farm full of Great Danes. lol. Those things eat more than 4 kids do! My brother breeds them in fact his female JUST had puppies like 2 weeks ago.

I've never seen Great Danes puppies! they must be totally adorable!:biggrin:

Born to be Great DANES

They had some videos there of them

Born to be Great DANES

OMG! they are so sweet!!!!!!!!!!! thank you for posting!!!!:2up:

Born to be Great DANES

15 total. I remember going over to see them but momma was NOT in a happy mood lol...He has 3 grown Great Danes he used to have 2 English Bulldogs and tried to breed them but never had any puppies...

Born to be Great DANES

15 total. I remember going over to see them but momma was NOT in a happy mood lol...He has 3 grown Great Danes he used to have 2 English Bulldogs and tried to breed them but never had any puppies...

15 lil sweethearts.....that will grow to be huge......hehehee.....that's why a huge property is needed!!!!

one gets used to them...you see? ....:eusa_angel: hard to let them go....:10:

Forum List

Back