GOP working on legislation to strip Twitter of federal liability protections

Twitter does not have the right to censor political posts simply because it disagrees with the content.

Being a private organization, it most certainly does. The first amendment only applies to government agencies.

You're just lucky Twitter bends over backwards and lets Trump constantly violate its TOS. Any other person doing what Trump would be quickly banned. You're biting the hand that feeds you here.

They are violating the very laws by which they are allowed to conduct business as social media.

And what specific law is this?

the media always has the last word, and it can pick and chose how it covers Trump, his statements and his deeds.
At least you recognize the media as fake with this statement even though you may not realize it.

They can CHOOSE how to report.....

So essentially you admit that they can put any spin on it they like.
Remember when news was just news? No slant, minimal bias....just straight reporting.
When was news just news with no slant and just straight news with minimal bias?

Well, it started getting sticky when Ronald Reagan repealed the Fairness Doctrine in 1987.
The FD required that news agencies and journalism provide equal time to a political topic or politician.
So if say "Meet the Press" or a newspaper article interviewed a Republican, then they had to give equal time to a Democrat.
That only meant sides could have competing "slants".

That meant that both sides could present their slanted views in the same venue.
Reagan gave us Hannity, Carlson, Rush Limbaugh, Laura Ingraham when he repealed the Fairness Doctrine.
Not many people know about the Fairness Doctrine so I'm glad you brought it up. It's arguably the most damaging thing Reagan did to the country in terms of its lasting effect.

It is a little known concept for libtards called "freedom of speech"!

So restricting Twitters' speech is freedom of speech?

Trump cultists used to at least pretend to not be Stalinists. The've stopped pretending. Now, they want to shut down any speech that doesn't praise DearLeader.
Twitter can be a forum or they can report and publish the news....you can't do both...especially in a biased way....

They aren't trying to do both.
Twitter has never presented itself as a news outlet.
It's called SOCIAL MEDIA, idiot.
The reason they are tacking notices to DiaperLoad Donnie's posts is because his account is held by the POTUS and can be MISCONSTRUED as news by their users.
If they are going to fact check posts they need to fact check evenly and fairly....even Fakebook agrees with me....

but they can do so without tax dollars or protections
Facebook will pay the largest civil penalty by anyone anywhere ever in a privacy case.
The $5 billion settlement is one for the record books. It’s the largest civil penalty ever imposed on a company for violating consumers’ privacy and it’s one of the largest penalties assessed by the U.S. government for a violation of any kind....the $5 billion, by law, it goes to the general fund of the U.S. Treasury. It does not go to the FTC.

I did a search, but I didn't find anything where the government is giving tax payer dollars to FB.

Lol.
We are in the midst of a pandemic. The U.S. has nearly a third of the world's confirmed cases. The U.S. has nearly a third of the world's deaths from the virus.

What is our President doing?

He is attacking Twitter.

Trump got hostile when Twitter attempted to correct Trump's outright lies in a tweet.

Trump on Thursday is set to sign an executive order that could open the door for federal regulators to punish Facebook, Google and Twitter for the way they police content online.

Trump prefers Twitter allow his lies to stand unchallenged.

The Post writes, "Trump has portrayed the expected order, the early details of which were first reported by The Washington Post late Wednesday, as an attempt to stamp out political bias on the part of the country’s largest social media platforms. His directive comes days after Twitter steered viewers of some of the president’s tweets to news articles that fact-checked his claims, a move Trump said was a form of censorship.

"But advocates for the tech sector, lawmakers in Congress and a variety of legal experts from across the political spectrum Thursday doubted the legality of Trump’s draft proposal and feared its implications for free speech. Others questioned whether the U.S. government even could carry out the order as the president intended."

Trump has been stupid enough to make the news media the enemy, calling it "fake news." That is beyond stupid because the media always has the last word, and it can pick and chose how it covers Trump, his statements and his deeds.

Now the fool is taking on the tech sector, which may have even more influence on how Americans think.

In the meantime, over 100,000 Americans have died from the coronavirus.
Lol... too funny ... someone had their tds pen filled with ink and ready to go . Lol... you are correct about .00072% of the time . Why not move to china where you belong . Tell us about russian collusion again . You aint fooling anyone around here. Anti American as one can be .

If they are going to fact check posts they need to fact check evenly and fairly....even Fakebook agrees with me....

Indeed. That means Trump's ravings need to be fact-checked and corrected far, far more often. Facebook and Twitter have been allowing Trump to lie openly without correction for far too long.

but they can do so without tax dollars or protections
Facebook will pay the largest civil penalty by anyone anywhere ever in a privacy case.
The $5 billion settlement is one for the record books. It’s the largest civil penalty ever imposed on a company for violating consumers’ privacy and it’s one of the largest penalties assessed by the U.S. government for a violation of any kind....the $5 billion, by law, it goes to the general fund of the U.S. Treasury. It does not go to the FTC.

I did a search, but I didn't find anything where the government is giving tax payer dollars to FB.
You must have missed my comment earlier where I said the govt gives Twitter - and pother social media companies - money and/ OR protection from their consequences (special status under federal law - Section 230).

Section 230 protects social media platforms from facing lawsuits over what users post.
If this goes through I'll initially set the over-under percentage of users banned here at USMB at 50%. Too low? Too High?
We're all anonymous. Who is going to sue USMB?
Is USMB included in those who get the special status under federal law - Section 230?

I don't see where my2¢ mentioned anyone suing USMB, only talking about users / people getting 'banned'.

Indeed. That means Trump's ravings need to be fact-checked and corrected far, far more often. Facebook and Twitter have been allowing Trump to lie openly without correction for far too long.
Both sides evenly...if they are going to fact check it needs to be across the board...Twitter has set themselves up for libel suits....

Both sides evenly...if they are going to fact check it needs to be across the board...Twitter has set themselves up for libel suits....
Twitter is under no obligarion to be fair or impartial. Our first amendment allows them to be as unfair as they want.

Twitter is under no obligarion to be fair or impartial. Our first amendment allows them to be as unfair as they want.
Until they begin to fact check...then all of what you said changes....look up Senator Rubio's comments from yesterday....Twitter made a huge blunder....

He's doing exactly what he was hired to do....Spend his days bitch-slapping the living fuck out of the fucked in the head filthy Left...Simple shit.
That isn't the president's job............but I understand acting like a authoritarian, partisan, hack with no regard for the beliefs of over half the citizens in the country is why you love him.

That's this presidents job...he was elected to shut down beaners and stop the Left from morphing this nation into one giant Mexifornia.

Section 230 protects social media platforms from facing lawsuits over what users post.
If this goes through I'll initially set the over-under percentage of users banned here at USMB at 50%. Too low? Too High?
We're all anonymous. Who is going to sue USMB?

Section 230 protects social media platforms from facing lawsuits over what users post. Without that protection these media boards themselves become legally responsible for what is posted. A political party could have squads of volunteers reviewing social content and forwarding anything questionable to their legal team who could easily make life hell for the platforms.

Upon further thought I'm likening this Republicans threat to be similar to action often taken when a city loses a sport franchise. The congressional representative of the city losing the team will huff and puff about congress doing away with the sport's anti-monopoly exclusion but nothing ever comes of it.

Gaetz is virtue signaling. His little hissy fit has no chance at doing anything.

Second, if his bill did pass, the result would be the immediate removal of Trump from the platform.

The sole intention of this episode is to intimidate Twitter like the thugs they are.
Like what LGBTQRSTUVs do with bakeries? Intimidate them like the thugs they are?
This has nothing to do with that
So legislation has nothing to do with other legislation built off the same premise?
Lol ok
The rationale for public accommodation laws does not apply to social media websites.

This is not the same premise.
Guess you need to contact webster and have him redefine what a business is, because you are wrong at this point.

A few big problems for you. First, public accommodation laws don’t apply to every business. Second, public accommodation laws don’t apply to discrimination based on political views. Third, this is not an instance of discrimination based solely on political view even if that were possible.

They are acting as the arbiter of what should be fact checked. That is a subjective understanding and is editorializing. They are, indeed, subject to Liabel now and the Prez is making sure of it. Nice job Trump!

Hmm....So you now support elected officials using their office to punish their perceived political enemies? Curious.

The only thing 'curious' is how you got the ridiculous bullshit you wrote above from Republicans taking action to protect / defend Free Speech and ensure the govt does not offer protection from accountability to private companies attempting to prevent the equal /fair exchange of ideas and discussion.

Oh wait - it's not curious at all. It all makes sense:

View attachment 342108

:p
Sure. Protect the "free speech" of the president.

It is curious that you either don't see it or you're fine with it. Curious because you lost your shit when you thought Obama did that with the IRS. You're still losing your shit over Obamagate.
Yet here you are cheering for legislstors to change laws for no other reason than to accomodate the president while at the same time, punishing his enemies.

"Terms of service"

They set the rules. It's the way of the internet world. I can't even call you dopes, dopes without the Mods deleting my posts.

Their own TOS does not justify the US govt protecting them from accountability while they prevent free / fair discussions and exchanges of ALL ideas....

Let's see how committed they are to their ideals / actions / TOS when that protection is removed.
Let's see how committed they are to their ideals / actions / TOS when that protection is removed.
Sure. No political revenge suggested at all.

Dope.

We are in the midst of a pandemic. The U.S. has nearly a third of the world's confirmed cases. The U.S. has nearly a third of the world's deaths from the virus.

What is our President doing?

He is attacking Twitter.

Trump got hostile when Twitter attempted to correct Trump's outright lies in a tweet.

Trump on Thursday is set to sign an executive order that could open the door for federal regulators to punish Facebook, Google and Twitter for the way they police content online.

Trump prefers Twitter allow his lies to stand unchallenged.

The Post writes, "Trump has portrayed the expected order, the early details of which were first reported by The Washington Post late Wednesday, as an attempt to stamp out political bias on the part of the country’s largest social media platforms. His directive comes days after Twitter steered viewers of some of the president’s tweets to news articles that fact-checked his claims, a move Trump said was a form of censorship.

"But advocates for the tech sector, lawmakers in Congress and a variety of legal experts from across the political spectrum Thursday doubted the legality of Trump’s draft proposal and feared its implications for free speech. Others questioned whether the U.S. government even could carry out the order as the president intended."

Trump has been stupid enough to make the news media the enemy, calling it "fake news." That is beyond stupid because the media always has the last word, and it can pick and chose how it covers Trump, his statements and his deeds.

Now the fool is taking on the tech sector, which may have even more influence on how Americans think.

In the meantime, over 100,000 Americans have died from the coronavirus.

Some people can walk and talk at the same time too. It's flabbergasting that someone can do more than one thing during the day. I can't pick my nose and fart at the same time. Frustrating indeed.

Gaetz is virtue signaling. His little hissy fit has no chance at doing anything.

Second, if his bill did pass, the result would be the immediate removal of Trump from the platform.

The sole intention of this episode is to intimidate Twitter like the thugs they are.
Like what LGBTQRSTUVs do with bakeries? Intimidate them like the thugs they are?
This has nothing to do with that
So legislation has nothing to do with other legislation built off the same premise?
Lol ok
The rationale for public accommodation laws does not apply to social media websites.

This is not the same premise.
Guess you need to contact webster and have him redefine what a business is, because you are wrong at this point.

A few big problems for you. First, public accommodation laws don’t apply to every business. Second, public accommodation laws don’t apply to discrimination based on political views. Third, this is not an instance of discrimination based solely on political view even if that were possible.

They are acting as the arbiter of what should be fact checked. That is a subjective understanding and is editorializing. They are, indeed, subject to Liabel now and the Prez is making sure of it. Nice job Trump!
Insofar as their “fact check” was Twitter’s own speech, yes they are subject to liability for their own statements. You don’t need any changes for that. If Trump wants to sue then for their statement because it was libelous he’s welcome.

But it’ll be thrown out pretty quickly.

Forum List

Back