GOP reps announce constitutional amendment to keep Supreme Court at 9

I don't think voters are up for amendments of any kind at this time. The vast majority doesn't trust politicians, and they especially don't trust media.

What with the mood the Americans are in after a year of Covid nonsense, I wouldn't shake the tree too much.

GOP reps announce constitutional amendment to keep Supreme Court at 9 'before it's too late'
What a waste of time. The GOP have no power to pass anything let alone a constitution amendment. There’s our tax dollars at work. How do we dock the pay for these clowns?

Maybe you explain why we need 4 more justices in SCOTUS?
I don’t think we need 4 more. I think Obama got ripped off by McConnell but that’s history. I would support better defining the nomination process so that shit can’t happen again

What shit happened that you think needs changed?
The president gets to nominate justices. Obama should of had his appointment. This election year BS is exactly that as we saw after RBG passed.

Obama had his nomination, after that he has no say in the matter, that was up to the Senate where there were NOT enough votes for that nomination to succeed, thus just sat on it instead. Obama being a moron didn't bother to nominate someone else, thus nothing happened.

There have been a few nominations that never gets acted on, that is a fact people don't realize. Nothing illegal happened the whole time.

RBG herself stated there is nothing wrong with a fast nomination process.
Ok so I guess any senate candidate can just sit on the next nomination the opposing party puts up till the next election. Great logic! I’ll call it. #IdiotLogic

You failed to realize that Garland never had the votes to make it, that is why McConnel sat on it, Obama should have tried again with another candidate but didn't even though he had plenty of time.

It has happened before, I went over this in detail when Judge Barrett was nominated, I stand by my previous post.
If Garland didn’t have the votes then fine. Vote no and then Obama can run the next nom

McConnel likes to show he is in command, but Obama let his open seat remain unfilled because he didn't try another nomination, a bad decision and he has no excuse since it was still an open seat, but he sat on it and let it slip away.

Obama didn't Fight to get that seat filled thus he got nothing,
The only person sitting was McConnell. Why would Obama nominate somebody else when the Senate isn’t holding a vote

The fact remains that Obama didn't fight for it, he let McConnel roll over him. If Barak had the brains he could have made McConnel the bad guy for stopping a second nomination process, that would have made a lot of difference then, but noooo he gave up and let the Republicans get away with it.

Not illegal at all, but stopping a second nomination for the same reason as the first would have been bad for the Republicans politically because it would be highly irregular and unethical.

I don't think voters are up for amendments of any kind at this time. The vast majority doesn't trust politicians, and they especially don't trust media.

What with the mood the Americans are in after a year of Covid nonsense, I wouldn't shake the tree too much.

GOP reps announce constitutional amendment to keep Supreme Court at 9 'before it's too late'
What a waste of time. The GOP have no power to pass anything let alone a constitution amendment. There’s our tax dollars at work. How do we dock the pay for these clowns?

I don’t think we need 4 more. I think Obama got ripped off by McConnell but that’s history. I would support better defining the nomination process so that shit can’t happen again

The president gets to nominate justices. Obama should of had his appointment. This election year BS is exactly that as we saw after RBG passed.

Obama had his nomination, after that he has no say in the matter, that was up to the Senate where there were NOT enough votes for that nomination to succeed, thus just sat on it instead. Obama being a moron didn't bother to nominate someone else, thus nothing happened.

There have been a few nominations that never gets acted on, that is a fact people don't realize. Nothing illegal happened the whole time.

Ok so I guess any senate candidate can just sit on the next nomination the opposing party puts up till the next election. Great logic! I’ll call it. #IdiotLogic

You failed to realize that Garland never had the votes to make it, that is why McConnel sat on it, Obama should have tried again with another candidate but didn't even though he had plenty of time.

It has happened before, I went over this in detail when Judge Barrett was nominated, I stand by my previous post.
Liar. That is not why McConnell sat on it. McConnell sat on it because he was not going to let Obama appoint a 3rd justice. He said so himself when he told Obama not to bother nominating anyone because they would not get a confirmation hearing. And his excuse was because it was an election year. Then McConnell does a 180 in 2020 and gives Trump's 3rd nominee a hearing and confirms her, not just in an election year, but about a week before an election.

Now while that was a bullshit thing to do, he was allowed to do it. Just like now. It would be a bullshit thing to add 4 Liberal justices to the Supreme Court, but Democrats are allowed to do it.

#PackTheBench

The Senate committee said so, McConnel went with it.:

"Sen. Mike Lee, R-Utah, a member of the Senate Judiciary Committee, said holding confirmation hearings for Garland would be "a waste of time."

"In light of the contentious presidential election already well underway, my colleagues and I on the Judiciary Committee have already given our advice and consent on this issue: we will not have any hearings or votes on President Obama’s pick," Lee said."

=====

The votes were not there for Garland.
Then vote no and bring on the next nom! It wasn’t about votes it was about denying obama a pick so they could get through the election. That’s been stated by those turds it’s not something to debate

It has happened before several times in the past where nominations don't get taken up at all, it just sits there,, but you ignore all that partisan history behind it.

:rolleyes:

If Garland didn’t have the votes then fine. Vote no and then Obama can run the next nom

McConnel likes to show he is in command, but Obama let his open seat remain unfilled because he didn't try another nomination, a bad decision and he has no excuse since it was still an open seat, but he sat on it and let it slip away.

The only person sitting was McConnell. Why would Obama nominate somebody else when the Senate isn’t holding a vote

The fact remains that Obama didn't fight for it, he let McConnel roll over him. If Barak had the brains he could have made McConnel the bad guy for stopping a second nomination process, that would have made a lot of difference then, but noooo he gave up and let the Republicans get away with it.

Not illegal at all, but stopping a second nomination for the same reason as the first would have been bad for the Republicans because it would be highly irregular and unethical.
I never called it illegal. I said they should make a law defining the process so that nonsense can’t happen again

Liar. That is not why McConnell sat on it. McConnell sat on it because he was not going to let Obama appoint a 3rd justice. He said so himself when he told Obama not to bother nominating anyone because they would not get a confirmation hearing. And his excuse was because it was an election year. Then McConnell does a 180 in 2020 and gives Trump's 3rd nominee a hearing and confirms her, not just in an election year, but about a week before an election.

Now while that was a bullshit thing to do, he was allowed to do it. Just like now. It would be a bullshit thing to add 4 Liberal justices to the Supreme Court, but Democrats are allowed to do it.

#PackTheBench

"Sen. Mike Lee, R-Utah, a member of the Senate Judiciary Committee, said holding confirmation hearings for Garland would be "a waste of time."

"In light of the contentious presidential election already well underway, my colleagues and I on the Judiciary Committee have already given our advice and consent on this issue: we will not have any hearings or votes on President Obama’s pick," Lee said."

=====

Then vote no and bring on the next nom! It wasn’t about votes it was about denying obama a pick so they could get through the election. That’s been stated by those turds it’s not something to debate

It has happened before several times in the past where nominations don't get taken up at all, it just sits there,, but you ignore all that partisan history behind it.

How am I ignoring that? Are you having a hard time comprehending simple English?

Not illegal at all, but stopping a second nomination for the same reason as the first would have been bad for the Republicans because it would be highly irregular and unethical.
I never called it illegal. I said they should make a law defining the process so that nonsense can’t happen again

It is already a defined nomination process, it is found in the constitution:

"Under Article II, Section 2, of the Constitution, the Supreme Court nomination process starts with the selection of a Supreme Court nominee by President Trump. The President then will officially notify the Senate of the nomination—usually via a written statement. This is related to the Constitution’s “Appointments Clause” in Article II, Section 2, Clause 2, which reads that the President “shall nominate, and by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, shall appoint … Judges of the supreme Court.”

Article I Section 5 of the Constitution allows both houses of Congress to create their own rules for proceedings, including the judicial confirmation process. And under the Senate’s current standing rules, the nomination is sent to the Senate Judiciary Committee, unless the nominee is a current or former Senate member."

Obama didn't fight to fill the seat because Hillary was supposed to win the election. RBG didn't step down while Obama was POTUS because she wanted Hillary to nominate her replacement, but that didn't happen because Hillary lost the election and never became POTUS.

#PackTheBench

=====

How am I ignoring that? Are you having a hard time comprehending simple English?

You forget what YOU wrote?

"Then vote no and bring on the next nom! It wasn’t about votes it was about denying obama a pick so they could get through the election. That’s been stated by those turds it’s not something to debate"

bolding mine

======

Here is what LEE said:

bolding mine

=====

There never going to be a vote at all, it was already decided, you moron!

You finally get it?

"Under Article II, Section 2, of the Constitution, the Supreme Court nomination process starts with the selection of a Supreme Court nominee by President Trump. The President then will officially notify the Senate of the nomination—usually via a written statement. This is related to the Constitution’s “Appointments Clause” in Article II, Section 2, Clause 2, which reads that the President “shall nominate, and by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, shall appoint … Judges of the supreme Court.”

Article I Section 5 of the Constitution allows both houses of Congress to create their own rules for proceedings, including the judicial confirmation process. And under the Senate’s current standing rules, the nomination is sent to the Senate Judiciary Committee, unless the nominee is a current or former Senate member."
are you slow and really not understanding what I’m saying or are you just trolling??

#PackTheBench

=====

You can't lie your way out of this. Folks know better than you. They were not going to hold a hearing no matter who Obama nominated because they claimed the principle about not holding confirmation hearings during an election year. That was with a Democrat president. Once we had a Republican president, McDonnell said, fuck that principle, let's replace a Liberal on the bench with a conservative.

"The American people should have a voice in the selection of their next Supreme Court Justice. Therefore, this vacancy should not be filled until we have a new president." ~ Mitch McConnell

"I can now confidently say the view shared by virtually everybody in my conference, is that the nomination should be made by the president the people elect in the election that's underway right now." ~ Mitch McConnell

"The decision the Senate made weeks ago remains about a principle, not a person." ~ Mitch McConnell

"One of my proudest moments was when I looked Barack Obama in the eye and I said, 'Mr. President, you will not fill the Supreme Court vacancy.'" ~ Mitch McConnell

Politics is a pendulum. McConnell had his day to fuck with the system; now the pendulum has swung back to favor Democrats. Now it's their turn.

#PackTheBench

are you slow and really not understanding what I’m saying or are you just trolling??

No it is YOU who hate being rationally answered.

#PackTheBench

=====

"Then vote no and bring on the next nom! It wasn’t about votes it was about denying obama a pick so they could get through the election. That’s been stated by those turds it’s not something to debate"

bolding mine

======

Here is what LEE said:

bolding mine

=====

You finally get it?
No shit!! That’s my whole point. You’re here blaming oBama for not putting somebody else up. That’s regarded given what you just wrote.

My stance is that what happened reflects a broken system that needs to be fixed. When I say vote no and nominate somebody else I’m saying how it should work. Why do I need to explain this to you? Like talking to a grade schooler

#PackTheBench

=====

You can't lie your way out of this. Folks know better than you. They were not going to hold a hearing no matter who Obama nominated because they claimed the principle about not holding confirmation hearings during an election year. That was with a Democrat president. Once we had a Republican president, McDonnell said, fuck that principle, let's replace a Liberal on the bench with a conservative.

"The American people should have a voice in the selection of their next Supreme Court Justice. Therefore, this vacancy should not be filled until we have a new president." ~ Mitch McConnell

"I can now confidently say the view shared by virtually everybody in my conference, is that the nomination should be made by the president the people elect in the election that's underway right now." ~ Mitch McConnell

"The decision the Senate made weeks ago remains about a principle, not a person." ~ Mitch McConnell

"One of my proudest moments was when I looked Barack Obama in the eye and I said, 'Mr. President, you will not fill the Supreme Court vacancy.'" ~ Mitch McConnell

Politics is a pendulum. McConnell had his day to fuck with the system; now the pendulum has swung back to favor Democrats. Now it's their turn.

#PackTheBench

You are an idiot since I showed that the Senate Committee who had the Majority control said NO hearings, no voting for Garland, from post 39:

=====

The votes were not there for Garland. "

======

I told the truth all along.

No it is YOU who hate being rationally answered.
I’m all about rational answers but you aren’t giving any.

#PackTheBench

=====

#PackTheBench

You are an idiot since I showed that the Senate Committee who had the Majority control said NO hearings, no voting for Garland, from post 39:

=====

======

Then why were you harping on Obama for not nominating anybody else?

#PackTheBench

=====

#PackTheBench

=====

======

It matters not if the votes were there or not. The Senate was not going to hold confirmation hearings no matter who Obama picked. You can't stop lying, can you?

#PackTheBench

=====

bolding mine

======

Here is what LEE said:

bolding mine

=====

You finally get it?
No shit!! That’s my whole point. You’re here blaming oBama for not putting somebody else up. That’s regarded given what you just wrote.

My stance is that what happened reflects a broken system that needs to be fixed. When I say vote no and nominate somebody else I’m saying how it should work. Why do I need to explain this to you? Like talking to a grade schooler

The Nomination process is fine, it worked well for 200 years, it isn't broken at all. Heck Reagans two picks were nearly unanimous just a few decades ago now we see Kavanaugh with a fine Judicial record squeak by because of partisan politics getting in the way. The problem began with the absurd Clarence Thomas nomination hearing that was all politics.

The problem is PARTISAN POLITICS, that is why it has become messed up.
You have not once showed me where I was wrong....... :oops-28:

The solution is drop the freaking politics and get back on the long successful nomination process.

#PackTheBench

=====

#PackTheBench

=====

======

Then why were you harping on Obama for not nominating anybody else?

I tire of trying to help you here, go study the HISTORY of the nomination process, there have been a few nominations that simply gets ignored (told you this fact twice already), the President eventually produce another nomination that gets voted on.

That is WHY I keep saying Obama should have tried nominating someone else.

#PackTheBench

=====

bolding mine

======

Here is what LEE said:

bolding mine

=====

You finally get it?

The Nomination process is fine, it worked well for 200 years, it isn't broken at all. Heck Reagans two picks were nearly unanimous just a few decades ago now we see Kavanaugh with a fine Judicial record squeak by because of partisan politics getting in the way. The problem began with the absurd Clarence Thomas nomination hearing that was all politics.

The problem is PARTISAN POLITICS, that is why it has become messed up.
You have not once showed me where I was wrong....... :oops-28:

The solution is drop the freaking politics and get back on the long successful nomination process.
Problem solved...

#PackTheBench

Forum List

Back