GOP DEBATE THREAD TONIGHT Weds. Sept. 7 MSNBC AT 8 p.m. EST

SS is not a ponzi scheme, lol, lord have mercy on these people! Im convinced the same peeps who call SS a ponzi scheme would be con'd in two shakes of a lamb's tail.

Both my parents are 65, live in Florida and happen to enjoy receiving the SS money that earned. Perry's comment is a joke at best, at worst, hes just stupid.

your understanding of how SS is set up is the real joke here fool!!!!

If you think that's a winning formula, run with it. And best of luck because you'll need it.

There is more to life than winning. The truth is one of those things more important than winning.

Not if you're the front-runner in the Republican polls.

"SS reform" = probably OK
"SS Ponzi scheme" = lose Florida

I guess you'd be right if the MSM got to describe what Perry would do to fix it. More seniors I know in FL watch FoxNews than MSNBC and CNN combined, so will get the full story.
I lived in South FL for 9 years. I think I'm qualified to judge that.

Thought I would start the thread--the GOP debate tonight--Wednesday--Sept. 7 at 8 p.m. EST.

From here I thought we could all post our comments for all who plan to watch this debate.

Whom were you impressed with and why?. What you didn't like that one of the candidates stated--etc. etc.

Makes for a good discussion anyway--so let's try and keep this thread going through-out the night.

THANKS!

So 1st question. Who is not going to watch it and why?

I will try and watch it If I can, if not I will watch a replay.
Dount count on any tough questions , MSNBC is now owned by big Bush supporter Comcast.

There is more to life than winning. The truth is one of those things more important than winning.

Not if you're the front-runner in the Republican polls.

"SS reform" = probably OK
"SS Ponzi scheme" = lose Florida

I guess you'd be right if the MSM got to describe what Perry would do to fix it. More seniors I know in FL watch FoxNews than MSNBC and CNN combined, so will get the full story.
I lived in South FL for 9 years. I think I'm qualified to judge that.

Ponzi Scheme Perry.

Run with it.

:thup:

BTW did Perry once say or write SS was unconstitutional? Is that true?

Last edited:
Ponzi Scheme Perry.

Has anyone ever actually asked him to define "Ponzi scheme"? That should be entertaining.

So the two of you see no parallels?

I see plenty of parallels. I even agree with the position Perry has taken. I'm just not convinced he does, or even understands it. Sounds to me like Bush's "no nation-building" sales pitch when he was in the primaries. We saw how far that went.

Well, the way Congress has abused its trust in the foundation that Social Security Insurance was supposed to have been, it's not too far out of line to call it a Ponzi Scheme in order to get people to thinking, maybe we should spank Congress' naughty mitts for touching it, and take it back to its original plan--funds SET ASIDE, NOT FOR PUBLIC USE, KEEP YER MITTS OFF PEOPLES SAVINGS ACCOUNTS, DUMBO CONGRESS FUND-GRABBERS--and let Congress go figure it out how they will from here on out respect peoples' hard-earned savings, and leave it alone.

The first thing foundation board members learn about funds someone donates to a certain aspect of a church's budget, is that if the person who donates the fund designates it to Missions, then it is not to be dipped into to fund building a lap pool for the Manse.

By the same token, peoples' social security funds are set up to be their retirement fund, not a down payment on a home at any time they choose, and certainly not for the Klutzes in Congress to fund ACORN groups to re-elect themselves at two-year intervals. :rolleyes:

Ponzi Scheme Perry.

Has anyone ever actually asked him to define "Ponzi scheme"? That should be entertaining.

We have to reform SS. The math doesn't work. I see the parallels of the argument but it is not much different than saying "All US debt is a Ponzi Scheme." A candidate would be laughed at if he said that during a debate.

I asked several long-time residents of Florida this morning - all Republicans - "Can a Presidential candidate win Florida by calling SS a 'Ponzi Scheme.'" All said "no." FWIW

We have to reform SS. The math doesn't work. I see the parallels of the argument but it is not much different than saying "All US debt is a Ponzi Scheme." A candidate would be laughed at if he said that during a debate.

I asked several long-time residents of Florida this morning - all Republicans - "Can a Presidential candidate win Florida by calling SS a 'Ponzi Scheme.'" All said "no." FWIW

Ask them how people are supposed to collect a check after 2037.

The real winner in the debate is Obama. Rick Perry won ground with Republicans with his stand on Social Security, Global Warming, and certainly condemning Obama. However, calling the president a liar, the Fed Chairman a traitor, referring to Social Security as Ponzi scheme might endear him to the Tea Party but it will hurt him badly in a general election. A candidate who considers Social Security an illegal unconstitutional scheme is not going to win Florida, a state Republicans will need, but it goes further than that. He holds three positions that the vast majorities of the American public, including Republicans won't buy, Americans would be better off without Social Security and Medicare and the federal government should do nothing to counteract the economic crash.

Romney looked like a presidential candidate.

Ron Paul was Ron Paul, a libertarian running as a Republican.

Bachmann is out of it.

The rest are just getting their hat in ring for VP or upping there status on the lecture circuit.

On one of the channels, probably MSNBC, a panelist made an interesting comment. If Reagan was in that debate, he would have lost hands down.

How so?

The best part of the debate last night didn;t even happen during the debate. It happened before it with a political attack AD against Perry from Ron Paul. Although I am not a rightwingnut, I sure did enjoy that TV Ad :lol:

Apparently, Perry doesn't want the votes of senior citizens. I bet the RNC and Republican insiders in Washington are horrified.

What is he thinking??? There are so many of us baby boomers!!! And the first of the baby boomers turned 65 this year. I don't understand Perry's motives on this issue. I really don't.

It's a conservative thing really.

If you are not part of the elite..they want you fired at 50 and dead at 60.

Governor Jan Brewer showed them the way when she cut funding on 2 vital operations that killed 2 people.

THATS what conservatives want for America.

I'm seven years from the dead bit. I wonder if they'd be willing to make suicide legal so we can just go out quietly?

That's assuming the status quo remains in place.

Well, the way Congress has abused its trust in the foundation that Social Security Insurance was supposed to have been, it's not too far out of line to call it a Ponzi Scheme in order to get people to thinking, maybe we should spank Congress' naughty mitts for touching it, and take it back to its original plan--funds SET ASIDE, NOT FOR PUBLIC USE, KEEP YER MITTS OFF PEOPLES SAVINGS ACCOUNTS, DUMBO CONGRESS FUND-GRABBERS--and let Congress go figure it out how they will from here on out respect peoples' hard-earned savings, and leave it alone.

Al Gore called your suggestion the "Lock Box", and both of you are correct:eusa_whistle:

They Blue Hairs will be dead in 2037.

They Blue Hairs will be dead in 2037.

When you factor in the devaluation of the dollar over the last 50ish years and the lack of anything close to a comparable rising pay scale for the working class it's not very surprising that SS is deficient at best and in serious danger of death at worst. Either way Perry as a politician is a moron for saying what he said, and Romney as a politician successfully retorted and probably grabbed a good number of the voters Perry turned off with those comments.

If he is anywhere near the top of the next set of polls I'll be completely shocked.

I find it refreshing to hear someone who doesn't spout hope and change without substance.

Wow.........

Texas Gov. Rick Perry clung to his skepticism of climate change science in Wednesday’s Republican presidential debate when he was asked if he believes man-made climate change is happening.

“The science is not settled on this. The idea that we would put Americans’ economy at jeopardy based on scientific theory that’s not settled yet to me is just nonsense,” Perry said. “Just because you have a group of scientists who stood up and said here is the fact. Galileo got outvoted for a spell,” he said.

Perry was referencing the Galileo affair of the 1600′s when the scientist was accused of heresy for his scientific theories. Through his telescopic findings, Galileo offered support for heliocentrism, the scientific theory first developed by Copernicus that the sun is stationary and the planets revolved around it, but this was in direct conflict with scientific and philosophical theories of Aristotle and Ptolemy, who believed the Earth was the center of the universe, and the Catholic Church, which adhered to a literalist interpretation of Scripture, such as Psalm 104:5 which reads “the Lord set the earth on its foundations; it can never be moved.”

Galileo underwent a trial in 1633 for his book “Dialogue Concerning the Two Chief World Systems,” which compared the theories of Copernicus and Ptolemy. Galileo was convicted of grave suspicion of heresy” and was sentenced to house arrest for the duration of his life.

Rick Perry, Galileo and Global Warming - ABC News

Using Galileo to deny global climate change? Who is he, the Catholic Church?

Forum List

Back