Gonna try again! Tips? Cold Turkey from smoking

We kicked it by setting still in a library for three days. After that time (72 hours) nicotine is out of the system, and it's only psychology.

A long long time friend was in the hospital with major lung problems... He had smoked chewed Marlboro Reds for over 50 years and was a long haul truck driver... On top of that when he was in town he shoved a glass pipe in his mouth... He lived in his truck or on my couch, but I wouldn't let him smoke crack in my apartment... So he never stayed long and was in and out... Anyway he had medical issues and was in hospital but was being released... It was Jan and cold out so I decided I was going to tell him he had to go out on the balcony to smoke cigarettes... Now I had my own 2.5 to 3 pack a day habit with camel filters, how was I going to tell him he couldn't with me sitting there puffin away? The day Jeff got out of the hospital I threw my cigarettes away and haven't smoked one since... That's how pissed I was at my good friend... He was killing himself and wouldn't stop... I wasn't going to abandon him but I was not going to make it easy on him while he was at my house... He left after awhile, couple of months and there I set, getting fat... But I didn't smoke... Jeff died about a year later... We had some really wild times together... That was about 8.5 years ago... I still miss Jeff and Camels...
Probably not much help Gracie, but that's my story and I am sticking to it...

I put my last pack in my pocket and it was all crumpled up.........was there but didn't use it.......on a couple of occasions.......I pulled out one cig.....took one puff only and threw the cig away.......just one puff.

I will run out of cigs Sunday night. Cold turkey Monday morning. Got any tips for me? I know the nicotine will be out of my system within 3 days. The problem is the HABIT of when I get stressed...wanting that quick fix with a cig. So..to NOT do that...anyone here do cold turkey and do you have any tips to share?

I have the patch, but decided not to bother with them. If I'm gonna quit, then I'm gonna quit. No patch.
I also have Wellbutrin, but I don't like the side effects I read about. I don't want something to fuck with my brain when I already have a fucked up brain, lol. So again..I decided cold turkey...again. I usually fail. But mostly I failed because I LIKED smoking. I'm not liking it much any more, plus when we move, I don't want to have to walk off the property to smoke one, plus I don't want to spend the money any more to buy the damn things, plus I'm too frigging old to be puffing and smelling and hating myself cuz I have this nasty ass habit.

Any suggestions and tips will be much appreciated. I know I'm gonna get fat(ter), but what the hell. I already gained 10 lbs since this covid shit and the HEAT here is horrendous so all I can do is hang out inside this tiny apartment and....eat. Or rather snack. A lot. I rarely eat big meals. Its little here, little there, mostly fattening stuff. Sigh. And now..no smokes either. Ack!!!
Orient your attention to everything you'll gain by not smoking.....All the research I've seen points out that most people will put 3X or more effort into attaining something that they want, over avoiding that which they don't.

"Quitting smoking" puts your attention on the smoking much in the way of what you'd do if I told you not to think of a big red stop sign.

New Topics

Forum List

Back