Golf, Just sharing your Golf this Spring/Summer/Fall 2024

Winco

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2019
Today, went out to local course for 9 holes.
58°, no wind, no bugs, sunny.
It is Western WA, so it will warm up in June, July, August and September.

Shot 44, felt good.
Good time with my two Neighbors.

Current handicap is 18.4

I also played 9 holes, with my son and his friend a couple days ago. A beautiful breezy day 70 degrees. I'm playing with a new set of hybrid irons which I love. I hit them 10 yards farther per club. Shot 41 on a pretty tough course. Current Index 8.3.

I started golfing about 25 years ago when I was 50. I thought I would be able to get "good" within a fairly short time...boy was I wrong. Here in Western Pennsylvania there haven't been many good golfing days thus far, although I played 8 eighteen-hole rounds in Florida in February. By the last of them I was in "mid-season form."

I now play from the Geezer tees. When I play courses with which I'm familiar, I normally shoot a little better than "bogey golf," and on unfamiliar courses a little worse than that.

I greatly enjoy playing golf, even though I get angry with myself often. There are few things that one does at my age that give me the same satisfaction as a good golf shot.

I could write basically the same things about bowling, Fortunately, I'm a lot better bowler than I am a golfer.

Never tried it.

A lot of folks were golfing early last week because of the unusual warm weather, but right now a foot of snow is falling. So back to hibernation it is.

We are members of a golf course but I only play maybe once or twice a year these days. The wife and kiddies use it mostly for the gym, pool & tennis/pickleball courts. I kind of think they ruined the golf course when they switched from bent grass to Bermuda greens. Not a fan of the greens plus they had to cut down a massive number of mature trees just to get the extra sunlight onto the new greens.

We are members of a golf course but I only play maybe once or twice a year these days. The wife and kiddies use it mostly for the gym, pool & tennis/pickleball courts. I kind of think they ruined the golf course when they switched from bent grass to Bermuda greens. Not a fan of the greens plus they had to cut down a massive number of mature trees just to get the extra sunlight onto the new greens.
They cut down mature healthy trees because they changed the grass on the greens? Wow that's messed up.

I started golfing about 25 years ago when I was 50. I thought I would be able to get "good" within a fairly short time...boy was I wrong. Here in Western Pennsylvania there haven't been many good golfing days thus far, although I played 8 eighteen-hole rounds in Florida in February. By the last of them I was in "mid-season form."

I now play from the Geezer tees. When I play courses with which I'm familiar, I normally shoot a little better than "bogey golf," and on unfamiliar courses a little worse than that.

I greatly enjoy playing golf, even though I get angry with myself often. There are few things that one does at my age that give me the same satisfaction as a good golf shot.

I could write basically the same things about bowling, Fortunately, I'm a lot better bowler than I am a golfer.
If you get a chance, try hitting hybrid irons. They are just fun to hit and for me longer and more accurate.

They cut down mature healthy trees because they changed the grass on the greens? Wow that's messed up.
Yep. Broke my heart. They needed to get more light on several of the greens for the bermuda to thrive as we are not in an ideal place for those type greens to begin without being in the full sun all day. It was a stupid move but the guy (whose family has more or less dictated how the golf course has been run for generations) became obsessed with the idea that we should have bermuda greens and that was that. For us, they are more labor intensive (and thereby expensive) and still have turf grass disease problems. They are just different diseases than the ones he thought we would solve by switching.

I'm in eastern Pa. and I have a lot of the same things going as you do. Fogey tees, Past my prime in golfing and drinking but still hanging on in bowling. Played at Ventana Canyon in Tuscon in Jan. and hit 90 from the Whites, the other three people I played with were young so I hit with them. It went much better than I hoped, coming off carpal tunnel and a trigger finger op. in Sept. But I love golf, even on shitty days. And me being over here in the Poconos-Lehigh Valley, there's a ton of courses to play. We lost two of our foursome last year, one with Mesothelioma and the other with arrythmia, both still alive, so my philosophy is to keep doing it and enjoying it until you can't do it anymore. Have a great summer all you golfers.

Yep. Broke my heart. They needed to get more light on several of the greens for the bermuda to thrive as we are not in an ideal place for those type greens to begin without being in the full sun all day. It was a stupid move but the guy (whose family has more or less dictated how the golf course has been run for generations) became obsessed with the idea that we should have bermuda greens and that was that. For us, they are more labor intensive (and thereby expensive) and still have turf grass disease problems. They are just different diseases than the ones he thought we would solve by switching.
And if you have periods of no rain the Bermuda will go yucky brown and will need a lot of watering. That's a shame.

Last edited:
I'm in eastern Pa. and I have a lot of the same things going as you do. Fogey tees, Past my prime in golfing and drinking but still hanging on in bowling. Played at Ventana Canyon in Tuscon in Jan. and hit 90 from the Whites, the other three people I played with were young so I hit with them. It went much better than I hoped, coming off carpal tunnel and a trigger finger op. in Sept. But I love golf, even on shitty days. And me being over here in the Poconos-Lehigh Valley, there's a ton of courses to play. We lost two of our foursome last year, one with Mesothelioma and the other with arrythmia, both still alive, so my philosophy is to keep doing it and enjoying it until you can't do it anymore. Have a great summer all you golfers.
Your weather is a little better than ours...east of the Alleghenies. As long as I can have the occasional good round (low 80's), I think I'll keep it up. Although my drives get a little shorter every year, it is still possible to work on skills to maintain or improve handicap.

And if you have periods of no rain the Bermuda will go yucky brown and will need a lot of watering. That's a shame.
We have a really expensive irrigation system to handle that part (which is part of why we had disease issues with bent because they were overusing it and the other being that they mow the greens too short so it is like putting on glass). The bigger issue is that in cold weather they have to dye the greens green and cover them up with giant tarps every night and then remove them every morning. They just get pythium now instead of brown patch. If it were just golf, I would move to the club on the opposite side of our hood from that one. Unfortunately, it is a private owner club who bulldozed the courts and filled in the pool because he didn't see any value in having them (plus he is an ass). My better half is the only reason we still have a membership. If it were up to me, I would have dropped it 5 years ago when they converted the greens.

My Current Driver is a Taylor Made R9 460, 10.5°

I'm thinking it's time to upgrade.

Thoughts on these upgrades?

Screenshot 2024-03-25 at 6.09.01 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-03-25 at 6.10.36 PM.png

Exactly what do you hope to gain with a new driver?

The best I've heard is that a few of them are more forgiving, and maybe a few yards off the tee?

$600? How many strokes is that?

The best I've heard is that a few of them are more forgiving, and maybe a few yards off the tee?

At my golf club, we have a Hole-In-One Pot.
I got my 2nd Hole in One and received $1,200 in clubhouse credit.
Meaning, I must spend it in the Clubhouse.
Golf Balls, Golf Gloves, Clubs, etc.
I need to spend it by Dec 31, 2024.

DO you get it now?

I'm leaning toward this club.
$599 plus that dreaded Tax.

Might bring down my clubhouse credit to (1200 - 599 plus tax) to only $550.

Or should I spend the $1,200 on Gloves, Balls, Golf Tees?

Geez, be happy dude.
I know I am.

Screenshot 2024-03-28 at 5.15.31 PM.png

Ordered the Callaway Driver
Ai Smoke Max.

Arrives next week.

Par 3 Tournament on Saturday.

Shot 45 on Front 9 today.
52° and calm.

Forum List

Back