Golf great Arnold Palmer dead at 87

I was lucky enough to watch Arnold Palmer play in a senior tournament. Pop and I were at the third hole, a par 3 so we could watch the players tee off and then putt. We wondered when Arnold Palmer was about to play. When we saw that corkscrew swing on the tee box, we knew he was coming. The crowd fell silent, then broke into a massive roar as he birdied. Mr. Palmer's smile and easy manner will be sorely missed.

Rest in Peace to one of the classiest sports figures in memory! If everyone conducted themselves like Arnold Palmer did...there would be a hell of a lot fewer problems in the world right now!

Arnold Palmer Dies In Pittsburgh At 87

R.I.P. Arnie. Your Army salutes you.

No one ever meant more to golf than Arnold Palmer. In fact, (next to Ali and outside of soccer) he might be considered the greatest international ambassador of sports ever. And deservedly so. He made golf a TV sport. Arnie was extremely likable and charismatic. You cannot be like that if you are a jerk (I could name a number of major super stars who fall into that pack). Jack was a gracious champion too, by the way. And along with Gary Player, what greatness.

Arnie was without question my favorite golfer. But then again, I am probably speaking for 50 million people. God bless him.

I guess that blood thinner he pushes isn't that great.

Do blood thinners come with a guarantee to live past 90?

That was the most appropriate post you could come up with the passing of this great man?

That was the most appropriate post you could come up with the passing of this great man?

I don't toe your PC line.

The line you DO toe is damned inappropriate, Hutch! Show some class.

Why you PC policing me bro?

Because Arnold Palmer was a rare human being...someone who was rich, famous and not an asshole! His passing means we have one less such person and isn't a topic for levity. Why does anyone need to "police" you on something so obvious?

I can remember years ago flying into local airports around the country and often times seeing Arnold Palmers Lear jet tied down on the same ramp we tied down at.
One time we tied down right next to his plane, Houston I think, while a local cleaning crew was washing & vacing his plane. The crew let me stick my head in the door and take a quick look. I was surprised at how tiny it was inside. Very cramped. The Cessna light twin turboprop we were flying offered noticebly more room inside with the same number of seats although no where near the performance.

The death of Jose Fernandez is a tragedy, Whitehall but Arnold Palmer is an iconic figure both in golf but also in American philanthropy.

Because Arnold Palmer was a rare human being...someone who was rich, famous and not an asshole! His passing means we have one less such person and isn't a topic for levity. Why does anyone need to "police" you on something so obvious?

To PCers are ruining this country.
I'm just telling it like it is.

The greatest ambassador for the game of golf ever and in large part due to just being a very fine unassuming human being in spite of his sports superstar status.

Rest in peace, Arnie. Your Army will miss you always.

To PCers are ruining this country.
I'm just telling it like it is.

No, you seem to think posting a snarky post like that makes you cool...when all it really does is show how little class you have.

I remember reading a story about Arnold Palmer.

He was home alone the day that Secretariat won the triple crown. He cried when he saw big red cross the finish line thirty one lengths ahead of his nearest competitor.

Haywood Hale Broun told him that on that day he saw perfection.

Its a story I'll never forget and Arnold Palmer was a class act in every way and he will certainly be missed and he was perfection on the golf course.

Forum List

Back