Goff coming into his own as an NFL quarterback.

LA RAM FAN

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2008
I did not get to see the game since in my area the NFL network did not carry this pre season game but I heard Goff looked good in that game from others so I found some clips of highlights of the game. as you can see from these clips,Goff indeed is looking more and more like an NFL starting Quarterback and coming into his own. Looks like they got a pretty good reliable backup as well.

I dont expect them to be a playoff contender or anything this year but I figure they will at least win twice as many games this year as last year and that would be an improvement. From those highlights,I can for sure see now WHY they were high on Goff.:thup:

Looks like Todd Gurley and the other Ram players as well after having a season under their belt in LA now,have been able to put the distraction of playing in the big LA market behind them as well also and it is no longer a distraction to them.:thup: No surprise,I knew it would not take them more than a year or two to get past that distraction of being in the spotlight under the radar. these are professionals you know.:D

this is a good article as well how he has come into his own,:thup:

Jared Goff shows he's growing into role of Rams quarterback
His teammates have noticed more confidence, more conviction.

"You can tell, especially just starting with the command of the offense, him being able to take that and control the huddle and get guys lined up, and keep that poise when things aren’t going well and when things are going well," said Higbee, Goff's roommate throughout training camp last year. "He looks good."

"More confident, more relaxed, more poised in the pocket" is how second-year receiver Mike Thomas compared this year's Goff to last year's Goff. "Letting the game come to him and taking his time, being patient on the field."

This was NOTHING like the Jared Goff we saw last year.I cant ever ONCE remember him having a game like this as seen in this video. His play will be much more improved this year. I remember people around here and others i would talk to at my workplace who were already writing him off last year as an NFL quarterback just from his bad play of last year.:cuckoo:

They did not seem to understand that not everybody can be a Russel Wilson and come strait out of college and look like an NFL quarterback their first season.:uhoh3::cuckoo:

Wilson also finished college where Goff was just 21 years old,a baby right out of college so of course he was going to look like he did not belong in the NFL last year coming straight out of college and having very little time to get adjusted to the speed at the pro level and very little time in training camp to get used to his team mates.:rolleyes:

Having an entire off season to work with them and get to know them though and study film has really paid off for him though. People dont remember that even John Elway stunk it up his first year in the pros as did Peyton Manning.:D and it took Eli like three or four years before he came into his own.

Now that he has an offensive minded coach in Sean Mcvey and is free of that moron Jeff Fisher and PLUS the addiiton of Sammy Watkins as a receiver,my LA buddies have a lot to look forward to this year.Watkins has been a major addition for them.Just his presence on the field alone and finally having a legitmate number one receiver to throw to,opens things up for the other receivers he has.:)

I said many times the last couple years once the Rams came to LA,they would get serious about building a winner and would want to win.the signing of Goff,the long over due firing of jeff Fisher and now the signing of Sammy Watkins proves that being in LA now,they are indeed trying to win.:thup: something Kroneke NEVER tried to do in stank louis.:D

Last edited:
He looks good but it is pre-season.

Bradford in 2011 led all QB's in the pre-season in TD's. The next 3 years he had nearly perfect back to back pre-seasons (8TD's 0 INT's 120 QB rating). That 3rd year Shaun Hill and Austin Davis also combined for 6 TD's and only 1 INT and a 110 combined rating. The last two years Case Keenum has put together a pre-season QB rating of 107 with no INT's.

He looks good. About as good as Tom Savage and Jared Webb. But lets see him do it in the regular season with a real game plan and real defense.

thanks for stopping by WRONGwinger.lol

No need for name calling there. I'm just pointing out to temper your expectations. There's a LOT of pre-season hero's who weren't good NFL QB's. Sam Bradford was one of the best.

Goff may turn out to be a good QB. But preseason games aren't much of a measuring stick of that.

Goff may turn out to be a good QB. But preseason games aren't much of a measuring stick of that.

Thats a good point for sure however like I said,all you got to do to see he has vastly improved since last year is watch the games that he played in last year.He looked NOTHING like that last year at all EVER.

I have the preseason game on tape of last year where he got some good playing time against the cowboys and you watch that game and you watch THIS game,there is no comparison,he looked NOTHING like that last year in the pre season.

Rough game there in the dress rehearsal week 3. Seemed like a good position, facing the 29th ranked defense from last year.
Opened up with a great play/throw, and all downhill after that. Missed the easy TD on the seam route, then held too long and the fumble returned for the TD. The INT just looked really bad and ended up costing another 7 points. That final drive was all running game until he missed the easy 3 yard hitch and then threw short on third down.

Like I said though, it is pre-season. He arguably looked like the worst started in the league in the most important week of pre-season, but it's just pre-season.

It can no longer be debated that Goff has made huge tremendous strides as an NFL quarterback anymore.Goff got his first victory as an NFL starter yesterday in their blowout victory over the BALTIMORE Colts.

Goff Looked ravor sharp in this game bouncing back from a bad game a few weeks ago in week three in the pre season where he fumbled the ball and threw and interception which turned into 14 points for the chargers in that game.

I am not going to say that Goff is going to be a great quarterback or anything like that just based off one game.Something my Ram buddies in LA need to remember is that the Colts were playing without Andrew Luck and had a rookie QB that looked much like Goff did last year and as a result,their defense was tired because it was on the field all day long.so they need to keep that in mind and not get TOO excited about this win.

However as I said before,the reason fans in LA have something to get excited about in Goff this year unlike last year is last year towards the last 6 games of the year that Goff started,they played against some teams every bit as bad as the Colts last year like the 49ers for instance and they could NEVER get touchdowns from Goff,They had to settle for field goals each time.PLUS as I said in my OP,Goff NEVER looked anything like the quarterback he is this year where in that Raiders game and in this game against the Baltimore Colts,he has for sure looked like an NFL ready starting quarterback..

that all changed yesterday when they scored MANY touchdowns.This is just one game and Goff may go out and play like the quarterback of the Colts did next week but as he has proved in yesterdays game,he has now adjusted to the speed of the game in the NFL and looks like an NFL starting quarterback and his off season hard work and game film study had paid dividends.

He has now adjusted to the speed of the NFL and has adapted to how it is much faster than in college.after watching yesterdays game,you could understand now WHY they gave away future number one draft picks to trade up for the number one spot for him.

Plus as i said before,he doesnt have a moron for his head coach in Jeff Fisher anymore. Sean Mcvey is a lot like John Gruden.,another young coach and good offensive mind.there are some similaritys in the two.

Last edited:
as I said in my op as well,it looks like Todd Gurley and the other Rams players have made the adjustment of being in the limelight of LA and have now adjusted to the distractions they were new to last year. Does not surprise me in the least.These are professionals after all we are talking about.i Knew at least by next year they would adjust to it,they have adjusted to it even quicker than I expected.:)

Forum List

Back