God never promised you would be happy in this life...

Blackrook

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2014
...but despite everything, if you have faith enough, you will achieve some sort of peace of mind and soul, which is better than happiness because it's more real.

...but despite everything, if you have faith enough, you will achieve some sort of peace of mind and soul, which is better than happiness because it's more real.
What kind of pseudo hippy god babble is that? Quote a scripture please.

Happiness is assured in Heaven not here. There are trials and temptations here. After this world is ended there will be joy.

Revelation 21:4 He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the former things have passed away."

That was one of the things Mary told St. Bernadette at Lourdes. Bernadette suffered much, not only through physical suffering due to her chronic poor health, but also through the jealousy and suspicion from others because she was given the grace of visits from the Blessed Mother. This proved true the words Our Lady spoke to Bernadette at the grotto, "I do not promise to make you happy in this world, but in the other."

The Story of St. Bernadette and Our Lady of Lourdes

I beg your pardon, I never promised you a rose garden.

You can get the same feeling from a bottle of wine... and it would be just as meaningful.

There is no God. The sooner we realize that and try to fix our own problems, the better.

You can get the same feeling from a bottle of wine... and it would be just as meaningful.

There is no God. The sooner we realize that and try to fix our own problems, the better.
And the wine is a heck of a lot more fun!

And the wine is a heck of a lot more fun!

Some people mix wine and religion!

v2-pope-francis-wine.jpg

Pimp cup!

so-without faith, you can't be happy?
That's not what I said.

I said, even when you have faith in God, God does not guarantee you happiness in this life.

But the answer to your question is this:

I do not believe a person who does not believe in God can ever fill that God-sized hole with something else.

Some people try to fill it with sex, some with drugs or alcohol, others with money and the things money can buy.

But only God fits in that hole.

so-without faith, you can't be happy?
That's not what I said.

I said, even when you have faith in God, God does not guarantee you happiness in this life.

I do not believe a person who does not believe in God can ever fill that God-sized hole with something else.

Some people try to fill it with sex, some with drugs or alcohol, others with money and the things money can buy.

but that would only be true if there is a god
so you claimed it--you have to prove it

That's not what I said.

Actually, what I found out when I became an atheist is what a relief it was.

No more feeling guilty over thoughts I would never act on.
No more worrying that some magic fairy on a cloud was watching me 24/7
No more having to resolve conflicting stupidity in the bible.

So why does god make deformed and retarded babies who live in constant pain until they die in their teens?

So why does god make deformed and retarded babies who live in constant pain until they die in their teens?
I have asked that question many times, because I have significant health problems that have held me back, thwarting my efforts to support my family.

The answer is in the Book of Job. When Job asked God why he was allowed to suffer so much hardship when he always been a good and virtuous man, God answered him:

"Were you there when I laid down the four corners of the Earth?"

Obviously, the answer is "no" Job was not there watching God create the universe.

What God is saying is, you have no idea what it takes to create a universe and keep it running. If you could do my job, you would understand why I have to allow bad things to happen to good people. But you can't do my job, so even if I answered your question, you would not understand the answer. You are a human, with a very limited understanding of the universe. I am God, and know everything there is to know.

I have asked that question many times, because I have significant health problems that have held me back, thwarting my efforts to support my family.

The answer is in the Book of Job. When Job asked God why he was allowed to suffer so much hardship when he always been a good and virtuous man, God answered him:

Obviously, the answer is "no" Job was not there watching God create the universe.

What God is saying is, you have no idea what it takes to create a universe and keep it running. If you could do my job, you would understand why I have to allow bad things to happen to good people. But you can't do my job, so even if I answered your question, you would not understand the answer. You are a human, with a very limited understanding of the universe. I am God, and know everything there is to know.
That's dumb.

That's dumb.
You're dumb.

That's dumb.
You're dumb.
Maybe, but so is that. You're saying god is incompetent and can't handle all the work so he let's some fucked up things go. That's kinda dumb, isn't it?

That's dumb.
You're dumb.
Maybe, but so is that. You're saying god is incompetent and can't handle all the work so he let's some fucked up things go. That's kinda dumb, isn't it?
The answer is this:

It is not possible to create and run a universe, even if you're God, where life is always fair to everyone.

Forum List

Back